EWA memberships

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by montygirl, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

From my view - im going to pay up until December 2010 to compete at HOTY. At this point im going to let my membership go as from January. Im going to stick to the SHC membership for 2011.

For me im into Show Horse, and i compete my horses at 3 shows at EA each year. So what i dont go to the newcomers, and HOTY the novice/Int show doesnt bother me if i go or not.

Im south of the river, so for me and my family i would be smarter to join up at 3 local clubs, Riverside, Gosnells (which also does PC) and Canning Districts. Riverside has 4 shows and a breed show, Gosnells has PC and their hack days plus the big masters and the 2 breed shows,Canning Districts does about 4 shows plus the breed show, plus my child can join up into the Canning Districts young riders squad.

For my family the cost of EWA membership will cover the costs of those 3 memberships and cover some of the show entries too...............

I think riders are going to have to step to the side, i think it will be a good move for local clubs. I think they local clubs will definately pick up extra memberships.

2. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

Here is another query, how does the insurance work at these unofficial ODE clubs. I recently went to Wallangarra and enjoyed the ODE.

They are PCAWA run club, does that mean everyone who competes in the "OPEN" grades will need to be EWA members of jus join up to membership to the hosting clubs???

3. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

I too can see local clubs benefiting greatly. I am now planning to join Zamia and Swan valley dressage assoc on top of my gidgie dressage membership. Still works out cheaper for the year!

4. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

wow what a debate! i didnt know that the fees were going up till i found this thread. I did however vote no to constituton changes by proxy coz i was warned by people in the no that it was not going to be a good thing. so who actually voted? i think part of the problem was that not enough people went or sent there votes in with a proxy. Yeah the fees are rediculous! if i didnt want to do EFA events(ie looking to do 1*) i would be just doing PC. I suggest anyone under the age of 25 do PC instead its much better bang for ur buck. and the comps are very often.

Oh and even though swan valley PC is housed there and so is the PCAWA they still wanted to charge $2000 per day to hire there new "outdoor arena" for the PC SJ champs with no discout available at all. thats why we used the PC grounds for some classes on the sat apparently.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  5. Topaz17

Topaz17 Active Member

PCAWA is totally seperate to EWA. If you compete at a PC event an you are not a riding member of PC you would either pay the $10 day insurance or become a member an be covered to compete at only PC events for around $40 for the year!!

6. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

No open membership at PC events is just that...its nothing to do with EWA. thats why they are called open or non PCAWA classes. The$10 u pay for that covers ur isurance for the day. Oh and also u can joing the PCAWA as an open member which cost $40 and that will cover u to ride as many open PCAWA classes as u want for that year and u wont have to pay the $10 at each event. pretty sweet deal i think

7. Topaz17

Topaz17 Active Member

This is my last year of PC and will be doing the $40 membership next year as PC offers a heap more events at a better price! I won't be joining EA until I get to the big grades

8. Linnybear

Linnybear Well-known Member

Personally I only compete at the SEC through WAAHA which is affiliated with EWA, so I guess from analyzing this email it should save me $15 per event in GSF. Although the hire fee listing is still for 2009 and this will probably go up and the clubs will have to pass this fee on through increase in entries, so back to square one!!!
    Taryn competes there only once or twice a year hacking officially and will now cost $380 per year, with the only benefit being the deletion of the GSF. This would only benefit her if she competed there 16 times per year #( as the increase over 12 months is $205 and the GSF is only $15 :mad:

IMO I wouldn't care if I never competed at the SEC again and I only live 10mins away!! After competing there last month everyone that was there in our group ended up with terrible sore throats from the dust both in the stables and in the warm up arena #( And I can't speak for how my poor horses felt ;)

9. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

Yep another that wont be renewing my membership. I use it purely for the insurance side of things. Will go and speak to someone about the SHC insurance.. That will be a better option.

I honestly just wish they would get their act together and realise that what they are doing is no good.

10. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

Funny really, i have been allowed to use my waeci insurance (ewa affiliated) at the last two breed shows run at the SEC... one would think that if they dont let other clubs accept ewa affiliated insurance from its entrants they shouldnt either ;)

personally i think its time serious questions were asked regarding the EWA's management skills #(#(#(

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  11. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

That's actually a lack of skills in reading the club insurance policy by the breed society running the show, Beaudacious. Clearly stated in the AON club insurance pack for 2009/10 in big bold letters that members of other EA-insured clubs participating in events organised by an EA-insured club must become Day Members of that Club. If the breed societies running the show can't read then that has nothing to do with the SEC, as venue hirers.

12. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Actually Lin the show was run by the SEC/EWA! Assuming it was the Autumn Breed Show as they offered day reciprical insurance for affiliate club members.

13. JJ can you let us know how you go with this as I have just been checking the EA rules for associate dressage and it states something which would also indicate EWA are wrong - the rules for associate riders state that they "must either be a member of the EFA of at least Associate level or the affiliated club/organisation conducting the event or if the club wishes to permit these, any other category of person who may be permitted under the EFA?s insurance arrangements at the time".

Unfortunately I can't find anything similar for Show Horse..

14. uno

uno Guest

What jaana said plus endurance for us now

15. beaudacious

your right mirawee **) it was the autumn horse breed show and also the twilight unofficial breed and hack show run in january. both events were run by the SEC/EWA and both times i enquired specificaly about using my arc membership insurance and they had no problems with me doing so.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  16. beaudacious

lin, as stated above, both shows were actually run by the SEC/EWA, not a breed society.

17. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

We live 4 hours away from the SEC and I have to say that we have used the SEC far less in the past year due to the high GSF and also camping fees. It is not worth us driving all that way for 1 horse but the fee structure made it too expensive to take more than 1.....so we didnt go.

Of course I am not particularly happy with having to pay $450 per year, but if I can take a number of horses and pay no GSF for them and can also camp there for free, then maybe we will attend more shows going forward.

We went to Busselton on the weekend and the ground and camping fees there were so high I probably will not attend their event in the future even though it is only 1.5 hours from me ( so close for us). Even though it was a good show it cost me $120 in ground fees to be there with 2 horses for 2 days. Considering we had to run our own generator for power, shower in the truck if you actually wanted a warm shower at a reasonable time, I thought the costs excessive.....so excessive I will probably not attend again.

I hope the new system makes it more affordable to actually attend events at the SEC because currently its ground and camping fees on top of entry fees that make it unaffordable.....especially for country people who have the added costs of long distance travel.

18. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

Yes that is true KC but wouldn't it be better if they had a separate yearly SEC membership? I am sure you wouldn't mind paying $250 for your EWA membership and then $200 for SEC membership to cover GSF, camping etc. for the year.

That way it is still a "user pay" system and you can decide yourself whether it is worth $200 and others that never use the SEC can just pay $250 EWA membership instead of $450. Maybe they could increase the "one-off" fees, e.g. GSF and this would then "encourage" people to take out SEC membership or those that may only go once or twice would be happy to pay the one-off fees.

I would also like clarification of the statement:

“EWA no longer accepts day membership as a suitable condition of entry, if a rider wishes to compete at EWA endorsed events, they must either join EWA or join the hosting club”

What is an EWA endorsed event? Does this encompass local club events such as Open Gymkhana’s offering Unofficial Hacking, Jumping, or dressage? Or is this referring to major “official” events such as the Autumn Dressage festival held at the SEC?

19. Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon Well-known Member

Well, as someone who wants to compete in eventing, I don't think I really have a choice... EWA membership it is (and I'll have to start saving for it now it seems!).

On the up side, I do hope to use the SEC more regularly this season...

20. madcow

madcow Guest

well looks like the end of Dressage comps for me and back to show horse and show Horse Council membership only! Not extactly sure what to do with my dressage horses though? I think the EWA know they have people over a barrel if they want to compete in any of the olympic disaplines!

I had almost been convinced into becoming a trainee Dressage judge as well but I have a pretty good reason against that now.

Like Scorpio I'll prob keep my membership til the end of the year (if I can afford to)and then let it lapse. The SHC are going to be very happy with this latest EWA move ROFLMO:p;)

Looks like horse riding is another step closer to becoming an elietist sport in Aus.

Failing Retros idea of having team penning run the SEC.....I will win lotto and create a free horsey utopia south of the river for all*#)

It's interesting that insurance/membership costs 4x more for Dressage riders than rodeo/bull riders?!