Electric brake units

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Skittled, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

What is the best in car electric brake unit, that is also at a reasonable cost? With the purchase of my new float on the horizon, I need to start looking around....

2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I have no idea on brands but had a box mounted just near the left knee on the drivers side and OMG drove me nuts, was forever hitting it with my knee. Got it replaced with one that has a simple knob thingy mounted in the dash (pretty similar to a switch for spotlights or any of those sorts of things) that you push to activate it or turn it to adjust how much brake is applied to the float when the car brakes...... much better **)

If you are ever given the option to have the electric brake unit mounted on your floats drawbar (different to breakaway units) politely advise them you don't want it for they too a complete pain in the @r$e. Got one on my float and it has driven me nuts, only good if the need arises to tow the float with a vehicle that doesn't have electric brakes installed.

3. Skittled

Good idea Gonerama. I only have heard of the box units. Further investigation required :)

I certainly wouldnt go down the path of having it on the float!

4. Braids Dale

Braids Dale New Member

I have the tekonsha p2 installed in my car. Did alot of research and going on 4wd forums and this had the best reviews. I found it was cheaper to buy from the eastern states and have it posted to Perth than to buy from anywhere in Perth.
    Because its a pendulum (sp) controller it needs to be dead level when fitted and turned on nowhere on the dash or under the dash was suitable so it fits in the ashtray and just unclip and replace the ash tray it when not in use I also had a seperate on/off switch like for spotties installed.

5. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I'll be in my car on Saturday, do you want me to get a pic of what I have installed?

6. Skittled

I've read that the tekonsha p3 doesnt have the pendulum in it so it could be mounted anyway.

Yes please GoneRama :) Would it be a Redarc system by any chance?

7. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

CR@P, forgot to get a pic of the unit :eek: Now sitting at Darwin airport and car is 50ks away at a mates place :unsure:

Sorry Skittled, I remember sitting in the car looking at it and thinking to myself "must get a pic of that"

8. Skittled

Hahahahaha. No worries.

9. oldtenth

oldtenth Well-known Member

Hi I recently had fitted an Hayman Reese Compact control unit in my BT50, the control box has been fitted under the dash and switches as per snap, took the float with horse on first drive this morning and works great.

[​IMG]

no messy box sitting anywhere exposed on the dash.

not sure what the unit cost is as an mate did a special for me and it took over an hour to install.

10. Skittled

Looks great oldtenth!

11. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

Yep the P3 can be mounted at an angle. I like that the P3 can alert you to issues, such as a disconnection, earth fault etc. I haven't seen many other units that do that.

12. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

After having the Prodigy for years I went with the Redarc upon the purchase of a new car. OH has just pulled the Redarc out and put the old Prodigy in for me as I've had issues with the Redarc. At low speeds the Redarc would constantly lock up the wheels, backing the control knob off it wouldn't stop until the brake unit was completely deactivated. We've messed around with adjustments and for the life of me I can't get it to a point where the float brakes are kicking in without it locking the wheels at low speeds.

Looking on the 4x4 and caravan forums it seems to be a common thing but couldn't find any solutions. Unhappy with driving home relying solely on the car brakes/gears to pull up pretty much made the decision to swap them over for me.

13. Skittled

That's not very good Ponies4Me. What made you choose to change over to the redarc with the new car?

14. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

Not a whole lot of space in the front of the Prado for the unit, Redarc was just the knob without the unit so the BIL was gunning for it as a 'neater' option. We've pulled the ashtray out and put the Prodigy in there, still easy to reach without any knee bashing :)

15. Skittled

Good idea! I'm leaning towards the prodigy, but mounting location is requiring some thought at the moment.

16. oldtenth

oldtenth Well-known Member

and I am having my Hayman Reese Compact unit changed this week, as apparently what was fitted, appears now to maybe be not compatible with either the Mazda BT50, Ford Ranger and some other older Fords. Something that became apparent when the warning light started flashing the other day whilst towing after two tows. The paperwork with the unit did not indicate otherwise.

Thank goodness it has been caught early and it being replaced at no cost.

Lesson from this if you have any doubts over what you have, it pays to check with the manufacturer that the controller is actually compatible with your vehicle.

17. Skittled

Good point oldtenth.

18. ovaxitd

ovaxitd New Member

Tekonsha P3 is what you need, It is a progressive brake controller that senses the amount of braking your doing in the car and adjusts it to the float. You set it up to your specific float.

You should never have your brakes lock up EVER.

The redarc is old technology that you must always adjust depending on around town/ highways etc. 1-10 settings and you touch the brake a little (100-80 zone etc) to slow down and they activate with full brake force.

P3 settings can be for empty float, slightly loaded and fully loaded etc. Have also diagnostics with battery, voltage to brakes, how much amps (shows if something stuffed) and if it ever becomes disconnected flashes and lets you know..

Can buy off ebay - This guy sells the lastest updated system and is the australian model.

Tekonsha P3 Prodigy Electric Trailer Brake Controller 4x4 Towing Ebrh P2 IQ | eBay

ps. Some of these new 4x4's and cars in general have sensitive load sensing computer charging systems so when you add an accessory to them they sense too much power being taken by the computer and show warning lights on dash. This can also happen because of trailer lighting etc so be aware. -

Hope this helps

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  19. Skittled

Thanks for that! I have decided to go with the P3 controller, just sourcing one and an autosparky at the moment.