Family lawyers?

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Cody, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Cody

Cody New Member

Can any one recommend a good family/child custody lawyer in Perth? Preferably north of the river. My partners ex is moving further away which is going to stop him from being able to see his daughter as much as he would like. She will be working full time and putting their daughter in day care for a large amount of time. He has suggested to her that his daughter come live with us, which we (and her) have wanted for a long time anyway. She will not allow this though. He is the most dedicated father you could ever meet and his life revolves around her. We constantly have teachers, other parents and even her family members comment how much happier she is when she is with her dad and she often doesnt want to go back to her mums when she is with us. We do not want to 'steal' her from her mum but that is exectly what she is doing to my partner. I could go on for hours about this but we really just need to talk to a proffessional as the ball always seems to go in the mothers favour and we are sick of it!

2. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Im sorry but at the end of the day She is the Mother and weather you or your OH like it or not
    She has a life & has to work to be able to support her child
    Even though you say your OH is a Fantastic Father etc put yourself in her shoes...Would you give up your child to EX
    I am a Single mother of 3 and there is NO WAY i would be letting my EX have full custody of any of my children

3. Crafty

Crafty Well-known Member

Not sure on lawyers in perth but dont give up hope :) The going rate in the family court these days is 50% 50% which means half the time with her and half with you guys :)

surely someone will have a good recomendation for a lawyer to help you guys out. In for the long haul though family court can get nasty its a very touchy emotional process which generally involves lots of mud slinging but the rewards are very worth it :)

My son has 50 50 care between myself and his father and he happily enjoys flitting between both families getting the best of both worlds :)*

4. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Dont waste your money on a lawyer because both mum and dad will have to go through mediation first anyway before getting to family court. Save your pennies and contact mediation centre - Anglicare is in joondalup and they do mediation services for Family courts. Both parents can make a parenting plan for the child through mediation without a lawyer.

Good luck.

5. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

50/50 is good Crafty..but would you let your son go for good to his Fathers
    I am all for being amicable but not it all going one way
    Hope you find someone who has some good recomendations

6. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

How old is the daughter? Isn't there an age (12?) where they are allowed to make their own decision?

7. Cody

Cody New Member

Yes I have put myself in her position for the last 2 +1/2 years and have tried sooo hard to do the right thing but just because she is the mum does not mean she is right!!!!!!!!! Sorry but this is the attitude my partner and I are sick off. 50/50 is what the agreement is suposed to be but his downfall is that he is male and has limited say which in my opinion is completely f@&*^d!!! If she moves it means a 4 hour round trip to get her to school each day when she is with us. ANYWAY all I am asking for is recomendation for people to speak to not narrow minded self indulged opinions as I already know most single mothers think all men are bastards.

8. Cody

Cody New Member

thankyou to those people who are sending positive messages, We do appreciate it. We are not looking to get sole custody just a fair and equal say in his daughters life.

9. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

Yep. Raised by a single dad, I get it. It can feel Very unfair and biased towards the female parent, regardless of suitability. I hope things work out for you. Maybe you will have to think about moving yourselves, if the mother won't come to the party.

10. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Another raised by a single Dad, who I chose to live with from the age if 11. You are right in that it's around 12 kids get to have a say, but factors such maturity level do come into account. We also got custody of my OHs children, though the mother played games and the oldest went to live with her at age 14. She interfered with our discipline and as a result the oldest has no self respect, 2 children by 2 different fathers, never had a job, has DCP involved with the care of her children and she is only 20. The other child who has lived with us is just finishing her TEE and is hoping to get into physcology and she reckons her sister is a fascinating study LOL. my daughter is a police officer and just bought a house by herself at 21.

We got custody with a lawyer. Unfortunately the system is a game. You need the right teachers to help you get the result you want. I suggest if you can afford it, then get a lawyer. They are very expensive. It cost my OH 15k, but at least we managed to keep one on track, rather than lose them both to a dead end life. Though the OH ex has conceded that maybe she should have pushed the oldest back to us and she may not have turned out the way she did.

11. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Narrow Minded
    sorry but i just gave you my opinion so no need to get on your high horse
    And NO i DONT think ALL Men are B.......
    I just dont think many women whatever the circumstaces would give there child up
    Just MY OPINION

12. thebobstar

thebobstar Active Member

you will find that no mother is going to just give her child up for her X and his wife or partner to raise.
    Maybe there is a valid reason for her moving? have you all talked rationally about it? or just gone off as she is moving?

Sorry but courts are not going to stop her moving away or give you full custody just becasue she has to work to provide for the child.

and wow your comment about most women that are single mums are men hates #( what a load of crock and shows how judgemental you are.

13. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Also maybe she is just getting on with HER life so why should she not move so she can start afresh
    I dont think because her and your OH have split that she has to stay in the same place and situation just because it doesnt suit you both
    Dont you think it would be hard for her to have to start a fresh
    Also have you got children???
    And who is to say This wont be You in the same situation years down the track
    Just something to think about

14. Crafty

Crafty Well-known Member

Love ya guts Paula :)

I have actually contemplated recently handing the kids over to live with their dad so I can get a better paid job fly in fly out :) I would miss them badly but I beleive I should be entitled to work work work like he does if I need to

to everyone else and the OP

This is a extremely touchy subject so if your replying to the OP on this thread do try and be compasionate for her being the step mother is an incredibly hard position to be in I am currently in this position for my OH's child who he rarely gets to see and the mother is truly a difficult woman.

Mediation is the first step so that was dam fine advice and will save you the application costs of court for now although it does sound like a resoloution may not be met. One of the most important things I think here is that your OH the father needs to keep in mind that he has just as much legal right to that child as the mother does just because we single mums carried the baby inside us for 9 mths does not give us more rights to the child. Children are made by a male and a female which gives that male and female 50/50 rights.

goodluck if you need a chat to keep your spirits up pm me :)

P:S court orders can also be made to prevent mum from moving out of a certain radius which would make it easier for the child to be shared equally.

15. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

:):)
    Like i have said..This is my opinion Crafty and i DONT expect people to agree with me
    It is just something i could NEVER imagine me doing as to give my kids to EX no matter how Low and skint i have been for the last 15 months
    Also she isnt moving to another state its a 4 hr drive and yes this WILL be a drag but cant expect her to live her life around what others want im sorry
    And i am not being Harsh or looking for an arguement i just couldnt imagine any mother giving up her child thats all
    I hope you do get things sorted out but i wouldnt hold your breath

16. cleo

cleo Well-known Member

Is there a court order in place for the current arrangement? If there is she can not move that far away if it will affect the fathers time.

Will PM you a recommendation.

17. thebobstar

thebobstar Active Member

its actually a 2 hour drive she said 4h round trip.

18. Cody

Cody New Member

Thanks for the support guys. Nice to get some encouraging feedback from people in similar situations. We have been given a few numbers to try so we will go ahead with them and see how we go. I wont post anymore after this though as I really dont care about negative opinions of people who dont know us or the situation and its just going to turn into a slinging match so thanks again to all those who have helped out.

19. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Lmao, love ya Paula :p

Not that I'm old enough to post on this, and just from my mothers POV...

BUT I hate the arguement that ''she's working full time and the kids are in day care so they never see her anyway''.

Ummm HOW does a single parent (male or female) work full time (which they legally have to, and also need to so financially they can get the best for their child) AND not put the child in childcare/after school care.

It's of course fantastic, if two people are FINANCIALLY able to keep one person home from work to look after the kids.. but it's not reality for most people, and it does not make them a ''bad'' parent.

20. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Sorry you feel like this Cody
    This wont turn into an arguement but you cant expect everyone to have the same opinions