Emergency Stop in Cart

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by fishiz3434, Mar 25, 2012.

1. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

I'm very new to the driving scene and have started my pony in a little buggy, he's been going great but today got excited and then spooked and bolted, the buggy has no brakes and I ended up doing a sort of one rein stop but the only reason he really stopped was because he saw the horses in the paddock next to where I pulled him.
    He is bit-less because he has teeth problems but he is very responsive to the halter which he is fine being ridden in.

Is there a correct way to do an emergency stop AND does anyone know where i can get a hand brake put on the buggie (I'd like one regardless of the stopping issue)

2. kp

kp Well-known Member

A one rein stop is dangerous in a cart. You will tip the cart up, causing you to come out and then have a loose bolting horse with a cart on. It is a recipe for disaster. Why do you want a hand brake on the cart?

We're you in a bitless bridle or ordinary halter? Even if a horse is fine to ride in a halter, I doubt I would ever drive one in a cart with just a halter.

I have generally found that the worst thing I can do with a bolting horse is try to pull it up immediately. Allow them to go forward, then try and stop them. Easier said than done though.

3. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

good luck with this. have horrifying memories of our shetland bolting in the cart & one wheel hitting a cement water trough, flipping the whole frigging contraption through the air.

scary.

4. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I think you are very brave to drive a pony or horse bitless.

I would not! If the pony could not wear a bit I would not consider it suitable for harness. Perhaps that shows my ignorance, as I have only started four horses/pony's to harness before, and I have no problem or issue with riding a horse bitless, but in harness...I think is asking for trouble!

If you are going to continue, then make sure you atleast have a bitless bridle, as opposed to a halter.

If he bolts again, gain control and slow him down all the way to a back up. Keep him straight, keep steady and calm, use your voice and reins, and investigate why the bolt happened in the first place....too much feed, taking out before ready, not obedient enough???? I dont know, but bolting pony's and carts are dangerous for both driver and pony.

Please be safe.

5. seedytoe

seedytoe Well-known Member

Gawddd,why did I open this thread... just breaking a pony to harness after too many years wiithout one, nerves are vibrating madly. I reeeally don't neeeeed to read of stuff like this!

6. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I ride my horse in a halter with rope reins. He absolutely is more in control in this then in a bridle however I would NEVER drive a horse in harness without a bit.

Their mouth is the only control you have when things go wrong and while my old Boy had such a soft mouth I drove him in a snaffle I would not drive with nothing in their mouth at all.

7. abi

abi Well-known Member

You did the correct thing ..one reinstop.. get in touch with acds and ask their advice on the situation
    I attended one of their training days and a pony (mini) did the same thing and the instructors for the day , all very very experienced drivers all yelled to do a one reinstop. it did not tip the cart up on this occassion, but there is always going to be that risk.:)) Please put a bit in or get some kind of hackamore, just for your own safety.:eek:

8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Please seek some professional advice. There are plenty of people out there willing to give it to you without charging. I can give you some emails if you wish.

I have stopped giving advice to people "training" thier horses to harness because altho I competed for 10 years and have driven for 15 I do not have any idea what I am talking about.

After seeing everysort of possible disaster with bitless horses, blinkerless, no helmets 'oh they are sooooo quiet' kids being led around in carts and worse just let loose in carts, every person with a mini is an expert, how hard can it be, ill fitting gear and carts, hell missing gear cause what does it matter? - I give up.

When harness goes wrong, it usually goes VERY BADLY wrong. But meh, the "will never happen to us" is very much alive and well.

9. kp

kp Well-known Member

I have seen some very nasty accidents when drivers have attempted a one rein stop when in harness. Did these people explain the method they like to see for harness horses before or after the incident?

As NG said, the OP really should seek some precessional advice. A bolting horse is bad enough, but one in a cart is even worse.

10. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

altho i broke my own to harness/cart, NO WAY woudl i have done it if i didnt completely trust the man who mouthed him for me.

my personal veiw is rather close to Nannygoats.

if your horse isnt properly mouthed, dont put it in harness. there is no emergency stop in a cart.

11. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

Thanks for the advice, Unfortunatly hasn't helped too much, He was professional trained in harness and can't EVER have a bit but has a blinkered bridle with a bit less attachment, it is like a halter but with rings to attach the reins.

I worked out, the reason he took off was, because he had the cart pushing him,... normally i stop at the top of the hill and walk him ssllooooowwllly down but cos he spooked he surged over the peak and had the momentum going, hence why a brake would have been handy. ****ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET ONE!!!***:D

Maybe I should have added a bit more info: He's a little Shetland cross, I backed him when he was 3 and did a lot of long reining so my aunty could take him for walks and get him fit without his head being pulled to the side all the time, then she got the cart, had him trained in it and he was fine on their nice flat ground, since coming to me he's had to get used to ups and downs, the pony i used to drive for the odd lesson was VERY well trained so never occured to me to ask how to stop when they take off, i just assumed half halts would work...silly me ';'

So now i've learnt there is no emergency stop we can work on inventing one :)* for now though we're working on the small slope, getting the trot going and back to a walk while going down it, if need be i can just steer him up the big hill which he can't get up yet but today he was good and we didn't ven look at the big nasty hill (I swear he gives me that look if i even look at it :p )

Now no nastyness please people, I've no need to prove to you I'm not a stupid mini owner putting gear on incorrectly and trying to train some spoilt pony who lives in a suburban back yard. I've done all the right things by this pony so shut ya gob if nothing constructive to add about emergency stops or buggy breaks :D

12. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

is dutyfully shutting up. cos man.................... So much i could say here.

13. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

oh nice.

Shutting gob cause its all been said really.

14. kp

kp Well-known Member

The best I can do with regards to breaks is inform you that Trotters in Europe are sometimes worked in bikes with brakes as a form of resistence training.

Other than that shutting gob!

15. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Honestly, I dont think a break will stop a bolting horse or pony! If you can pick the cart up, which I am guessing you can, as I could easily lift the wheels off the ground on my pony cart, then you can apply the breaks as hard as you like, until you lock up the wheels and that pony will be able to pull the cart along in a flat out bolt.

Every one that has posted to your thread has done so with your safety in mind, and even if some of the suggestions were not quite what you wanted to hear, it is pretty rude to go telling people to shut their gob!!!

I still stand by my viewpoint that if you cant bit that pony up, then dont harness him up....for your and his safety!

Do you want me to shut my gob now???';'

16. LittleTM

LittleTM New Member

I think I'd let anyone say anything and pick and choose what advice seems to suit me best... however, if person after person says that a one rein stop is dangerous in a cart- then there must be something in it (and when you consider what movements a one rein stop leads to... I think they might be on to something)
    what carts did have brakes? and how did they work may be more appropriate questions if you are set on getting brakes...

17. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I believe that four wheeled carts have foot breaks which is purely to assist the horse to slow up a far heavier cart, particulary when going downhill.

None of my two wheeled carts had breaks, but I am sure you could have them added, its just that, due to their lightness, they should be easy for the horse to pull up.

I dont believe that a break, added to this cart, will stop this pony if he wants to bolt!

18. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

im putting a brake on my two wheel cart, but only to slow it down on hill decents so it wont push him too much, not to stop the pony!

19. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

This is what I believe them to be for.**)

20. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

How would you go about 'inventing' an emergency stop for something that really you can't stop? Like it's been said, if you can pick a cart up then how on earth are breaks going to stop it from being dragged by something stronger than it?

I don't know anything about carts/driving but I do know 2 things.
    1) It can be hard enough to pull up a bolting horse/pony when in the saddle, with a bit and a well trained one-rein stop ( I know this from an incident we had with a racer who flat out galloped 1.6km and didn't stop until the rider jumped off) so to try it with out anything but a set of reins to me seems rather hard. and
    2) Theres really no point asking for advice on something and then telling anyone who may have a negative point to 'shut their gob'