Electrolysis or laser hair removal (ladies only)

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Redsticks, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Redsticks

Redsticks Well-known Member

Has anyone had it?
    or know anyone who has had it

2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Would be interested as well...

3. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

Dont know much about it but a person i used to know (like 10 years ago) had it done regularly and practically had no hair left. Not sure how many treatments she had. She had her bikini and underarms done from memory. sorry not much more help.

4. Cowgirl_9

Cowgirl_9 Active Member

I have had it done 2 times, hurt like absolute hell!! (downstairs) but after a week the hair started growing back, then it just fell out.. Was quiet expensive and with my work its hard to get an appointment so haven't been bacck and hair has nearly grown back to how it was before I had it done:(

5. Starbe

Starbe Well-known Member

yup. you need light skin and dark hair for it the work effectivly. feels light being flicked with a lacky, very quick treatment. i had the recommended number of treatments and still get fine hair - was very happy though.

6. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

eerk! I thought for all that money is was never supposed to grow back?

7. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

Same NG. I am so tempted as, thanks to my father I am part poodle. Waxing every 4 weeks is soooo painful and I'm sure adds up in the end (lets see $40 a month... sheesh thats $480 a year... whoa).

8. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

I had 6 treatments done on underarms, bikini. Worked well at the time but now 6 months later there is no difference to what it was before!
    Good thing it was a present from my mum!
    It was good in that there are no ingrown hairs from the treatment, but bad because you arent allowed to wax in between treatments, and have to shave so get ingrown hairs from that!

Would not do it again, would stick to wax for bikini and shave for underarms - its just easier and less expensive.

9. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

i invested in one of those Epilator (sp?) things. i do my under arms and legs with it (ya don't wanna go else where with it trust me PMSL) and ya can pick em up for like $60. Good value. :)*

you can do the sides of your bikini line with em but i wouldn't try taking all the hair off with it haha *#)

10. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

My friend gets down there done - the whole lot, and loves it, she has had 6 or 7 treatments, @ $99 each, and doesnt need anymore, its permanent

apprently darker thicker gets a bestter/faster result,first you shave the area, its just like an elstic band flicking you, she she has a few hairs here adn tehre, but they actually fell out when she first started having it done.

Im going to start getting it done, im over waxing

11. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I only wax once a year for the holiday (his treat) and BY GOD I yell the place down -which is embarrassing cause they know me...

For the rest of the year just tackle it with the whippersnipper.

Have considered the laser stuff but seems to be a bit hit and miss and if its not permanent well can't see the 'value'!

12. Tempo

Tempo Well-known Member

I'm looking into getting it done now...
    God I hope it works as it means I have to drive to Perth for every treatment, so $100 worth of fuel on top of the cost of each treatment!
    I just have to find somewhere I'm happy with now :)
    Any recommendations from those that have had it done and are happy with it??

13. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

once a year!!

no wonder it hurts, lol the more you do it the less it hurts, shorter hair is heaps easier and hurts soo much less

14. Redsticks

Redsticks Well-known Member

Theres different types of machines I'm assuming
    I've been talking to a girl who said hers has lasted 10 years!
    but its definately more than 100 per session

15. Tempo

Tempo Well-known Member

Redsticks ~ exactly! I want to find out where the 'good' machines are and who has them, I'd rather pay more money for real "permenant" removal that will last for years!

16. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

it also depends on what type of hair you have as to how long it lasts for, it lasts a bloody long time, and the way i look at is: by the time the hair starts growing back i hope its grey and ready to start falling out anyway *#) lol

17. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

I had IPL done downstairs and underarms. I had 2 sessions downstairs and 1 under my arms. I went on holiday and didnt organise to go back.

Multiple sessions are required for the following reasons:
    Hair grows at different rates and also has 3 different cycles. IPL only works on the hair when its actively growing. So that is why multiple sessions are needed to get those hairs that were not in the growing period when you had the session.

They expect about 4-6 IPL treatments until you are considered hair free.

I had 2 treatments downstairs and the hair loss for the area done (no I didnt go brazillian, just bikini :p) was about 80%

For my underarms which was only 1 treatment I experienced 50% hair loss.

These treatments where done in late 2007 and this hair loss factor has remained the same. I only shave under my arms every 6 months as the hair that is left is slow growing.

I would higly recommend IPL. The darker and thicker the hair, the better the result but also the more it hurts. I had downstairs done first and it was agony, but my underarms only hurt slightly. If I had had my underarms done first and then my bikini line, I would have thought they were doing something wrong LOL.

Oh and I could never decide which was worse. The freezing cold gel they put on first or the burn from the laser that came next.

18. Tempo

Tempo Well-known Member

Que Sera Sera ~ sounds good. What kind of pain level are we talking? First time waxing pain? Stubbed toe on furniture pain?
    Mild "oooh...that's not pleasant" type pain?? LOL!
    Where did you get it done at? PM if you'd prefer **)
    Cheers!

19. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

LOL. Bikini line was first time waxing/boiling water is being poured no me pain.

Underarms was normally waxing pain.

But unlike waxing where its in one hit, this goes on for a while.

I went to a place in Joondalup, cant remember the name, but there are quite a few around now. I think I heard one advertise on the radio for bikini & underarms together sessions for $99. Where as my bikini was $150 per session and underarm alone was $100 as session.

I would just google if I where you.

also forgot to say, dont panic if you smell smoke. Thats just your hair frying. It was quite un-nerving at first

20. Shakhaan

Shakhaan Well-known Member

I have had 4 SPL (square pulse light, as opposed to intense pulse light) sessions "down there, the entire lot", and am finding it makes an amazing difference. Have got almost 60% permanently gone, so each treatment now is less painful as not so much hair to fry! My sessions are only $99, and every 6 weeks. I have very dark hair, and very white skin so its ideal. Have never waxed, couldn't think of anything worse. Yes, the zap hurts like being stung with a lacky band, but disappears almost instantly, no lingering pain or soreness. Once it's pretty much gone with no regrowth, then I'll need one maintainence session every six months, to keep it "permanent". I'm pretty much in and out in under 15 mins. I found I only needed to shave once or twice between sessions to keep it "tidy", as opposed to every 3rd day!

I got sick of shaving, so the OH suggested permanent ;) I go to a salon who only does this, in Mandurah, they have centres all over the metro area... just google "hairfree" :) I wish I'd done it years ago!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009