EWA memberships

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by montygirl, Jun 8, 2010.

1. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Thats actually not a bad idea.
    Fees should be based more on a user pays system rather than everyone bear the cost.

2. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

majority of people south of the river won't train at SEC as fuel costs on top of hire fees etc make it too far out of reach, not to mention those that live in country areas. They surely should offer country areas a seperate membership as well? There are kids in Karratha that I'm sure would love to come and train at a venue like that but I'm sure that fee for a once a year trip is going to be out of the question. I struggle as is to get money together to pay for my competition fees. This is going to put a very big dint in our budget :(

Judges/ new coaches are being severely penalised with this new system as if they weren't getting enough credit already??

3. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

LOL 3ponies. I had that same idea and mentioned it to someone a short time ago.
    Makes perfect sense to me.

Still waiting to see if any EWA members can give me the answer to this ^^^^
    Surely one of the members with voting privileges must have a copy of the annual report and can give us some figures :))

4. Jessie_13

Jessie_13 Well-known Member

I am one of those riders who got back into riding a few years ago and was hoping for this to be my year...gettting out and about to ARC and starting to compete! I was waiting till the new fee year to come into effect so that I could start having lessons with NCAS instructors and was covered by insurance!! Well there goes that dream!! It was going to be hard enough to cover the costs as well as entries and general horsey stuff, but I could have figured it out, not now! How they expect to encourage more people to join is beyond me. Surely by having lower fees, they will get more members, basic logic! I know, I and many horsey ppl I know are not in a fantastic financial position! We have bills, families and responsibilities. However, we make it work because its what we love. Such a shame, that this sport is continuing to move in the direction of only being available for the wealthy. In fact, I would be really concerned about what this says of the future of this sport, so many young and new riders will not get the opportunity to do what they love!

5. luffy

luffy Active Member

I believe that was the original idea but I guess they crunched some numbers and realised that the number of people that would pay a separate SEC membership would not generate enough revenue to keep propping up the SEC. So they have chosen to make ALL EWA members pay for the SEC. In doing this they are then hoping that because people have been forced to pay for it they will start using it more which will in-turn bring in more revenue to keep it maintained.

The SEC is a great facility and one the equestrain community do not want to lose but I don't think doubling everyone's EWA membership and abolishing day insurance (in an attempt to force more people to become members, i.e. those that may only do a couple of competitions a year) is the answer.

6. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

3ponies... absolutely excellent suggestion! **) **)

And those that want to use the SEC occassionally - well, they just pay on a 'come as you are' basis (ummm... like you can now anyway? lol)

Edit:
    Which, is of course, going to have the opposite effect... people will stop joining EWA, and stop using the SEC - and it will become an unused historic relic ';'

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  7. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

This may have already been said....

But can someone clarify for me if this is correct (I havent had a chance to read through properly)

You cannot have day insurance anywhere - any time? Not at EWA events anywhere in the state?

Or is it Just for events at the SEC?

Im trying to wrap my reeling head around this....(and work at the same time - -lol )

8. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

As I understand it Eoroe it is
    You cannot have day insurance anywhere - any time? Not at EWA events anywhere in the state?

This though appears contradictory to EA National rules and as EWA is only an affiliated club of EA I can't see how they can get away with changing a National rule.
    Time will tell I suppose.

9. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Unbeleivable ........ :(

*Eoroe shakes head*

Its becoming very elitetist. EWA are seriostly rocking the boat if they are contraveining the EA rulings. EWA hold the monopoly - and personally, I do feel they are abusing it.

What the heck is with the Centralisation attitudes? same as the PC regional attitudes....

Im mean really - what IS the point of holding events in rural area's anymore if the only people that will really attend are ones who realistically live in the metro areas, or the surrounds of the SEC? As if they are going to ravell this far for simply a change of scenery...it wont take long for them to realise that the Judgeing standards will drop due to costs involved for the "prviveldge" of judgeing , and the competitors are the same group they saw last weekend t the SEC.

