Educate me! Speedi-Beet

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Fezzie, Jan 19, 2012.

1. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

I have fed it to laminitis prone horses before but could I feed it to a overweight Arab to help her get her waistline back? Currently she is on a roll of meadow hay - not brilliant quality, but something to chew on in the day. There is no feed on the ground so I like her having 24hr access to some form of hay, and I think oaten may be more fattening? She also gets a small hardfeed of shandy (maybe 2 litres) and handful of ponycubes & her supplements. She is not in work at the moment as hubby is in Canada & I can't leave the kids at home by themselves while I go for a ride!!! Roll on school again! Would speedi-beet be less fattening than what she is on now?

2. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Yes you can but be careful you dont go overboard fed in larger amounts it will put weight on.

3. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I use Speedi-Beet when I take my mare to Perth for competitions. She is a fussy princess and doesn't like to drink much (despite me carting around litres of "Kellerberrin Water"). So when we go to Perth I pack the Speedi-Beet and soak it in water, add to her feed and I know she is getting some water in to rehydrate her. When it's hot or she's worked hard I also add Recharge into the mix.

She isn't super keen on the Speed-Beet though - I would have thought it would be more palatable? She usually isn't fussy on her food and she will eat it (with a good dash of molasses) but she does sort of look at it and then look at me with a "not this mushy stuff again" look on her face! ';'

4. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I feed Micrbeet to one horse, to add extra energy to the ration without adding grain :) happy with the results.

5. roswick

roswick New Member

Another alternative

Not really related to spedibeet - but may be of some help to you ... I feed my horses Maxisoy+ (another low GI laminitis safe feed) ... its great for my competition horses (endurance Arabs) who need to keep condition as well as my 2 fat ponies who are prone to founder and need to watch their weight ... just a great all-rounder feed that is very economical ... it is also fed wet so is very good for horses that do not drink when travelling!

6. katie16

katie16 New Member

I have also heard finding of odd grains like corn, sunflower seeds etc found in speedibeet bags....not good when feeding to a horse prone to laminitis!!
    This is because many grains get processed through the same mill.
    Since being a situation myself with a pony prone to laminitis and feeding speedibeet i had many problems with so know feed Maxisoy, will never turn back! Much cheaper and works better!!!!!
    I love it :D

7. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

Critical minimum 5:1 water to SB ratio if not more.. I see so many just adding 'a bit'.

8. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

Lauren does the maxi soya have to be soaked and does it put weight on.

9. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Actually Katie you are incorrect on that. Speedi Beet is made on a dedicated mill and only processes Speedi beet and nothing else.

The product you are refierring to is the other beet product on the market.

Cadabby try her on Fibrebeet I bet she will love it or make sure you add a good amount of water to the speedi beet.

10. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I have been feeding Speedi Beet to my Mini's for ages now & never experienced any grains or seeds in the bags - ever!

11. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Same here Remaani almost 6 yrs of using the product and never once have I found any contamination in a bag of Speedi beet. Speedi beets quality control is too tight for contamination to occur.

I would never use anything else have tried other products and always go back to Speedi beet its the best one out there by a mile.

12. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Yep V you soak the maxisoy just for a few minutes.. swells up to about 5x it's size.. all my horses eat it straight..

I'm not sure.. I know we had 4 horses on it and they all gained wait.. but hard to know if it was the maxisoy or other changes to diet :)

13. katie16

katie16 New Member

Sorry my bad, i wasnt feeding Speedibeet, i was using Hygain Micrbeet (Same as speedibeet more or less, but is cheaper!).

14. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Interesting thst you comment it is cheaper as most stores that I have visited have it at the same price ;)

15. katie16

katie16 New Member

Yes i find different states/areas have different prices, it was just at my feed store it was cheaper.

16. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Arylin I pay $33 a bag for micrbeet, speedibeet is approx $40 a bag at my supplier. Fibrebeet is a bit more I think.

17. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Shouldnt be But I guess its upto store owners what they want to sell a product for.

Mind you there is a huge difference in quality as well between the two products :))

Fibre beet is on special at the moment so a great time to grab it and try if your interested.

18. katie16

katie16 New Member

I payed about $33 too for Mircbeet when i used it, now i use Maxisoy is about $21 at the moment.
    I think from memory Speedibeet was about $38-$40 put that was a while ago..

19. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

To be perfectly honest I have not noticed any difference between speedibeet and micrbeet except price! I am not concerned about milling or surprise grains etc as it is not being fed to a laminitic or IR horse. Micrbeet is a little bit more powdery but once it's soaked makes no difference.

Micrbeet is certainly not significantly different in quality by any means.

20. katie16

katie16 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope these two photos come up but found this over googling....seems alot of people find maize, sunflower seeds, corn etc etc

Even if it is a mix up, from hygain it would of left a buyer who brought a bag of Micrbeet in a bad situtation if feeding to a laminitic horse...

Not sure may not havbe happened alot but it has happened a few times..