Eastern Hills Senior Highschool, WA

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Dusty_Ruby, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Dusty_Ruby

Dusty_Ruby Active Member

Does anyone have children at Eastern Hills Highschool? I would like to hear as much as possible about the school :D. Also, does anyone's children catch the bus in Wundowie or El Caballo?

Thank you **)

2. keridwyn

keridwyn Well-known Member

i went there a few years ago... probably around 7 or so now.
    I found it to be a fairly average school. No better or worse than any of the others.
    Can't help with the bus thing, i lived close enough to have my parents drive me when i went there.

3. Dusty_Ruby

Dusty_Ruby Active Member

thanks Keridwyn,
    I am trying to compare it to Northam Highschool

4. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I would say it would be better than Northam. ;) less riff raff from what I've heard.

I have heard some shocker stories about Eastern Hills, but at the end of the day I highly doubt it would be worse than any other "outer suburbs" public high school ;) All pretty much the same now ...

Have a look at the myschool website?

5. Dashbabe

Dashbabe Well-known Member

Check the recent thread about schools, there was a few words said in there.

I graduated from there this year. Didnt mind it...sometimes felt intimidated by some of the people there. Some awsome people and friends too :) If i had an option of the two schools i would go for EH. Lots of bus's for transport and close to shops in mundaring/mt helena. The school has a pool that can be used when swimming lessons arnt on, and outdoor educaton has a great course with the indoor rockclimbing wall and ropes, lake lesch for canoeing, orienteering in the bushland next door and they go on a camp to margaret river in year 11 then kalbarrii year 12. as well as rottnest yr 11 and 2 day bike treck (some of the munda biddi track) Probably about the same size as northam school but isnt so big when you know the classes ect. Decent amount of computers and resources/libary.

Wundowie just got a new bus with the seatbelts, tinted windows and curtions. Not sure about the chidlow one but its not as flash as wundowie

6. Dusty_Ruby

Dusty_Ruby Active Member

Thank you for the info.

Northam is very slack in my opinion. The children still have to do 'silent reading' to improve their reading skills in year 9!!! Where I come from, we started a third foreign language in year 9...

7. Dashbabe

Dashbabe Well-known Member

Geeez!

EH has cumpolsary Maths, English, LOTE (French, Italian and japanese) SOSE, and Science untill year 10 where you can choose not to do LOTE. They also go to the libary once a week to use resources ect in there english time.

8. finding_nemo

finding_nemo Active Member

My son will be starting at EHSH 2011. At the moment he is at Mundaring Christian College but we have made the decision that we cant justify keeping him in a private school. We went to the EHSH information night and I was very impressed. They have really lifted their game. They offer so much more than our private school. My son went to orientation day last week and is now excited about 2011.

Several friends of mine have pulled their kids out of private school and placed them at EHSH and the kids are doing well and loving it. Having spoken to the students the only thing they stress to my son is to make sure he does not get into the wrong group. I think he is smart enough to make the right decisions. I was concerned about drugs etc but have since found out that they are in all schools good and bad. It all comes down to education at home I guess.

9. Tempo

Tempo Well-known Member

I went there in 1993 and found it to be a pretty average high school back then. Usual problems that MOST schools had. But the teachers were pretty switched on and as a very "quiet" child of 13 that had just moved over from tiny Chidlow primary (as it was back then) didn't feel "lost" at any point.
    :D

10. Hot to Trot

Hot to Trot New Member

I had my concerns when my daughter went on to EHSHS from Mundaring.
    But had an excellent time there. Selected to go to Canberra from her politics class, danced and choreographed in 2 Rock Eisteddfords, Enjoyed the great photography and dance opportunities etc.
    She got 97% in her TER and has jut completed a double degree in Arts/Law.
    Mind you , she was always self motivated and after the first year got into a lovely group of friends. (in first year, she tried to get in to the IN Crowd but they did not want her..LOL)
    I think kids gravitate to similar kids. Luckily our experience was very positive.

Hot to Trot

11. Pugsworth

Pugsworth Well-known Member

I went to EHSH in 1981 and i turned out alright lol and my son is in year 9 there

12. Dusty_Ruby

Dusty_Ruby Active Member

Thank you all for your posts. :)*
    It's always a bit of a decision to take them out of a school where they have already settled.

13. Tails

Tails New Member

My eldest son went there for a few years before we moved. He was happy there. We lived in Wooroloo and the only downside was the bus comes through at 7:30 in the morning and gets them home about 4:30. Woorloloo and Wundowie were the end of the route. But they had the best life, riding motor bikes and a great community. Good and bad in every situation.

14. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I graduated from EHSHS in 01. Enjoyed most of my time there, and I did really well academically. Was in the Academic Extension group - not sure if they still run it but it provided me with some really good opportunities.

There's the usual dodgey-ness but that's in every school. Even the fancy private ones where you pay through the nose! Kids will be kids, no matter how much Mummy and Daddy paid for them to be there.

As T.I. says - "You can pay for school but you can't buy class!"

15. Kris KP

Kris KP New Member

Hi, sorry I'm jumping on here years later but I can seem to find any current threads on Eastern Hills High School. Every thing I've read other than this thread haven't been good.
    I'm thinking of sending my daughter there next year, she is quiet and reserved.

Any more current experiences out there?