Energy Gold

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Babe, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Keiko

Keiko New Member

Those of you using EG - how do you find the smell?
    I've never taken much notice before, but I recently purchased a new tin. The oil smells sorta weird, not terrible though - I can only describe it as chinese take away sorta smell?? Does that seem right ? I hope it hasn't gone rancid, the expiry date is late next year? :confused:

2. Bruce the Goose

Bruce the Goose Well-known Member

I was only looking at EG last week and thinking about using it. Currently using canola oil and whilst not unhappy with how my boys look they don't have a wow factor about their coats or condition.

I also feed barley & oats and was trying to work out if feeding the higher level recommended of EG can I reduce grain. 1 boy gets 1kg barley & oats per day and other only 0.7kg barley and oats. both get chaff & lucerne etc.

Not really cost effective if I have to maintain higher level of grain.

Any thoughts??

Cheers Tracey

3. Keiko

Keiko New Member

Bruce the Goose - yes you can do that. I am also thinking of trying the same. On the tin it explains that you can feed as just a coat conditioner (15ml for each 100kg) or as a "cool energy" source (125ml-250ml). Just make sure you introduce it slowly so you horse has time to get used to it.
    Since the calorie intact will be much denser/higher then the grain you can cut back on the grain.
    I found this on google:
    350ml oil provides the same amount of energy as:
    1kg Oats or 900g Barley or 835g Corn

4. Pinto Lover

Pinto Lover Well-known Member

I use EG on my mini's have used it since the day it came out, I LOVE IT. I swear by it & will keep using it. I don't use it all year round as I find they get use to it, so mainly show season. **)**)

The smell is ok.

5. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

My EG is very strogn smelling as well...but my horses (and cat) love it, and just about push me outta the way

Bruce the Goose :)* I have dropped all my grains and pelleted feeds, and replaced with oil...found my boy couldnt handle any grains, it just fizzes him too much...he has put on weight and kept his energy levels, while remaining calm;) His coat is looking better then ever...and his muscles seem to be softer.**)

6. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

That's great Babe (and from everything I've read, most horses would be better fed that way ;) ).

lol - it does have a very strong smell (garlic) - hehe...chinese takeaway could be about right, although it shouldn't smell rancid. One of my horses is always a little fussy about the taste - the others (and the rats!) love it. I have to screw the top on reasonably tightly every night, otherwise I would find the lid totally off (my only explanation was naughty rats).

7. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

haha SMR I can just see rats using their paws to unscrew the lid...look around to see if anyone is watching and then dip their tails in for a dose of EG...you must have glossy rats at your place :p

8. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

EG is top stuff, i use it on all my horses. The smell is from the garlic that is in it.

Couldnt recommend it enough :)

9. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

...the best conditioned rats around, Babe! :D

10. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

YEs totally agree about the feeding of the Rats, I make up my night feeds in the morning and lock them away in a metal feed drum.

i had the rats come in and chew right through the plastic funnel part at the top.

I have recently had a cull of the rats so numbers have declined, but im going to have another go at them soon.....:(

11. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

OMG Scorpio...thast awful! I have rats here, my fox terrier is always busy catching them and then giving them to the puppy..haha*#)

12. Bruce the Goose

Bruce the Goose Well-known Member

Thanks Keiko, That?s the sort of information I have been chasing.

I brought some EG yesterday and will slowly start adding it and see how they go. My fussy boy was a bit off by it but still ate his feed, other one didn?t even notice. :)

Babe ? hopefully mine will fill out a bit more and coats will improve on it too, your boy always looks nice through.

Not good about rats getting into it though, have mice in stables haven?t really seen any rats though, will have to keep it in a cupboard, too expensive to feed to rats.

Cheers Tracey

13. lesha

lesha New Member

EG sounds great everybody has such great feed back on it. :D

i am currently feeding chaff,lucerne,studmaster with vita mineral the orange powder totally foget the name and giving just under a cup of no-grain gold AM/PM as an additive with conal oil. my boy looks really good and has a beautiful coat even thou he starting to get wooley. !!!!

but my question is if i started EG would i stop no-grain gold and conola oil????

14. Keiko

Keiko New Member

Lesha-maybe you could try replacing the canola oil with EG ? your horse might do better on it since this oil is more balanced. And maybe keep everything else the same if it's working well for you

15. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

I have a question regarding using oil- i agist and 2 days out of 7 i have to leave feeds for my horse to be fed later. Is it safe to leave oil in a feed for up to 24 hours until it gets fed?

Or alternately, is it a problem for her to have oil 5 days out of 7 and miss the two days completely- with no oil?

Any thoughts appreciated as i would so like to try the energy gold!

16. lesha

lesha New Member

keiko, thanks i guess using EG i wouldnt have to use as much as plain conola oil, so would last longer.. i might give it ago and see how he likes it....

17. Keiko

Keiko New Member

Lesha - It's worth a try, I used to feed 1 cup of veggie oil before I switched to just 1/3 cup of EG. I think I got better results with the EG, and since I am feeding less it works out cheaper too.**)

Tam - I also make my feeds up a day or so before with the oil mixed in, I assume it is OK? If anyone thinks otherwise, let me know

18. pso

pso Gold Member

keiko- All oils have a similar amount of energy/calories...so using less would depend if you are feeding it for his coat, or as an energy source ;)

Tam- can you put a cup/jar of oil on his feed ready to be tipped in by whoever is feeding him?

19. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Seems like EG is a popular and effective product then;)
    Would be very interested in seeing any before and after pics of people feeding EG?