Ex - race horse's

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Unicorn, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn New Member

Why is it that so many people that DO NOT have a lot of horse knowledge choose to buy or have given to them an ex-race horse?

It doesn't make sense. It isn't fair for the horse or the rider as far as safety is concerned. These types of horse's turn out fantastic in the ride hands. Why is it that Mums will stick their kids on something free and dangerous rather than a horse that has been there - done that for the right price.

When the horse injures someone - guess where they end up.

I reckon owning a horse should be like sitting for your driving test. Before you get your licence you have to prove that you can control the vehicle and know the rules to keep safe.........
    It would save a lot of heart ache for people that do not have the know how and are sometimes suckered in to these free or cheap deals. It would also help secure the horse's life. Too many people get injured and a lot of horse's have been blamed through their lack of experience. And most of all there should be a law regarding selling or even giving these horse's away without a thorough assessment has been made and have them put in to some sort of level of education and nature slot.

So what does everyone else think??

2. Eicyng

Eicyng Well-known Member

People with little knowledge of horses & who's kids edcide want a pony will try to take the cheapest way out of it.
    How often do you see ads wanting a bombproof reliable pony who has done everything & suitable for a beginner for less than $500..... As if!
    I feel you get what you pay for & if you pay peanuts you'll get a monkey!
    I cannot put a price on my childs head & will not have any horses or pony on my place that is not 100% safe, Even my stallion can be handled by them with no worries.
    I used to love ex racehorses before I finally had the money to indulge my passion for arabs & ponies, I had re educated a few rogues off the track & turned them in to riding hacks or pleasure horses.
    They can be great horses, But just off the track & cheap is not a good combination for a beginner or nervous rider.
    [purple]Cheers Eicyng[/purple]

"My treasures do not clink together or glitter; They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night."
    -Arabian Proverb

3. SpiritWolf

SpiritWolf New Member

Hi

I agree that cheap off the track horses do not mix with nervous or beginner riders.
    I am not an experienced rider and my horse was an ex race horse. He has been re educated and is a pleasure to ride. He is actually starting to come around with me on the ground, which I am very pleased about. (he still trys to see what he can get away with).
    He doesnt try to bolt when ridden out with other horses he just sits back and listens waiting for the que to go.
    I think that a person should be willing to pay a reasonable amount of money to buy there beginner rider a good horse, cos no money is worth anything to lose a loved one to a silly mistake of a cheap alternative.

Jade

4. Cavalier

Cavalier Well-known Member

I totally agree.

I virtually live by the saying 'people need a license to own a horse'.

I find that its usually parents that are non horsey that get their kids the ex-racers...afterall most unhorsey people don't think riding is hard at all...it is!!! And its also fearless kids that will ride anything.

Ex-racers are very hard work, they require loads of time, experience, patience and knowledge. Its not just riding them, its re-training them, knowing how to feed them correctly and wean them off their grain diets, most race-horses don't get one on one time so while they might have spent lots of time around humans they haven't necessarily had great experiences with us.

They are fit, energetic, spirited, young athletes, they are used to running around with their heads up in the air, they aren't used to leg pressure or a heavy seat, they aren't used to constant contact, or certain tack such as nosebands...its all these little things that make this job suitable for experienced, knowledgable people only!!

The poor buggers get such a bad name, but they don't deserve that, it is the riders that deserve the bad name.

~ You're either making dust, or eating it ~

5. alex

alex Well-known Member

i agree on the issue that people should prove they are worthy of owning the particular horse but also think that sometimes the cheap horses are better... both of my horses i have owned costed no more than $1000. $350 for my first one. who was a very good horse. and approx.$1000 for my tb. who had proven himself in dressage competitions and hacking but still needed to learn how to jump. i think that the people with good horses actually lower the price sometimes if they want the horse to go to a good home so that the people buying can afford it. when i was loking for a horse. i went to see about 8-10 horses all ranged from $3000 to $4000 and i would have to say even my cheapo $350 one was worth twice that if they were pricing on abilty of the horse. but definately somebody with little experience should not be dragged into buying an ex race horse just off the track as they will not be able to get the best out of the horse and often it will be tagged as dangerous or sold on to another beginner...

