External Pregscan Animark

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Coliban Quarter Horse Stud, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Hi All!
    Being very remote with no repro vets in close proximity we have invested in the external ultrusound and never looked back.
    It is easy to use and is very accurate. We can pick up a pregnancy as early as at 14-15 days. The only drawback is - it doesn't detect twins.
    Does anyone else use it?
    We have been out to scan 3 mares in the big paddock (no need to bring them in) and all of them are in foal on the first cycle.
    It makes our life so much easier having good breeding mares, good fertile stallions and a little gadjet to detect the result of their matings.:)*
  2. sil

sil Gold Member

I'd love to hear more about it
  3. scotchmel

scotchmel New Member

We use it to preg test our cows. Works pretty good, saves us $3k a year, plus the cows are easy to get back in the yards next time around;)

Those that are not preg we then get a vet (or preg tester) to check, found it to be around 90% accurate!
  4. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Coli that "gadget" sounds amazing......do you need to put the ultrasound gel on it or just rub it over tummy's?
  5. EVP:)
    the little gadjet is a small box with a neck strap and a probe.
    For lubricant we use any vegetable oil squeezed on mare's flank just below the hip bone. There is no image on the screen, there are only random spikes. By positioning the probe in the right place it can detact a pregnancy, when 2 parallel spikes appear across the screen you know a mare is in foal.
    It takes a bit of practice to know where and what to look for. It takes us a couple of minuts, sometimes even less to pregscan a mare.
    ps the beauty of it is that you don't have to bring mares in the crush.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  6. cosycreekfarms

cosycreekfarms Active Member

sounds wonderful....where do we get one and what is the cost?
  7. e-bay! We bought ours from the US:D
  8. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

as you say, the only drawback is the lack of detection of twinning - which for us unfortunately is one of the main reasons for getting the scans done in the first place, if it'd detect that then heck I'd buy one - would save us 1000's of $$ in vet scans each season. Tell 'em to call me when it can detect twinning and I'll buy one!

But definately great for you guys - we have a refractometer for testing colostrum - but like this scanner - it is not the complete picture, definately doesn't tell tell if the foal actually recieves the correct amount of colostrum, but can help to anticipate future problems on the arise.
  9. Exactly, KPF!
    Life has taught me to be happy with little things:D, any scan is better than none!:}
    It saves us a lot of time and effort, we don't have to drag mares out of broad acres for teasing:)
  10. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Unless its a different one to the one Im thinking they sell for about 2.5 k
    but these ones DO detect twins so maybe Colibanqh has a different one, and might be less expensive.

I couldn't find any on ebay.

Very handy to have though!:))
  11. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Scanning isn't a luxury in breeding its a necessity. I might invest in one of those scanners.....lolol My vet will love that! Get him out for the 16 day only and do the rest ourselves....I can just see his face.
    Though we try and time visits so we might have a follicle scan, a preg test or follow up scan and a breeding all at the one time......doesn't work for all 3 all the time but still works well.

We've also neg a good deal in 'travel' from out vets. One repro vet has half price Wednesdays too! (thats travel costs not vet costs).
  12. EVP:D
    If you don't have a stallion at home to tease mares with, there is another gadget that might be handy - an ovulation detector/probe.
    Then you'd know when a mare will ovulate and then take her to the vets for insemination (to cut on agistment fees).
  13. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

Sounds interesting but there must be something in the water at my place because i have another mare with twins
  14. Is she a QH?
  15. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Which external scanner can detect twins?
  16. beau

beau Well-known Member

I would love one of those ovulation dector probes, where do you get those from?? Would make our lives so much easier.
  17. Beau:D
    We got ours from E-bay! :D We haven't been using ours, contact me if you are interested.
  18. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

The Animark External pregscan, apparently not the same one Colibanqh has.:))
  19. beau

beau Well-known Member

Have PM'd you colibanqh:)
  20. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I had a brief look on the Animark site and can't find any referrence to it being able to detect twinning. So a vet is most likely going to be needed for the 'regular' version ultrasound to determine twins.