Exercises for green horses

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by kashybabe, Oct 21, 2008.

1. kashybabe

kashybabe Active Member

plz i need more excercises

2. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

Erm more information please? How green is green? How big? How old? How long under saddle? How many times ridden per week? How experienced are you? What exercises have you already tried?

Think that's all for now. :D

3. kashybabe

kashybabe Active Member

Hes been ridden for aprox 1 year hes 13.3-14 hh iv been riding for 7 years umm he gets ridden 2 times a week

4. kashybabe

kashybabe Active Member

btw he is 4

5. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

Ok, I'll try to give you some ideas without writing a book LOL.

The first thing to strive for with green horses is balance under saddle, then relaxation, rhythm and suppleness as per the training scale.

The way to achieve each of these is by riding transitions and circles, lots of them combined with lots of changes of rein. It's really important though that you are riding circles (not egg shapes) and that your horse is correctly bent around the circle as it's being ridden.

Obviously this is a very simplistic view but riding circles and variations of circles is a good way to start, make sure that you stick to mainly 20m circles with a green horse although you can spiral in and out to about 15m if your horse is balanced enough. Serpentines, two, three and four loop are all good variations of the circle as are figure eights etc... Google 'dressage exercises' and you'll find quite a few suggestions.

Hope that helps. :)

6. Taylorc

Taylorc Guest

Give equal importance to his mental & physical schooling.

Short, positive schooling sessions. Priorities are teaching him to move fwd off the leg, travelling calmly fwd in a steady rhythm. Don't be concerned with his head position, let him feel a light & even contact and definately allow him to stretch. Large circles, clear transitions and many offers of reward & relaxation.

And don't forget the ground work - lots of ground work.

Take him out for a bush ride once in a while, rather than fizzing his mind with endless arena work too. Or pop him over a few trot poles on the ground for some variety (that sort of thing).

7. Boo's Eclipse

Boo's Eclipse Well-known Member

Also don't get him into the habit of everytime he see's you, he's going to have to work, have fun with him too!

Lots & lots of ground work!!!

8. kashybabe

kashybabe Active Member

Okay thanks heaps

9. SayHello

SayHello New Member

What I do with some of the green horses at our barn is a start out with a nice walk. Some of the babies (greens) I can put in a neck stretcher if not, I try to teach them how to go on the bridle. After the walk, I ask for a trot. Since their still green, I try to keep them busy while working. Lots of circles, switching directions, and much more. Now some greens you are able to canter right at the start, but others may take a little longer. So if the horse/pony is ready to canter, I really would recommend transition work. Such as Walk to Canter, Trot to Walk. Canter to Trot, Etc.

10. southwardKIWI

southwardKIWI Well-known Member

have you got an uppdateon how your green horse has matured over the last few years, a few pic's would be a bonus......alan.