Alex

R.I.P. CABMASTER (a.k.a. Cabby) 1984 - March 11 2005

6. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

all my horses have been under $350 pepper and bella were free and saxon was $350 and needed work, i ende dup selling saxon for $200 and with the time etc his new owner have him hes eventing, winning dressage, jumping doing good at hacking etc.

pepper was traight off the track pretty much, but didnt race for that long and he was a trotter not a galloper, that your talking about..

i agree they can be great horses, if they go to the right people after the racing carea, to starting there ridden education, later on in life Ex race horse may be suitable for that beginner rider, but not after the track carea has just ended.

i have been around horse sn riding for about 7years, but i dont think i would take a TB straight off the track and try re train my self, let alone a 12-13year old beginner(i'm 17 at the end of the year)

i think it's stupid, the parents are buying there child a death wish! non horsey parents should look into it more

my parnets are not horses so they waited will i was 14 till i got my won horse, so i had been riding for ages and i had leased a horse, they waited till i had the knowlodge (sp? lol) to chose my self a horse and look after it etc.. now my parents are kidna into it they help out with my horses and everything

shivers thats long, lol
    sorry

<center><font color=green> Emma, Pepper

7. jessica1

jessica1 Guest

hi i bought my standy a year ago and he was of the track i had been riding my pony for about 9mths before i got my standy and i have now re educated him and he is nearlly bombproof but i just need to lift my but and work him abit more lol ..... i like horses or the track ....galloper i love coz i love going for a long gallop on them and i always have breaks and steering ect..... k bye

HORSES THAT ARE OF THE TRACK ARE ALWAYS MORE FUN TO RIDE!!!!!!

8. alex

alex Well-known Member

horses off the track are not ALWAYS more fun to ride... think of all the disasters waiting to happen (eeeek!!!!!!!) not only could the horse injure you it could also hurt himself/herself in the process... i think that kind of attitude is going to get u seriously hurt one day.

R.I.P. CABMASTER (a.k.a. Cabby) 1984 - March 11 2005

9. Eicyng

Eicyng Well-known Member

Hi Cabby,
    I think J is very young , Maybe with a few years of experience & a few accidents from exracehorses her attitude will change.
    I think it is very irresponsible but if she thinks its fun to gallop around on a horse of the track just says it all!
    [purple]Cheers Eicyng[/purple]

"My treasures do not clink together or glitter; They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night."
    -Arabian Proverb

10. finitey

finitey Well-known Member

I totally agree, Jess ex-racers can be very DANGEROUS. They can be re-educated but that takes alot of time. Ex-racers often know little of brakes, turning, weight in the saddle, tying up, the list goes on and on. I don't know about you but I think a wll-educated dressage horse is "more fun to ride" and alot more safe!!!

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Geez, ex racehorses are MORE fun to ride! Have i missed something coz i TOTALLY disagree!!!!!
    Ive worked on a Polo Stud that had a reguarly supply of 'could of beens' & i guarentee u love, it woznt fun, more like dangerous & bloody hard work, but yes satisfyin in the end, (well most cases!).
    U say u re educated a horse, & to be almost bombproof?
    So if u put a bucket on his head & crap a whip near his bum, he's only gonna flinch? Wot does bombproof mean to u? I sold a BOMBPROOF Tb to the mounted Police Force several yrs ago becoz he woznt 'fiesty' enough for me, he had a copper on his back & had a horse rug thrown at his face & yes it landed on his head & yet he didnt bat an eyelid! Last time i heard they sold him on to a friend that use to be in the force as Tanna woz TOO BOMBPROOF! Figure that out! I dont mean to be harsh but ppl must have rocks in their head to think wot u said, i no some race horse trainers dont care who they give or sell a horse to becoz they need that stable but if u cant afford a horse & notice a freebie from a racin stable & u get it, well thats irresponsable if u dont have the time, knowledge & experience. A very dangerous situation! If it means u cant get a good horse to buy then lease a suitable mount, not a 500/600kg revhead!

'NO EXCUSES, JUST SOLUTIONS'

Remaani Park Pinto & Miniature Stud.
    Home of: Cherokee Lodge Malakye &
    Yarrimba Park Jamaica.

12. Country Chic

Country Chic New Member

I totally agree ex racers should go to a knowledgeable home to be re-educated. I have recently sold an ex racer I had. One of the places where I was adgisting her, one of the people were 16 and had just started out riding. I am also 16 but I will not take on a horse without alot of knowledge and having my instructor helping me to retrain a horse if need be. Well this person decided to ask me if they could take her out into the bush and gallop her as they have enough experience to control her as there horse is a tb and wont try alot. I turned around and asked how thick they thought I was as she was 1 year off the track and I hadnt even started canter work on her as she was not ready for it. They told me that they thought it would be best for a horse like her to be taken out and gallop as she must miss the work. I shortly moved my horse away from there because they tryed to say that if the horse was on the property it was ok for them to do what they want with her. I made sure that the person I sold her to was knowledgeable and could handle her. I didn't want her to go to a home where she would get ridden by the right people. I think when people decide that it is time to get a horse that they spend there time looking around and not get the first thing that is chep.

