EWA memberships

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by montygirl, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

I was considering joining this year to get my boy out to more training tests and the like but now i will definately not be joining and probably not competing at all! I scrape by with the cost of my horse and this will just tip it over the edge of actually being able to do something with him....so we are now going very 'classical' and not competing! hmmmm team penning is looking far more enticing now...

2. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Senior membership allows you to compete in official competitions. If you dont compete in official competitions then associate is the way to go.

3. pso

pso Gold Member

It came via email Alexander

Membership fees for 2010

1st July ? 31st December

Over the past 6-months considerable effort has been focused on reviewing our current fee structure within EWA Inc. This not only includes the cost of our memberships to EWA, but also SEC fees, specifically Ground Service Fee (GSF).

EWA has a number of accounts grouped into 3-key areas, they are:

1. Committee accounts ? used solely for the business of our sports. Income is essentially from entry levies;

2. SEC accounts ? income is derived from a number of areas, such as GSF?s; facility hire; sponsorship; stables; the bar; events; and

3. EWA accounts ? essentially all other EWA (i.e. ? the company) business. Income comes from memberships; sponsorship; grants; performance cards, etc.

Simply, the reality of our current financial fee structure is erroneous. The fact is, the SEC runs at a deficit each year and has done so for a very long time. As I have mentioned since I have been your CEO, this is unsustainable to EWA Incorporated. Income derived from EWA accounts, has supported the SEC in the past. The EWA accounts should be providing more services to our members and developing the sport, ensuring we achieve our strategic goals such as growth in regional areas, youth and novice development, and club support, not propping up the SEC.

The Board?s clear understanding is that the majority of our members wish EWA to continue to manage the SEC, not to hand it over to a third party management company. Unfortunately, we merely do not use the SEC as much as we should. Data indicates the SEC has had as little as 5,000 visits per year over the past few seasons. That is plainly not enough. The SEC must be self-supportive and we must build revenue for key annual maintenance items and more importantly put money away in a sinking fund for future capital works or major repairs.

I am excited to present a new fee structure to you for the balance of 2010. It is a key strategy in our strategic direction. From 1st July we are increasing our fees to include the following major benefit:

? Membership of the SEC:

o This includes unlimited access to the SEC. (i.e. no more GSFs, no matter how many horses you bring to the SEC)

o No camping fees

o Casual hire of SEC arenas will be reduced from current advertised prices

What does this all mean to you as a member?

? The GSF (one of the biggest gripes in the equestrian community) is eliminated;

? The future of the SEC is secured;

? Regular usage of the SEC by the members becomes cheaper (and so we hope will increase the number of visits per season as we want to see the SEC used more because this will attract more sponsors and government support);

? Non-members who use the SEC will no longer be subsidised by EWA members; and

? The cost of running the SEC will be made clearly identifiable for improved budgetary purposes
    (i.e. we can be pro-active, rather than re-active)

Summary of EWA Membership Costs for 1st July to 31st December 2010
    (includes the new SEC membership)

CATEGORY

PRICE

Senior
    $225

Associate
    $190

Senior Show Horse
    $190

Junior
    $175

Student (over the age of 18, and full-time)
    $175

Recreational
    $140

Official
    $100

Corporate
    $350

In summary the significant changes to our EWA membership fees effective 1st July 2010 will be:

1. Due to our recent Constitutional change, our membership year will run with the calendar year,
    therefore until the 1st January 2011we have a 6-month membership term;

2. We have received increases in all EA levies and AON insurance (outside our direct control);

3. EWA has agreed with other states along with EA to provide funds towards the new national IT system,
    this is $10 per member; and

4. EWA no longer accepts day membership as a suitable condition of entry,
    if a rider wishes to compete at EWA endorsed events, they must either join EWA or join the hosting club.

It is the Board?s belief this fundamental change will benefit all of us. This decision has received a very positive response from the Committees. I ask you on behalf of EWA to appreciate this decision to change our fee structure has not been taken lightly. Our intent is to establish a system that will set us in good health for the future.

Safe riding.

Hamish Johnston
    Chief Executive Officer

Early Bird Offer

If you get your membership in prior to the 1st July, you will enter a draw for the following major prize:

100% cash return on the membership you paid for this 6-month period
    A complimentary stable use at all events held at the SEC for the 6-month period
    Approximate value $1,000

Draw will be on 2nd July. Good luck.

4. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

so does that mean if you are not an EWA member you will still have to pay the ground fees. for instance when the pcawa hold its dressage champs there in september and the riders that only hold pcawa membership will still have to pay the ground fee

5. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

Looks like only Dilute Shows, Wanneroo ARC and Perth shows for Tally and I in the future.
    I am with Coda_cowgirl, team penning seems the way to go

6. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

As has already been said, looks like i won't be competing this year!! I would rather pay membership to a few clubs that i use a year than pay that!!!

