EA Memberships and Renewals

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by nannygoat, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ThatMakKid

ThatMakKid Active Member

I dont think the SEC is as bad as people are making out. I like the grounds, the grass is flat and usually well maintained (only not when the weather makes it too difficult - no one to blame there)
    The new C Quest arena is beautiful to ride on. Ive flat and jumped in there and love it. The International arena and the new fencing around it really looks good, plus ive jumped in the Indoor several times with state clinics since the new surface has been put in and it isn't slippery nor boggy.

And sure the stables aren't stables that you would look at and go 'WOW' amazing! But how many people here have seen the stables in Victoria at Werribee? Um....hello NO SHELTERS between rows of stables, causing for mass flooding...also not to mention you all have to dump the manure in the middle between rows and a big tractor comes through 3-4 times daily and pushes all the muddy, smelly manure to the end of the row. You can't access your horse without gettin soaked or without gumboots. The SEC is a hell of a lot better than that.

And sure the stable manager is a picky man who sends you back ten thousand times but what about this HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE ROCKED UP TO THEIR STABLE AND FOUND IT DIRTY IN THE PAST?! My hand is raised ten times over! And how much does it piss you off!!! :mad: Thats why he is so picky!

Winge winge winge i hear a lot of winging. Sure i have winged because it is my weeks pay check just a bout to have my yearly membership. I would love it to be less. $200 even $300 yes fantastic. But reality is, the costs are only going to keep rising and sitting here on stockies and winging about it every year isn't gonna change a damn thing.

2. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

the last few comps ive been at at the SEC ive only been on the grass...

ehhhh uneven and sloping comes to my memory.... wasnt very impressed...
    do love the international arena tho.. but havent been scheduled to ride on it for like 18 months...

serpy grounds are average...

i was quite impressed with gidgi grounds when i did tests up there... probs just going to join gidgi... or SWDA... training days and in house comps...they run plenty
    and do my hacking under SHC as i always do... really just cant justify the $$ anymore for it...i dont get much in return and comp fees are high on top of it
    400 to rejoin +100+a comp... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hmmmmmmmmmm
    oh and i dont use the stables or the Xcountry or jumping or really do any hack shows there so its just dressage for me...

wishing i lived in QLD with smash... but yeah plan now is to train more at home - do training days with gidgi or SWDA and their house comps and then later on rejoin if its worth it cos im higher level ut even then.. they dont do pony dressage at olympics soooooo not sur eif its worth it till i get a big horse and start kicking butt hahaah

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

It doesn't necessarily have to be north of the river for the event, although if we are hosting there wouldn't be much appetite from our Club for hiring a venue that is in Serpentine, for example (as we are based in Millendon).

I don't know much about large venues down in the South, apart from the odd Pony Club grounds I've been to for an ODE in the past (eg Wallangara, Kelmscott, Gosnells) and also Magenup, but if there are some then I'd be happy to hear about them.

4. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

As far as I was aware, SWDA only ran training days and one open competition?

And I, too, love the Gidge grounds and events.

5. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

I would have probably paid for my membership and not thought about it if not for this thread. Come to think of it, it is annoying that I am paying for the SEC and I' ve been there once to ride in the last eight years. However it's nice to know it's there if I ever do get round to going. It is crap when you realise your paying for other peoples fun but it's inevitable really. The government has this other thing called tax that is really annoying too.

6. Purdey

Purdey Active Member

I just remembered, the last dressage day I went to was in aid of raising money for the SEC's international arena judging boxes. Funnily enough this event wasnt held at the SEC! There are plenty of ways to raise money other than hiking fees. And if its an event in aid of improving the grounds you love or want to ride at then you'd pay it.

A few stats from the comps and days I've run... Dressage judges $35ph, big sahes $3 each, venue hire $1-2k vs what you pay to enter some of these events. Just an idea :)

7. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

Well said Makka! **)

8. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Nothing wrong with expecting top class service for top class dollar ;) lower the fees to match the standard, or raise the standard to match the fees .. no brainer ..!

9. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Hen, have you contacted EWA with your concerns yet? And anyone else?

10. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Not this year - after long experience from trying last year/year before ... etc ... still really dirty about being ripped off when they made us pay full price again after 6 months!!!!

Not sure how decorous my phone manner would be now *#) Oh and would have to rejoin to do the committee thing ..

11. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I'm a fan of writing letters, so did write them a letter voicing my concerns.
    In saying that i just paid my membership so really even though i have concerns i have to pay an amount i dont consider worthy of the service we receive because i want to compete in certain events.

12. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

And I am in the same boat Gamby .. hmmmm I might write a letter too, I am more easily restrained via pen and paper *#)

13. fuddles

fuddles Well-known Member

and arent the housing developers looking at Werribee with glee least with Werribbee there is a bit of atmosphere, the sewerage farm and the zoo :))

l have no qualms about paying the EA, fees this year l have budgeted for it knowing that it would be at least =to a load of hay

EA is a business, as are all member driven sporting clubs

its a bit of the old adage use it or loose it :))

14. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Seems we are not the only state to be having concerns with Eqnet or the handling of the EA structure...

copied from another source....

EQUNECT - Many Implications!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The discussions about the first stage implementation of the system are pretty conclusive - it does not work and has not been extensively tested. This points to the liklihood that this system has been rolled out to take advantage of the potential income that they believed would have been generated from the levy on the entries for the "biggest horse show in the Southern Hemisphere" - Barastoc HOY Show.

This is no surprise to me as I had forwarded to me a month or so ago, our CEO's memo's to staff asking them to prepare a submission to the Board - in layman's terms - downgrading his initial profit projections. This was to answer questions that could lead to Inglis terminating the contract with EA in writing - which apparently is their right, at any time!

Considering that Grant Baldock has repeatedly and emphatically said that there IS NO COMMERCIAL CONTRACT with Inglis and it is simply a SPONSORSHIP and if it does not work for the horse sale auctioneer, they just walk away and no harm done - and no commitments otherwise have been made by EA - my finding set alarms bells ringing for me!

I copied the Baldock memos into a word doc and attached to a recent story I wrote about the conflicting things that we have been told and also suggested that downloading personal memos from the EA site, of such a sensitive nature, surely was a breach of Mr Baldocks privacy ... and if he could not look after his own management issues, how can we trust that the EA member security is in good hands???

More and more EA is losing sight of why we are members - we love horses and wish to participate in well run and affordable events. There are not too many of the membership who seriously think they can get to the Olympics, but if goodwill and a fair deal are in their membership package, everyone would be behind the top riders and work to ensure that Australia is well represented at Olympics and WEG.

Interestingly even the top riders with serious chances of getting to London see shortfalls in the management of their campaigns - These riders have put all other aspects of their lives on hold to make the Aussie teams! The organisation should be focussing on horses and riders and NOT making the most of commercial opportunities - this is not their primary role.

I believe that we must be very careful about our commercial associations as I have on good Authority that the NOT FOR PROFIT status that we all enjoy by way of huge tax savings, comes with an understanding that it is necessary for the tax man to help our governing body to serve the public interest (us members!) and this would be compromised if we had to pay tax lik allother commercial ventures.

I note the mention of the contractor who has worked for EA for 12 months studying the systems of Nominate and Global. His name is Colin Anson and I cannot find where he has been paid in the EA accounts. As Baldock has also said that Inglis is "underwriting" the software development I am guessing that this is where Mr Anson's money has come from. This guess is influenced by the fact that Colin Anson has worked with Mark Webster from Inglis in the past two jobs and for a period of 5 years - is he really working for EA???

Grant Baldock has told us how there are millions of dollars coming into the sport ... and the members do not know the structure of this! I have a friend quite well tapped into the procedures and responsibilites that a NFP organisation is bound by and he tells me that setting up structures underneath the body for whom the NFP status has been granted, could easily see EA deemed financially able to pay tax as it has a commercial income stream. There are many other issues but this is enough for one sitting!

I am not at all sure that Mr Baldock has thought everything through and as he does not have an accounting background - his degree is in Aviation, so I wonder who is advising him?

It is OUR money guys, lets see that it gets spent they way we expect when we join up to our governing horse body!

15. Serenity

Serenity Well-known Member

Same here -and I am not with bigpond! I am sick of emailing and ringing back and forth and I am still not registered.....gggrrrr:(:mad:

16. ThatMakKid

ThatMakKid Active Member

Im not putting down Werribee at all by the way. Went to the 3DE held there this year and had an absolute ball.

But really i dont see much comparison. Werribee's indoor...im sorry tin shed...doesn't compare to ours either.

I didn't have time to visit the zoo haha. However the XC course was phenomonal, AMAZING!! So picturesque, well set up, fantastic jumps, beautiful rose garden that we jumped through...i can't really fault the course. We are heading back there in 2012 :) (Just with better gumboots hahaha)

17. windmill

windmill New Member

Us eventers PreNovice and upwards don't have much choice but to pay the fees as pony clubs don't have as many levels (Dardy and couple others exception to this)

Someone mentioned earlier it works out about $8/wk - yes that's one way to certainly ease the pain and I'm happy to accept that

To alleviate such a big bill around xmas time, EA should offer members the option to pay by month or quarterly installments - this would assist those who don't have credit card etc (which is effectively another option of paying off bill)

I believe that one simple change could entice people more - most businesses these days offer payment options (rates, insurances, electricty etc)

EA - you need to do the same!!

18. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Well I wont be paying my membership this year, no reason to. Not looking forward to how much it will be by the time I need to register pony and show him :(

19. kathera

kathera Active Member

Limit applications and brookleigh *#) easier to run for club too then!

20. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Monthly payments would be awesome!!!