Electric fence and rugs!

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Shanae, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Shanae

Shanae New Member

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on what to do with a horse who has no respect for fencing? If she is rugged she just pushes or walks straight through the electric fencing. So I'm not rugging her at the moment, as she can now feel the zap of the electric she is fine with the fences but its so cold and she is losing weight trying to keep warm! I feel so sorry for her. What do I do??

Someone once told me I could stitch elec tape to her rug? But I have no idea on how to do it so it works?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. madison

madison Well-known Member

Don't put a neckrug on her then she should still feel the fence

3. foxleigh stud

foxleigh stud Active Member

Loop a section of wide band electric tape (you can simply sew a closed loop with a bit of velcro) around the front connection of her rugs - so that it touches her - then if she touches the fence she will get a zap.

4. plbk

plbk New Member

I was advised by the Gallagher rep to just sew a small piece of tape to the inside of the rug over the rump area so they get a little zap regardless of the rug/combo...much like what Foxleigh suggests

5. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-known Member

Yup i like what these guys have suggested.... :)

6. CountryGurl_007

CountryGurl_007 Well-known Member

My guys are great with electric fencing my 3 yr old not so great at the start so i left her naked and let her push up against the fence she only only hit the fence a couple of times and now she is totally respectful of all fences

7. macklin dramero

macklin dramero New Member

Good ideas, I will remember if my horse forgets what the fence does over winter
    :rockon::rockon: