Educate me! Speedi-Beet

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Fezzie, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Ok, so first up you should know that I don't intend to feed this to my horse :p

I got a free sample pack from the stock feeder and went - what the hey, can't hurt for one feed!

But, the info on the sample pack doesn't give very much info about WHY you would feed it??

In fact, one of the points listed says (and I quote) 'Improved nutrient availability: Unique processing allows release of nutrients prior to hind gut fermentation?' WITH the question mark?? Is that a point of interest? Or a question? :confused:

Anyhoo, my horse does very well on very basic feed which I don't intend to change - just curious really! :))

2. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Speedi beet is an excellent rehydration feed, great for overwieght horses as you can feed a small amount to mix minerals vitamins etc in.
    Ideal chaff replacer.
    Can be fed in larger amounts for weight gain if needed but Fibre beet is a better option if weight gain is required.
    Speedi beet is an easier digested fibre source than most forages.

3. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Thankyou :))

Ok, I get from the sample pack that it can be used for re-hydration, but also says it is made in the UK. Would that still make it suitable for Australian conditions? (just askin because I want to learn more ;) )

So you would use it as a replacement for chaff?

Could you not just feed a little chaff wetted down with minerals? Or is the speedi-beet more palatable? (I'm guessing most overweight horses don't have a problem with eating stuff :confused: )

I also got a sample pack of the fibre-beet, seems that that one is aimed more at older horses?

Sorry, I guess I'm lucky to have an easy do-er and haven't looked into alternative feeds, this has piqued my interest though :)

Sorry if my questions are stupid.... :p

4. I_love_equines

I_love_equines Well-known Member

My lease horse used to get speedi-beet with a bit of chaff and we found it a great way to mix the vitamins and minerals in and wet the feed down :) Not quite sure other than that as I didn't make the feed decisions but I did like the feel of it in my hands *#)

5. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

No question is ever stupid.

Speedi beet is an excellent rehydration tool especially taking into consideration our hotter temp than the the UK.
    Beet is not grown in Australia at all so any beet product is an imported product.

I rarely feed chaff and if i do it is sweet chaff, All mine are fed on a speedi beet base even the show ponies.

You could just wet chaff with minerals its a personal choice. Speedi beet is a better choice than chaff in my opinion as its a better source of fibre.

Fibre beet is not aimed at older horses but is certainly suitable for use on oldies.
    I have used fibre beet for mares with foals at foot, older ponies, show ponies and Siam loves Fibre Beet. Fibre beet is a great way to feed lucerne. Added benefit of fibre beet is that it can be fed dry if needed but it is more beneficial to feed wet due to the hydration advantages.

6. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Fezzie, the only stupid question, is the one not asked. :)

My friend feeds speedi beet to her pony who has diabeties (spelling?) as it is starch free and low in sugars... also making it ideal for Laminitis prone horses and ponies.
    It is a good source of slow release energy, so it is good for competition horses.

As to the suitable for Aussie conditions, I am not sure. I think as long as you ensure the feed is balanced with the other ingredients, there is no worries.

7. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Thanks again!

One last question (that I can think of for now! :p ) - is it comparable in price to say, a bag of shandy chaff?

The sample pack I had was 125g but it fluffed up HEAPS with water so I'm guessing you'd use much less?

8. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

I've got nothing to contribute to this thread but i was just wondering where you got your sample bags from?

I'm looking at trying this for one of my fussy horses but i dont want to fork out for a whole bag if hes just going to turn his nose up at it.

9. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Regent Park in Oakford :)

Might be a bit far away for you! Also, you'd have to be quick - looked like the chick who works there was taking most of it home! :p *#)

There was a big box of it she was putting out, maybe other stockfeeders will get sample packs too? ';'

10. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Beaudacious what stockfeeder do you use I will be trying to get to most of the wanneroo stores in the next 2 weeks with sample bags.

Hmm I'll have to speak to Regent Park about that the idea is to take a couple and try them not have one person take a heap.

11. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Eeek! I don't want to get anyone in trouble!!! :eek: :p

She probably had about a half dozen of both speedi-beet and fibre-beet - she WAS putting most of them on the counter! :eek:

12. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Bag of chaff costs around $22 on average and weighs around 30kgs on average i would guess. So a cost of around $0.74 a kg

Bag of Speedi beet costs around $38 on average and weighs 20kgs. When reconstituted this 20kgs makes upto 100kgs of a quality fibre source if soaked at the recommended one to five ratio.
    So in effect $0.38 cents a kg soaked. Add to that the fact that it is starch free and low in sugar and it is a healthier option especially for our laminitic and overweight family members.

I havent purchased chaff in a long time now apart from some sweet chaff that I use along with speedi beet for the mares with foals.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  13. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

LOl Your ok Fezzie I know Regents sales staff well i'll go in and stir her up :p

14. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

I do have to add to this thread... I was at the Vets the other day, and there was a poor pony there with Colic.. the owners had bought him a bag and the SF's told them to feed it dry !!#(

I hope he pulled throught & is home well now

Cheers
    Lee

15. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

Thanks! I use Wanneroo stockfeeders most of the time :)

16. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

We feed fibre beet currently and have fed speedi-beet previously.
    Both feeds have been great and quality is always consistent.

Our old pony goldie has cushings and so they are suitable feeds for his needs :)
    Goldie did well on speedi-beet maintaining his weight but at 28yr old with few teeth left we upgraded to fibre beet ~10 or so months ago now. Looks great weight wise and added fibre is good for him as he struggles with hay these days.

I also feed it too my horses in work if they have worked hard to rehydrate them or at shows if yarded to provide another source of fibre as mine are all paddocked 24/7.

I don't know what we would do without fibre beet. Love the products and will continue to use it :)*

17. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Citygirl I wonder if the stockfeeder got Speedi beet and fibre Beet confused and inadvetently gave them the wrong info.

I'd love to know which store it was. I have been busy dropping samples to a lot of stores and telling them that fibre beet although recommended to feed soaked for the added benefits of rehydration it is fine to feed dry as well. Sounds like they have confused the two :(

18. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I use to feed it.. found it rather expensive but maybe I just fed too much of it? Feeding maxisoy atm.... very very very cheap!

19. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Yes I know how vigilant you are on educating people on these feeds, its not your fault by any means... I think a bit of the blame might have to go on the owners head here thou, I'm guessing she didn't ad the SB in slowly into her horses feeds over a 2 week period, and might have given too much first up. ';'

Another thing people need to realize, if your horse is a GOOD drinker then a little dry feed is fine- but if they are not, in this weather- you'll basically going to make them very sick or kill them.

Cheers
    Lee

20. katie16

katie16 New Member

I feed maxisoy over speedibeet, maxi soy works MUCH better!