How ridiculous, i really hope the membership numbers drop enough that they re- think there decision :( sad for a lot of people

7. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I bet he is excited.........It be a little 'tetchy' if I had hoards of angry equestrians behind me as well.....

I wonder what the costing analysis has been on the hypothetical relating to numbers of people that will not - CAN NOT offord to join anymore?

hmmmmmm - Im guessing a loss of at LEAST 25% membership.

8. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

I don't have a horse, and therefore the GSF for the SEC doesn't affect me, so I will be paying $100 purely for the privilege of judging for the next 6 months. Hmmmmm. Seems somewhat excessive!

9. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

So for the "honour" of being a judge it will now cost $200/year ...that should bring a whole heap of new judges in;):} Especially when they will get no benefit from the cheaper usage of SEC etc :(

* SA is $82 / year

I would have thought..more people joining at a lower rate would be better than less at a higher one :confused:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  10. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Like Springbok the new fee structure will work out cheaper for me with ground fees removed and decrease in casual hire fees. But I can accept that it is a lot more expensive for others.

11. pso

pso Gold Member

I'd be wondering how much the casual rates are actually reduced ;) I mean members already got 25% off anyway- and $1 IS a reduction *#)

Does seem a bit unfair on the judges :(

12. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

well, as i have used the SEC at least 10 times already this year and by the looks of my comp season im already planning next year- ill be there Alot, so ill pay it, just means Maggi noodles for a while... :)

i love my horse, competeing and my sport, i love the facilities so ill find the money somewhere :)

as the proposal for an indoor facility south of the river got knocked back- ill be planning more trips up to the SEC for training too- if it is going to be cheaper :)

it will just hurt in december/jan when its Christmas, EWA rego, + Summer series and Friday night series entries to do + my car rego and normal bills...but thats what a budgets for... better start putting some $ away now!

13. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

True but I have spent over $100 in ground fees already this year so even without that I will save lol

14. finding_nemo

finding_nemo Active Member

I think the saddest thing in all this is that even to be a basic member so that you can have riding lessons and hire some x country courses etc the fee has gone up over 100% from $100 for the year to $280. Most people who have basic membership will NEVER ever use the SEC!!!! They just want insurance to ride.

15. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I have never ridden at the SEC. Never so much as used a stable.
    Yet I've paid my membership for years to give me accident insurance.....which I've also never claimed on. So in actual fact I've been helping to prop up the SEC for years for what exactly ? It's hardly benefiting me.
    Think it's time I gave it a rethink.
    How can the eastern states be getting it right while were getting is so wrong *#)
    Might be time to take up Endurance riding, campdrafting, or maybe even polocrosse.
    Their governing bodies don't slug their members time and time again like the EWA does.
    Congratulations Hamish. With a 100% fee increase there'll be no members left to help keeps the lights on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
  16. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

As afterthought, can anyone tell me the how many people the EWA has in paid positions, the total wages bill for a 12 month period and the breakdown of who receives how much ?

17. crave

crave Well-known Member

Thanks for that retroremedy:) I want to get my young one out and about but its very expensive now, as he wont be doing that much due to his age , might just see how much I use a membership for 6 months and if its worth it. Was going to be good for me just paying day memberships when and if I went somewhere. I know you get the insurance cover but I also pay private insurance and have a public liability policy for home as well....money. money and more money...

18. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

so recreational is the cheapest for an adult whose no longer a student.

that covers what exactually?*#)

19. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

This is a fee structure that is designed to increase usage of the SEC. If people actually value a facility like this in WA then they have to be prepared to use it and support its use with $.

I've been an Associate member of the EWA since associate membership started ($50 per yr!) and I will no doubt put my hand in my pocket again this year. I hardly ever compete at the SEC myself (and have basic unfettered access to the grounds anyway by virtue of living on top of it), but I value the SEC and what it offers the horse community and I'm bloody proud of it. It is one of the best equestrian facilities in Aust and I'm prepared to pay to prop it up, even though I'll probably not compete there much.

If the new fee structure encourages members to actually use the SEC then I'm all for it.

Granted, its a big ask for judges who already put so much into the sport and for country folk who won't have as much opportunity to use the SEC, though.

20. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

The fee's shown are for the next six months.

They do not give the fee's for the next year so we are assuming that they will double them.

Given the amount of changes this year at the sec I am not surprised by this and was expecting increases in charges. (Just like my house rates lol)

It is just the nature of the beast really. Just gives us all something else to whinge and whine about.

Horses and competing is expensive....

...yes...do think it is a raw deal for the judges....