Exercises for hindquarter muscle building

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Northern Peregrine, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

My warmblood needs some building up, particularly in the bum area. What are some good exercises that will help him build his behind muscles? Also ( wrong forum, I know) what good muscle building supplement can I get that's not too expensive? I ride him for an hour about four or five times a week at the moment.

2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Walking up and down hills does wonders for my boys big butt.

3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl Well-known Member

I'd be doing lots of long steady trot work, and find some steep'ish hills and perhaps swimming him. As far as feed additives, there's quite a few around (Muscle XL, Topon DX Forte, Zanobolic... the list goes on). There's quite a bit of info on Stockies, or try some google researching. :)

I'm sure others will have some more suggestions. **)

4. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

Unfortunately there is a shortage of hills.. steep or otherwise.. where I agist him in Wanneroo. Also he has an aversion to water ( have only just got him walking through puddles) so I'm not sure swimming would be the go. I guess lots of trotting sounds the best. He used to be quite muscley but lost it, along with most of his weight at another *nameless* agistment. He's got the body back through about 6 months of feeding up but not the muscles.

5. pso

pso Gold Member

work is the only thing that builds muscle!

muscle xl works well**)

6. BeccaBoo

BeccaBoo Well-known Member

If you're in Wanneroo, you could try finding some deepish sand to do some work in, just make sure you dont overwork him. It really gets them using their muscles when they're in the sand, and trust me, Wanneroo has alot of it lol
    Hills are by far the best though! :D

7. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Yep, slow walking in heavy sand if you have no hills/slopes. We work ours up gentle *bumps* in heavy sand and they have lovely big-assed butts :D

8. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

NP, from memory there's a track that runs down the right hand side of the pony club boundary fenceline that might be suitable. its got typical wanneroo sand and has a gentle slope that leads down to the herb farm. theres also some nice little steep bumps running through the bush near the pigeon racing club that comes off jambanis **)

edited: just remembered theres the grassed pathway that links between lenore and benmuni as well. not sure how steep that one would be but its worth checking out

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  9. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

Walking in deep sand is a great way to help develop muscles, but try not to go any quicker through the sand than you have too, as it can put a fair amount of strain on their legs.

10. Wrangler Miss

Wrangler Miss Well-known Member

Trotting over small cross rails is good.

Also ensuring that he is actually 'engaging' his hindquarters correctly when he is ridden will muscle and strengthen them as well.

Trot poles would be good as well!

All the best with your boy .... As owners/riders we are often the hardest critics on our own horses :) I'm sure he has a sexy bum!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  11. QH Rulz

QH Rulz Well-known Member

Hey... as you know us QH people like big butts too :) ..... We do alot of Back up to build muscles in theie behinds.

12. Wrangler Miss

Wrangler Miss Well-known Member

*hehe* Ain't that the truth QH Rulz :)

I like big butts and I can't deny, you other horse can no lie, when a mare walks in with an itty bitty flank and that round thing in your face your like .... Neigh!

13. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I have found being in the correct frame when in work helps alot. Win is building nice muscle in the back end but it takes time. We have been in full work for 3 months and he is developing nicely, still a bit to go. (his neck has doubled in thickness too, muscle not fat this time*#)) Getting them to do some rein back in their schooling helps with building the butt...

14. LeedaleLodgeChik

LeedaleLodgeChik Well-known Member

yeah my warmblood atm has no bum what so ever im just doing like not hard but it is hard for her cantering on white river sand each day doing circles and long stretches three loop serpentines etc etc... also doing alot of pole work on the ground and yeah she has built so much up now very proud but she is still needing more before i should do higher movements and jumps with her and she is only5 atm soo she has a little time

15. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Top on works well for building muscle. Muscle XL is basically just whey powder. If you read the ingredients list you'll see that it would be much cheaper just to buy whey powder!!

Lateral work will also help a lot as it forces the horse to engage its hind quarters if you're stuck in an arena. poles, hills, sand etc as everyone else is saying works too :)*

16. Fiestymama08

Fiestymama08 Well-known Member

Can you use the same stuff you can get from the health food shop Bec or do you need something especially for horsies.:confused:

17. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Normal whey powder from the shops is fine. Try Top-on first though as it really does a great job.

18. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Ditto top on is great, seems to have gone up a lot in price though :( but it does last for ages!

19. echo

echo Well-known Member

Can't help you much aside from what other have said, regarding to your horse working correctly, back up and sand/swimming.

But you deffiently can tell a QH lol...

Hamish my old TB and a friends QH mare who is never in work..
    [​IMG]

20. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

The way that you work your horse has the utmost effect in the muscling of him in all areas.
    You have to be riding him correctly in the first place, so that he works through from behind.
    As I have said many times, the poll is the balance point of the horse, and if he is ridden properly with your seat being deeply in the centre of your saddle, he will bring his hind legs underneath him properly, which in turn will build up the muscles on his behind. The added advantage of this is the fact that along with building those muscles up, he will also bring his head into the right position, working up onto the bit , which in turn will build his whole topline, including his back muscles and his neck muscles.
    This all happens because he has to drop his head to balance the drive from the hindlegs coming underneath him further, to balance the weight that is coming down on his back.
    The length of your stirrups has a lot to do with this, because if they are too short, you will be sitting in the back of your saddle and not where the weight is needed.
    Riding with your legs in neatly along side your horse, making sure that the inside of your legs and knees are in contact with the saddle, without stirrups, will also help to achieve this seat and therefore will help to build up the desired muscle.
    Ordinary good feed is all that is needed if he is ridden properly.