Ex - race horse's

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Unicorn, Feb 23, 2005.

1. CountryGurl_007

CountryGurl_007 Well-known Member

i have had exrace horses in the past and i got an ott tb as a lease horse and he was an absouloute mongrel to start wiv takin me through trees bucking and me falling off and then when he cam good i was riding him around in a halter and lead rope it took 6 soild months of contiounsly (sp) working with him and now he is back with his onwners and taking there daughter to pony club cool huh,

but then again i was riding a horse a bit last year a horse that had run in the perth cup when he was 6 and left in a paddock to now his current age 12 and i started to ride him and i couldnt even get him to do 4 strides of a walk with out him rearing or pig rooting, it all depends on the horse the way that it has been handle and howe confiedent that you are but i would defiantly not reccomend an OTT TB for a beginner no way hose aye lol

2. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

agreed that racehorses tend to get a bad wrap, when i know many xbreds and ponies that i would never let a child ride... the difference being that racehorses spend the start of their life being taught to run... that is their job. i have a gorgeous ex galloper and i would have no quarms with a kid getting on him supervised and at home i even had a 4yr old leading him around at a show recently, but i know he fires up when out and fit (couldnt care less when fat and unfit). just yesterday we were at a ODE and we were about to go into the arena to have a kid come flying past, pony bolting my horses reaction was to get tense and that was it...as far as im concerned id rather a kid on my horse than the pony that was bolting. on the other hand a friend has just got a mare off the track, there is no way that i would ever let a kids near this horse, not even to handle it... it is rude, has a temper and good aim with its back legs... our horses behaviou is 90% a product of their environment... if they have a bad start with an abusive trainer (whether is be a race or pleasure trainer) then they will more than likely not be suitable, regardless of breed.

i think ppl tend to forget that even if a otttb is 7 or 8, they should be treated like a v green started horse... theres not too many of those that ppl would stick their kid on... difference being that these guys have been taught to run everytime someone gets on...

3. megan1

megan1 New Member

are you talking about gallopers?? because i have an ex-pacer. when i bought him i didnt know as much as i do now he was for $200 and had been sitting in the paddock for a year or more. He was quiet skinny as his ribs were easily seen. i have now decided to sell him as im not home much because im at boarding school and the training i do when i go home is very limited as i dont have much time. hes 10yrs and i think he needs someone with more time to get the best out of him.

4. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Some ex-racers are great to ride straight of the track, but not many.:}

The racing programing is too great for some TBs, and some horses have more of a natural flight response to run first, dump the rider and ask questions later.

This is why they need some serious education on the ground and then under saddle to reprogram them for their new life.:D :))

5. Fluffy

Fluffy New Member

yeah i dont know guys i got my mare for $500 and shes real quiet. my racehorse anyone could ride and i was given a mare a few months ago and shes great a real beginners horse. It all depends on what the person selling them tells the buyer. I mean some people just want to get rid of the horse because it's bad and can see a sucker.

6. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

We have 4 TB's in our extended equine family, as well as a Shetland and a QH. I am far more confident with the TB's and the kids because having worked in the industry, I actually have more understanding of their younger years and what they would and wouldn't have been exposed to. I expect my Tb's to float confidently, not shy at traffic and be used to crowds, flags and louder noises. They may have been trained to run, but they have also been floated regularly and been exposed to quite a lot.

Now the QH who is 15? Who the hell knows what he's done? He MAY have been exposed to cattle, motorbikes (he doesn't think so tho), showing, etc. or he may have lived on one property and never been floated anywhere or even been handled by a female (he hates fussiness).

I fully believe that most TB's love females and can be as loyal as labradors as long as they have a confident leader. I am not saying world's best horserider here...just a confident human that the horse can trust in.

7. TobanMokey736

TobanMokey736 Well-known Member

I'd have to agree with those who love the humble stb. I've re educated a few stb's and they ARE so rewarding. it's a great feeling knowing that you've contributed to their future as someone's riding pleasure horse.
    Presently, i've got on ott tb who is turning out to be just wonderful. He's 14 and i think still registered as a stallion :confused: he's turning out to be the best thing i've bought for a while.**) :)

8. megan1

megan1 New Member

I agree. but then the reason iagree is because i've experienced it. My mum and dad were looking for a horse for me when i was a beginner and came across this ad that said, quite tb suitable for a beginner $500. Of course we went and bought and it turned out to be a 5yr old, 16hh just off the track tb. And to make it worse some friends told us AFTER we bought the horse that the lady that sold him wasnt a very good person to deal with. So that ended up with us selling the horse and me being horseless for a year or two. then we found my pony. Anyway now i have a ex-pacer stb, the thing i find wrong with him is that he gets nervous and is a bit big. but i was more experienced when i got him and have friends helping me to teach him to trot.

9. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

10. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Just had to have a look at what you had written lol.

Lets just round them all up and shoot em.

11. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Oh yeah that thread that wasn't offensive at all because no-one ever buys a big high powered warmblood and then finds themself unable to ride it.
    I'm totally over defending TB's go to any competition the numbers of fantastic, honest, willing ex-racehorses there will speaks for itself.

12. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Same here TBPA I love em. They add some spice to your life.

13. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

I love them too. On or off the track TB's are awesome. Some are a bit naughty but every one is different.:)*

14. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

And you know the funniest thing?? All over the world they cross other breeds with TBs to MAKE THEM BETTER and yet so many people are so quick to bag them.....:confused:

15. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

So true Pockets. Dont like them, dont go near them......

16. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Bundyprincess - just something to think about. A young TB off the track, taken into the bush by a young child. What the hell were your parents thinking? Were they legally trying to get rid of you or something?

To a young horse, any horse, the bush is full of smells we can't detect, sounds we have no chance of hearing, shadows, open spaces and uneven ground. All the while he has to trust that his young rider can protect him from all known evils (ha!) Generally on the first few rides he wouldn't know his way home if he did have his flight instincts kick in!

Do you really think that horse's aim was to take off and have you get hurt? Hell, he could have done that in the mounting yard if that was his intention. I notice you didn't mention the weeks of training you gave him to prepare him for your big adventure :)

Poor fellow is probably still drinking himself silly at night at the thought of hurting a youngster

17. chance18

chance18 New Member

I agree as well - ex race horses can be VERY DANGEROUS! especially in the wrong or inexperienced hands!! my girl was straight off the track & i am only now starting to trust the brakes & turning after months of ground work & her being remouthed properly so that she has some understanding!!
    I am VERY glad that I did not get on when I first got her as although she looked sweet & innocent & seemed nice & quiet - as soon as she got asked something she didnt want to do she would have a hissy fit & squeal at you!!!

please - to all those that think that exrace horses straight off the track are easy or a great option for any but the experienced - think again!!!! they have a lot of issues to be dealt with (mentally, physically etc) & it can be VERY difficult to overcome these issues without some decent experience & knowledge behind you!!

i consider that i have a lot of experience (over 15 years) with a wide range of horses but I was not prepared to deal with this horse & it is only with the help of some awesome stockies members that things have turned around & she is a relatively safe horse to be around!!

18. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

lol i think that giving otttbs the name of being 'potentially dangerous' and 'full of issues' is pretty stupid, yeh a lot of them are nut cases, but hey, theyre not bred with brains theyre bred with speed. my tb raced a sh*& load, both in france and hong kong, and was extremelely successful, ive now had him for 2 years and since point blank he has been nothing but easy. i can honestly say hes never bucked hes never reared, the most ive gotten out of him is a pig root, once. he was in the top 100 race horses internationally in 02, yet for the whole 2 years ive had him hes been ridden in spurs and a whip AT ALL TIMES!! if he was anymore laid back he would fall over. i agree not all otttbs are like this, many of them have their brains fried at a tender age and dont cop from there on in. but, if you look at it this way, think of everything they get exposed to as a racehorse, mine floats like a dream, goes anywhere, and does anything. they r dangerous in the wrong hands but good god i reckon there is more danger to the horse with these sorts of people, horses just wanna do the right thing (well most of em) *#)

19. chance18

chance18 New Member

i was just speaking from personal experience with my girl - yes you can be lucky & happen to get a good horse off the track but in my opinion most general people who get OTTB do not have the ability to correctly retrain & deal with their issues. yes i agree that a lot of them get exposed to a variety of situations that some 'normal' horses dont get exposed to & in those respects the horses do often behave themselves.

in my opinion it is not the horses fault that they are like this & in the right hands they have a good chance of coming around - but they have been allowed to get away with everything from the start (in most TB racing stables that I have seen) & dont get put back in their box often enough, not saying that it is like this with all trainers, as some are quite good, BUT if you look at the staff in a lot of these racing stables/studs etc - they are young teenage girls with no weight & minimal experience working with highly strung horses so they throw stallion bits in their mouths & the problems escalate - THESE are the psychological problems that i was referring to earlier!!!

20. lisaann

lisaann Well-known Member

i have a OTT TB and hes a dream, yes he is a bit green, but very friendly, loves attention, has very good manners and extremely willing to learn. what more could u want from a horse.