I would really LOVE to see the finacial reporting that has promted the logic of this move.....and I can only conclude VERY synical assumptions as to why this descision has been made.

Lest just call it the SEC Country Club - as that is all its turning out to be.....

10. Its Party Time

Its Party Time Well-known Member

Surely this new fee structure was discussed at the AGM or SGM held only a couple of weeks ago';' which would of given members the chance to vote or debate the new plan?

Did anyone attend the meeting?

11. Ants

Ants Well-known Member

Another vote for the country members - i havent competed at the SEC for a few years now!

12. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

I don't have horses anymore, but was going to re-join this year so I could ride a friends horse.. Not anymore.. Not going to pay that much money to have a quick ride every now and then.

I hope SEC people read this thread, they are just ruining it for themselves and everyone else.. Probably better off just selling the SEC, can't see many people using it that often.

13. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Perfect solution...team penning association takes over management of SEC *#)

14. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Looks like I'll be sticking to bush riding for me :)

15. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

The Special General meeting held in May was to vote on the introduction of the new Constitution.

The only reference to membership fees in this is:

PART IV - FINANCIAL
    19 SUBSCRIPTIONS, FEES AND LEVIES
    19.1 The membership subscription (if any), fees and any levies payable by Members, the time for and payment shall be as determined by the Board from time to time and shall as far as possible reflect the benefits attaching to each level of membership.

ETA: Maybe it is time for the members to request a Special general meeting:

Requisition of Special General Meetings

37.2 The CEO shall convene a Special General Meeting within twenty-eight (28) days of receiving a
    requisition signed by 25% of Members eligible to vote at a General meeting.
    37.3 The requisition for a Special General Meeting shall state the object(s) of the meeting, shall be signed
    by the Members making the requisition and be sent to EWA and may consist of several documents in a
    like form, each signed by one (1) or more of the Members making the requisition.
    37.4 If the Board does not cause a Special General Meeting to be held within twenty-eight (28) days after
    the date on which the requisition is sent to EWA, the Members making the requisition, or any of them,
    may convene a Special General Meeting to be held not later than three (3) months after that date.

16. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

On a positive note... (for all of us for whom this membership increase wil make it prohibitive to show elsewhere)...this should be a HUGE bonus for our local clubs..get in and become members of a few of them..and then attend their shows...it will be a lot cheaper and you support your local clubs:)* ...and it will save on petrol ;)

17. Its Party Time

Its Party Time Well-known Member

Considering that Hamish has said that he does not want EWA to prop up the funding for the SEC and that he wants it to support itself then why the increase in EWA membership???

Surely an increase of over 100% warranted some discussion with members not an email blast 3 weeks before memberships are due to tell us how excited he is at the new structure#( Dont hear any EWA members cheering.

18. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

This is all nuts!

Am trying to email Leanne, but my email is down! Grrr.... Would like to know what she has to say about this as it clearly says on the EA site that Individual Day Insurance is still offered.... Can EWA do what it is doing??

Surely the SEC actually has nothing to do with EA (EWA) membership? The SEC is just something WA has... and surely 'including' the costs in EA membership is just plain wrong.

And as far as I can tell, Insurance costs (AON) have come down - not gone up! :confused: *#)

Leanne Kingsbury (Equestrian Australia)
    Sport Consultant - Administration & Insurance
    leanne@efanational.com

Anyone else want to send off an email?

*kicks email server*

19. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I'm not and looks like never will be a member however I have used the SEC last year.

The prices were bumped and the services were c***. Due to being a country horse owner its one of the main factors that all my horses were thrown out and not shown again (as the only ones I attended were at the SEC) and unfortunatly its the SEC's problem that the society loses out on my entry money.

Wonder how numbers of entries have been since the SEC started bumping prices and if anymore societies / associations are considering to move their shows else where?

20. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

When you eventually manage to fire off that email JustJam, attach a link to this discussion. Not that they will care, but offer them the feedback anyway.