Energy Gold

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Babe, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Thanks Zaza..Im definitely getting a 20 ltr tub next time LOL

2. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

Woohoo! Go Wilson and Babe! **)

3. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Thanks SMR;)

4. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

proud equestrian, its FANTASTIC for weight gain, I use it for weight gain for all my horses that need it and it works wonders, make sure you introduce slowly like any other food though, that way they get used to digesting it :)

5. proud_equestrian

proud_equestrian Active Member

OK... awesome! Thank you Bubblez!
    I will get some from the merchants this week!

6. madcow

madcow Guest

Is Energy gold Garlic oil or is it just Garlic flavoured?

How is it better than say just feeding normal Canola oil? (apart from the added vitamin E that you could suppliment seperately maybe?)

7. pso

pso Gold Member

MC- it costs more- it must be better*#)

8. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

MC, I think the garlic is added. Energy Gold is a blend of oils, supposedly balanced for maximum benefit.

I was feeding canola oil for a long time and then changed over to RBO when BFSD had a blip (in one of my many "what's changed and how can I make it better" moments lol). It might have been coincidence as there are too many variables with BFSD, but he went so much better once on the RBO. Last time I ordered some from the stockfeeders, they were out of RBO and so I have got some Energy Gold.

IMO, canola oil is fine for most horses - I think it is one of the better balanced oils for horses. If you want more than just energy, the blended oils do seem to make a diference, but then I am feeding 600ml per day and it is a mojor part of BFSD's diet (oh, and they are more than twice the price of canola :eek: )

As for the added vit E, I still have to add a supplement for selenium, which only comes with vit E anyway and so it is of no benefit to me :p (and BFSD isn't too fussed on the taste of Energy Gold :( - the others all love it).

ETA: haha pso...too right!

9. madcow

madcow Guest

ROFLMO good point!

I was recently spending a fortune on buying Hygain RBO (for horses so must be better than normal supermarket rice bran oil?).

Smart friend recommended I feed plain old black n Gold Canola oil(or whatevers on special) to be more economical with exactly the same benefits

Just wondering if EG is better in some way or just another oil?

10. pso

pso Gold Member

MC- It has a better omega 3:6:9 ratio....
    canola has the best balance of the 'neat' oils, but if you feed a lot of omega rich products, the wrong balance can do more harm than good (eg, too much omega 6 can increase arthritic inflammation):)

11. madcow

madcow Guest

BFSD is a 'speshal' case I spose:)

PSO where did you get the info on too much omega 6 increasing arthritic inflamation? (Google isn't my friend). Is that more in relation to human studies where they'd likely to be ingesting multiple sources?

12. pso

pso Gold Member

google*#) There are studies somewhere...have to go ride BFSD- will look later :p

Horses get multiple sources too ;)

BOSS in premixed feed?
    linseed oil in premixed feed
    RBO in premixed feed?
    Wheatgerm oil in bran?
    Canola meal?
    FFS?

13. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

14. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

15. madcow

madcow Guest

Intersting**)

16. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Hey PSO do you know if the feedxl "amino acids" thing is looking at the ratio?
    never mind - answered my own question... and found the omega calculator on the forums...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  17. proud_equestrian

I got a 5lt bottle of Energy Gold for the little pony mare I rescued... introducing it slowly of course... so I will be interested to see any difference in a fornight or so. She didn't object to the smell or anything in her feed.... in fact I think she must have quite liked it as she stood at her bucket for a few extra minutes licking it thismorning! LOL

18. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

i fed energy gold to my boy last year to try for the coat coz doesnt need any encouragement on weight and found he loved it but didnt do anymore for coat then i am already doing so cost factor i stopped using it and back to crushed linseed that works a treat

19. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Jed is loving his EG!! He gets even more excited when he see's his bucket coming, and licks any and all dribbles of oil LOL

Jed has deffinately improved in the 2 weeks I've been feeding it to him - in weight gain, energy and coat improvement!! :D

20. proud_equestrian

Excellent to hear Cheeki.... :)
    Hopefully it will help my little girl too :)