EWA memberships

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by montygirl, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Foxtrot

Foxtrot New Member

That makes two of us then!!

2. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

I think you will find that is a misprint as my very recent claim had an excess of $250 from memory for the initial claim.
    The excess is paid only once on the original claim and not everytime you claim for the same injury.
    Ie my smashed wrist still has outstanding expense claims and I won't have to pay the excess again.
    You do have to claim through your Private Health cover first if you have it and they will then reimburse you any out of pocket expenses after the private health rebate. For example the ambulance bill was almost $800 my PH company paid out around $500 so the SHC Insurance will cover the balance.
    They will also cover things like your parking costs etc so I'm told but I didnt bother about those.
    SHC Insurance does not cover any medicare claimable items at all so it wont cover your doctors visits for an injury as that is covered by Medicare.

3. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Both SHC and EWA have the exact same misprint on their Insurance Schedules? :confused:

I suppose it's possible given that both policies are issued by AON and the insurer is Lloyds of London.... :rolleyes:

However, given that they are both 'official' documents - and insurance companies are notorious for having 'fine print'............ :}

PS: What the heck! Email sent! Lets see if AON has better customer service than EWA *#) :D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  4. Shakhaan

Shakhaan Well-known Member

Make that 3. I paid mine the day after this thread was started ;)

5. Belinda

Belinda Well-known Member

No response thus far from EWA re my membership refund. Time to start drafting my letter to Fair Trading/Consumer Affairs me thinks.

6. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Dang it. The odds of me winning the money back prize are getting slimmer! And here I was thinking *I* was the only EWA member for the rest of 2010. ;)

(And I've got my card to prove it already too).

PS. Just out of interest I added up all the shows I went to in 2009/10, where I would have had to pay the $20 day levy if I wasn't an EWA member. I went to 3 unofficial hack shows, an ARCA Challenge held by another club and 2 breed shows. That's $120 saved on day levies. Makes me feel a bit better about the fees I paid last year and what I will no doubt pay next year.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  7. rimes

rimes Well-known Member

Hi justjam, I am pretty sure that is what I paid last year for 2009-2010. Cannot find any paperwork and we never received a card but got given the registration number over the phone :( She is a junior non competing rider. It was the basic cover.

Still not sre where to go now, possibly SHC, they sound a bit better organised at least :)

8. JustJam

Ahhh! So your reference to the $100 was for last year?! Okkkkk... *phew* lol

Annnddd... as far as I can tell, if your daughters coach is insured through EWA, then he/she can only coach pupils as follows:

http://www.equestrian.org.au/site/equestrian/national/downloads/insurance/documents/Coach%20Reg%20and%20insurance%20pack%2009-10.pdf

So, to me, it looks like the answer to your question is - in this case, no.

9. Lovemyhorse

Lovemyhorse New Member

this is bordering on misleading!!

what the EA dont tell you is tha tthe limits of their insurance cover are very low

in my view it really is very ineffective cover and provides little real cover

anyone that doubts this should ask someone that has claimed under it

ask guy wallace how much he got from the EFA when he had his accident

not a lot!!

they sell insurance as a big benefit

they need to be very careful how they represent it - as someone may actually ask for the truth one day!!!

10. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I know someone who broke their back while schooling horses in Malaysia and was flown home and all medical expenses paid for years, all courtesy of their EFA insurance. So, it is not useless at all.

11. Lovemyhorse

Lovemyhorse New Member

i totally disagree -if you are talking about a lady beginning with J - that is not correct - there was real issue if it applies outside of australia!!

as i say - ask guy wallace - and all the people who had to fundraise and support him

how much did he get from his efa insurance!!!!

12. pso

pso Gold Member

Insurance is also not meant to cover people earning a living by riding, nor riding without helmets....:}

13. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

I think you will find with the NCAS coaches insurance that again it mostly refers to public liability (third party) cover. So even though under their policy they can coach Current Members of EA-insured affiliated clubs (i.e the individual does not have to be a direct EWA member) it still refers to public liability cover. Most coaches probably feel more comfortable instructing someone that also has personal accident cover which is why they like you to be at least a "Basic member" of the EWA. If you are part of an EWA-insured affiliated club and have personal accident cover from another source then I am sure most coaches couldn't argue with this...

14. stablegirl

stablegirl New Member

In the message section of the WA equestrian website today somebody had dared to post a message being negative, but realistic, about the increase in membership fees, by this afternoon it had been removed. Big brother is out there, beware!:(

15. pso

pso Gold Member

They only check the message board every now and then...(to remove spam)
    There was one comment that was on there for 2 weeks ;)

SG- if you know the person- they could probably repost today and it would go un noticed a bit longer **)

16. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

... so who won the early bird membership prize?

17. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

I dont think I will be joining the EWA either (havent for many years) but certainly wont be doing it for that amount of money....

They better address this before they have no one join!!!

Any commitee members on here? Maybe riders should host a meeting to address this issue!#(

18. pso

pso Gold Member

Well Jonty- theres no longer a riders rep on the committee- as the riders rep refused to pay- so hard for her to call a meeting ;)*#)

And only members can call a meeting;)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  19. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

Oh Crap!!!

Where do we go from here then?

20. JustJam

Jonty3 I think it's more of a case of 'see where EWA goes' (or doesn't as the case may be lol) ;)

However, I am still curious about this...
    Did anyone? Was a winner ever announced? lol