13. CCDC

CCDC Well-known Member

Hey,
    i know of some people that didnt know much about horses and there daughter wanted a horse but the mothers sisters knew alot (apparently) about horses so the mother was looking for a horse for her daughter and she herd of this one from the track yes it was free but even though the mother didnt know anything about horses she was unsure if it would be sutable for he beginner daughter so she asked her sisters and they told her they would go and look at it for her. So they did and they actualy said to the mother yes the horse would be ok for her daughter and it seemed quiet enough for a T.B off the track and they also said that it was a very pretty horse so the mother thought well it must be nice then we will get it. The daughter was desperate to have a horse so the mother just got it sent down at once and the horse was a looker!! It all seemed good when she rode it for the first couple of times then it all went down hill and the horse started to get more and more uptight and it started to bolt on her so she got more and more upset.!!! they have decided to send the horse away for some training!! and there is another result of beginners on 'off the track T.B'

catch ya

14. BeccaBoo

BeccaBoo Well-known Member

Yes, i have heard of a few stories of things gone wrong with off the the track horses. Although they can turn out very well. When i was in year 7 we had 2 ex racers. One was off the track because she was just not interested in racing, and the other was injured. Both were re-trained by my mum, and i rode them too, on trail rides and stuff. They both turned out great. I think that the ONLY time that a beginner should get a racer is when their parents are experienced riders and can instruct them etc.
    My friend and i are hopefully getting a horse off the track [​IMG] We are both experienced riders though, and i have already broken in 2 ponies, and brought along a horses experience etc. And my friend has been riding for i think 7 years now. So thats 18 years experience between the 2 of us! Would you call us beginners? [​IMG]

"All music if folk music. I ain't never heard no horse sing a song."

15. Aggie

Aggie New Member

hey beccaboo... you sound pretty experienced but people out there think they have "experience" just because they have had a terms worth of lessons and have been going on the odd trail ride for the past 5+ years etc this does not make them experienced! when they go to but or lease a horse/ponhy and they say they have 5+ years experience with horses some owners (certainly not all) automatically think... hey this person has experience! but really they dont and tend to go for the greener fresh horses that need work because they thiunk they have the education to re-train/train.... this is what i hate hehe[:-laughing-:]

16. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I must be the only person who has ever had good experiences with an ex-race horse.

My sis-in-law got her first horse off the track, although he had been spelled for 6 months due to a bowed tendon, and I got him off her. We were both pretty green riders in that we'd had riding lessons as kids and done trail riding but as far as knowledge about schooling a horse is concerned, forget it. We never schooled him either, just rode him a lot!

Basically, our ex-racer was just like any normal horse (apart from jogging on the way home). He walked, trotted and cantered happily, stopped when you wanted and didn't shy at much. You could go for a gallop and he would come back to walk easily. There wasn't a thing that we couldn't do with him. He was a perfect bush-basher (even in traffic).

Personally, I think our success with him was that we never knew enough to be scared! We just rode the horse like all the others we had ridden and he responded.

There are plenty of TBs around that are sane and quiet - maybe not 5 minutes off the track but later on. And then again I have had experiences with TBs that are hot to ride too. I often wonder if our horse was just a one-off or whether our no-fuss, no-stress style of riding/management had something to do with the way he turned out.

Lin

[image]http://www.geocities.com/tilda_au/stockies-sig-500-pixels.jpg[/image]

17. Roodog

Roodog Active Member

Every horse is different but people must understand that gallopers are taught to run and not much else... There are so many ex-racers that are quiet but still require education to perform better under saddle... The problem is the anticipating mindset of a galloper as they learn to expect to go fast and usually aren't given any behavioural boundries. If you work to change the racing mindset and give them a balanced education, most ex-racers excel in their new lives. Only experienced and understanding people should tackle the re-education of these racing machines... The rest should wait for educated, well behaved horses to come their way... Less painful for horse and rider....[:-grin-:]

18. sash1407

sash1407 Well-known Member

My first experience with an ex-racehorse I could call my own was the best I've ever had. That big bay boofhead was my soul mate, tragically dying 9 months after I had bought him from unknown causes. I could ride him down the busiest roads and have the cattle trucks and BGC trucks roar past and he'd look at them, never batting an eye (whilst the "mad" arab and connemara cross were taking a raincheck on our ride out hahahaha!!)

Still they are all different, and I've had a mixed bag since then - a skitty TB, and a lovely doey mare. All horses in all breeds are individuals, take them as they come.

Cheers,
    Sash
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
    <tr>
    <td bgcolor="#3B0100"><div align="right">[​IMG]</div></td>
    </tr>
    </table>

19. Rea Girl

Rea Girl Guest

I agree,my ex friend she got a t/b and the other day he he died,its so sad and its all because of her!!! and her stuid self,her and her family moved up north and she left the horses in a paddock for about 4months and then they got a call from the owner of the land saying he had to dig a hole to put him in there,She took NO responibalty looking for someone to cheak on him.they whore going to leave in April in a horse truck for up north but now isnt happening,thourgh shes still taking her other one up there and hes like 20 i dont know how he will take it with the heat most proberly die,but its so sad when you cant say anything to her.

20. Vecchio

Vecchio Active Member

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008