EWA Newcomers and Winter Gala

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by lucas and brad, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound New Member

He was really fat back then for young horse it was too good to keep him that heavy.

I should try him in the open one day just to see how he goes, mind you my plan was to do Newcomers then give him a bit of variety and start some small jumping with him or working hunter. Ill propbly stick more to the ridden breed shows too as he does better in that then Hacking :)

2. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

ha yeah i was there- on the small black galloway-3 white sox and a star/snip only in the gala tho- not newcommers...

i think i was lost all day so prob missed a few people to say hi to- almost missed half my classes aswell god knows what planet i was on?!

3. Spellbound

Spellbound New Member

Ill have to try eventing with Levi as he does love to jump :) that way he can keep an active mind with all three phases :)

4. Excelsior Centerpiece

5. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

AHHA rego would be great. I saw on their website they are thinking of having a classification day. Diva is a lightweight hunter - or at least according to everyone but the Novice/Inter judge! Yet she is one of the heavier galloways competing. I really don't know what to enter her in at the Royal :(

I wouldn't have thought you could have too much white in Open classes. Although there doesn't seem like many blingy horses are out and about atm.

Actually the other thing that got to me was the amount of makeup on some horses and cream girths and numnahs on dark horses. Don't competitors read the guidelines :( Although it is a hard one as do you put a quality horse down the line due to incorrect turnout?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  6. Spellbound

Spellbound New Member

yes i definately need to start having some Dressage lessons too also need to do some more lunging work with him to get him going over trot poles

7. Excelsior Centerpiece

ha yeah - the nov/inter show- no navy jacket and yet in the EWA rule book it said navy/black is fine...

mmmm if i were judging id prob take it into account.. BUT if the horse was true to type and worked well, then it would deserve to be placed above others who were more correctly turned out... but thats me...haha

its all judges opinions at the end of the day- and if ur judge is a good hunter judge or not... thats why in hacking i say- ya win some but you lose most!

8. Cav

Cav Gold Member

i dont think there is such a thing as "too much white" for open. me personally? I love flashy markings! :)

9. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

lol E.C - I noticed you no longer had your blue jacket on yesterday *#) . The funny thing is at the nov/int show I was told blue was ok while another girl in the class was told off for wearing a maroon waistcoat and she should be wearing blues and greens (maroon looked nice imo!). I was also told to wear banana/yellow johds, not the beige I had on which is actually contradictory to the hunter guidelines - that (mustard) colour looks horrible on me! No thanks ...

Interesting about weight classes and a "fat hack" type versus a true hunter type as there was quite a few "fat hacks" there yesterday BUT many of those horses worked better than the true hunters which means they often get placed above them, do well and come back into the hunter ring ... and I can see why if they are doing well? Although no, they shouldn't be in there in the first place ... When the true hunters (and there aren't many) start working better and placing well then I think the "fat hacks" will go back to the hack ring without the whole classification thing :confused: ... Maybe *#) .

I like the idea of a weight classification at shows before the weight classes - it means no one questions where their horse should be. I didn't really notice the difference between the weight classes yesterday either :eek: .

10. Excelsior Centerpiece

haha yeah, i took the blue aswell but wore the gold (even tho i dont like it as much)as i thought it was more huntery... i actually cant make up my mind if i like that jacket or not! i dont win when i have the gold jacket on ;) its cursed!

yeah i do agree- the hacker types normally do work well- just means we have to pull our fingers out hahahahahahaha

were you there with your grey? i didnt see you?

11. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

I don't see why people with the "true hunter types" are worried about the "fat hacks" in the showhunter classes. Until a rule comes in that states you are one or the other, not both or chop and change to suit yourself, then you will continue to have show hunters in the open hack ring and "fat hacks who get beaten in the open" in the showhunters*#) Works both ways.

And as for too much white, what a load of poppycock. Most judges love lots of chrome providing they like the rest of the horse ;)

12. Janet

Janet Guest

We had a wonderful day. Tigga was well behaved, the show ran smoothly, the sun was shining.. what more could you ask for?

Tigga did ok in the morning.
    He came 2nd in the newcomer event - we were stoked. He was such a good boy and the horse that won was stunning :)

Then he had a 1st and a second in the afternoon.
    poor little boy was stuffed after that. :)

Congrats to all the lovely galloways that were there. Well done to SH WA Promotions on a well run show. Thank you to Saddle Plus and Saddleworld for their support.

Some photos
    Tigga - Morefair Kingsley
    [​IMG]

Newcomer line up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joh Bailey
    [​IMG]

13. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

lol ... I have the same dilema as you - I like my blue one but the grey/blue tweed is more "correct" ... I swear it's cursed though because I don't win in that either *#) . I didn't compete yesterday because I have been on exams and haven't been riding so penciled instead - twas interesting **) . I'll have her back out again soon though ... Hopefully working better than the hack types too LOL - We try ... it's just a lot of horse to get together :p .

14. Excelsior Centerpiece

ha why was it interesting? get any good hints?

15. Cassie 76

Cassie 76 Active Member

CONGRATULATIONS Janet and Ashley!! Great pics**)

16. Smiley n Me

Smiley n Me Gold Member

Gorgeous horse Janet - what is the breeding? I got a ton of pics because he was so spunky!

I LOVE Bling! There were two hacks there over the weekend (one in open one in hunter) and both placed very highly (Champions & Reserves)

17. Its Party Time

Its Party Time Well-known Member

Yes I penciled on Saturday and 'Interesting' is the word I would use to describe the experience as well!

Well done to everyone!

Huge Congrats to Ashley & Tigga.**)

18. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Congrats Janet, he is lovely. Great photos too.

19. Excelsior Centerpiece

why was it interesting!!! im dying to know!!!

20. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Didn't even see you there IPT !