Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by JessiTrist, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. JessiTrist

    JessiTrist Well-known Member

    Should I register myself and Tristan into EFA? I am 14 and Tristan is 20, I was hoping to start showing soon, just un-official hacking and dressage. Do you need to be regitered with the EFA to do these? also what would it cover etc.

    ~To ride a horse is to borrow freedom...~
  2. squidhillqh

    squidhillqh Guest

    you do not need to be registered with the efa to compete at unofficial shows and events.

    It has been a few years since I was an EFA member but at the time it was insurance to cover us if we were hurt and also any damage our horses caused, With all the insurance hic ups these days Im not sure what the policy will cover you for.
  3. beau

    beau Well-known Member

    We are registered with EFA, if you go to shows and there is an accident you are covered by your insurance, whether it be an official or unafficial. A lady had a bad accident at our ponyclub which was running an ODE and her EFA insurance covered some of the cost. Also if you are having instruction with a registered coach then your insurance will cover you again if you have an accident in her/his care. For the cost of $90 student or $150 full member I think it is money well spent.
  4. beccy

    beccy Well-known Member

    Some pony clubs are allowing riders to compete unregistered, but many are now taking up the option of giving out 'day' membership to cover insurance. If you are only looking at a couple, then probebly no need, but if you are riding reguarly and out competiting or going to other people places for training then definately look into it. with EFA you are covered 24 x 7. Many instructors are enforcing their students to be covered.

    However, jessi, at your age you would be best joining pony club. THis also covers your insurance for most things, and not onlly that, you will also get regular instruction and discounts to shows run by the club you join with.

  5. Bethy

    Bethy Gold Member

    I'm going to start showing Honda this year, mainly at Ag shows in halter classes. Do i need to be a member of the EFA (or is it just recommended) or any other orginasation to compete in these shows?

    ~When all else fails and there is no one else around, hug yourself~
  6. Kari

    Kari New Member

    Hi Bethy,

    You dont need to be a member of the EFA for halter/breed classes, only the breed organisation your horse is registered with.
  7. Bethy

    Bethy Gold Member

    Thanks Kari, thats exactly what i wanted to know. Honda is registered as an Anglo with the Arab Society so i'll join with them. Would they offer insurance as a part of the society or should i join the EFA as well cos they cover me insurance wise at shows and lessons etc.

    ~When all else fails and there is no one else around, hug yourself~
  8. Ali

    Ali Well-known Member

    Please forgive my ignorance of this but I have no idea about all this insurance stuff. The instructor I have lessons with is looking at starting up a riding club near to where agist. I am looking at joining but I will have to join EFA for the insurance cover. I think it's called being an associate member? As I do breed shows and hack shows with my horses will the insurance of EFA cover me for that or do I also have to pay the insurance levy of whatever club/showground I am competing at??????? As an example I am going with two of my horses to the Mandurah breed show. I asume they will have an insurance levy so if i was with the EFA would I not have to pay it? I hope someone out there knows 'cos I'm confused. HELP!!!!!

  9. Dinah Fleming

    Dinah Fleming New Member

    Ali, here are a few pointers

    If your coach is NCAS (EFA) qualified, his/her insuranace will covers any type of membership with the EFA and will cover all members of EFA affiliated clubs.

    If your coach is not an EFA coach then they will need to have their own insurance (Public Liability, Professional Indemnity etc) coverage to teach either at their own place or at any nominated venue.

    If you compete at a breed show, or any other club competition for a day, you will pay, as part of your entry a 24 hour day rate insurance under the banner of the club holding the competition.

    In all cases you need to fill in a Disclaimer Form either at the time you enter the competiton, or before you are coached.

    Other posts may be able to provide additiional information for you.
  10. Lin

    Lin Well-known Member

    Just to clarify a bit further.

    The insurance you get as a member of an EFA-affiliated breed or riding club is not for you! It is public liability insurance to cover the Club/show organisers and the venue owners for injuries/damages to third parties that may be caused by you or your horse as a result of your participation in their activities. It is based on alleged negligence arising from prangs causing bodily injury (including death) to third parties such as participants, property owners, spectators and non-members who might take legal action against the Club.

    As part of the Club package is peronal accident cover for voluntary workers. This covers medical expenses to helpers injured.

    If you want to be covered for medical expenses incurred if you yourself are injured while riding/competing then you need personal accident cover. The personal accident cover is only available to actual members of the EFA itself, either full or associate.

    So, the best bet (if you are an adult and not able to be covered by Pony Club), is to join the EFA, at least as an associate member. That way youare covered for medical costs everytime you ride your horse - regardless of whether you are in competion or not.

    And no, I'm not an EFA membership salesperson! [​IMG]
  11. valkyrie

    valkyrie New Member

    I just had a look at the EFA application and I noticed something a little disturbing. I'm sure you will be able to put my mind at rest. No where on the form do you actually sign your signature. I found this odd considering it's legal contract. Why would that be?

    Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
  12. Lin

    Lin Well-known Member

    I assume you are looking at the 2004 membership form for the EFA WA Branch, Valkyrie?

    Its a damn good question as to why you don't sign anywhere. I hope they are not using the credit card signature panel as a proxy measure because it may not be the member who pays.

    As the membership form is the only thing that ties me as a personal member to the EFA and hence to the AON personal accident cover, you think AON would be wanting a bit more info than that! If you look at the Victorian membership application there is a full scale Declaration at the bottom.

    Personally, I can't believe that there is not one standard application form for all the EFA State Branches. After all the EFA is a national body. I might ask the question of Franz Venhaus when next I email him about something or other.

    Well spotted, Valkyrie!!
  13. valkyrie

    valkyrie New Member

    Hey thanks Lin, that's awesome. I was wondering if I was going nuts. It would be a really good way to avoid a claim. I need to join so I can get lessons, but I don't want to spend the money if it turns out not to be legal.
    Thanks again.

    Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
  14. beau

    beau Well-known Member

    Hi valkyrie, have just read your post, we are EFA members, so it was interesting and to be honest I have never noticed cos we always pay by credit card. I have just emailed them to ask your question "why", so as soon as I get a reply will keep you posted.
  15. valkyrie

    valkyrie New Member

    Thanks Beau that would be great.

    Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.

Share This Page