EA Memberships and Renewals

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by nannygoat, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

Oh ok thanks for that. I eagerly await my massive bill haha

2. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

I went to Christoff Hess Master Class and I thought the turn out was very poor :( definately nowhere close to "1500 for Isabel Werth" like you said.

Summer series is very well attended, but that is about it. They should have a series every season perhaps**)

3. Rivvy

Rivvy Active Member

well equnect for me is just a nightmare !! I joined when it first came out , but I had no email back, now its not recognizing my pass word or username but wont let me register again as Ive already registered :( I have wasted so much time on this computer, so Ive been onto eastern states and they are having problems sorting it out, apparently there has been a lot of problems with people with bigpond, I know that offices all close this friday so hopefully I can pay my membership somewhere or looks like we will be having a holiday :))

4. kathera

kathera Active Member

i do agree with what you are saying Lin

I guess unless you are an eventer though and need if for other events too, it really is alot of money to support the venue sports.

hard one, more pull out, up goes fees.. they need to think out of the box somehow to raise money in other ways - no idea what the answer is though!';'

5. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

They do...there was the winter and springs champ not to mention the state champs (autumn). I have ridden on the grass arena's numerous times this year. :)

6. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

No, I didn't attend CH *last* year ;) along with most people I know. The SEC spends most of its time collecting dust and costing money - USE IT - and make it a going financial concern, fix it up so this is possible. Or bail on it.

I think Katelol's idea was a good one. Members can't be expected to fork out more and more for less and less. Otherwise there will be inadequate numbers to fund anything - or will the fees go up to $2500 a year ';' EWA is going to fall apart at this rate.

7. Ridelikeyoumeanit

Ridelikeyoumeanit Active Member

i know of a few venues that hold 7 - 8 dressage arenas all running at the same time.

the few times we have used the stables at the sec they have flooded and we have not been able to prep our horses. then they tried to charge us for not cleaning out the wet spot but it was the gutter flowing over at the back of the stable and water running into 4 of them. we didnt have to fill our water bucket all weekend, just left it under the overflow

8. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Great, can you please name them?

We're organising a big dressage comp this year again and I struggle to think of a venue that can do that many rings north of the river (or even south Magenup?). Plus parking, yards etc.

9. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Why does it have to be north of the river, out of interest?

10. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

The Serpentine grounds are about the only place south of the river big enough to run an event with 5 - 7 arenas. I'm not sure that a lot of the high level riders are happy to compete there though - uneven grass footing and all that.
    Orange Grove can accommodate 5 rings (one on sand) but other than that there aren't many options.

11. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Bahahaha had to chuckle tho ZaZa - the very, very uneven grass footing at the SEC is one of the main reasons I try not to compete there wherever possible *#):p and the boggy indoor ... ;)

12. Purdey

Purdey Active Member

Orange Grove, huge FLAT open grass for many arenas, plus 1 sand arena, loads of parking and warm up space, new canteen and bathrooms. Love this venue, thats why Im a member :D

Getting back to the topic, I competed every weekend this year (eventing, dressage, hacking) without needing EWA membership. Ive always been confused as to what you got for your money.

I dont really want to say this next bit, but unfortunately its the truth. One of my clubs booked SEC indoor arena 3 times this year, twice they booked over us, and we got kicked outside (in winter, the reason for hiring the indoor!), even after many confirmations of dates. The stable arrangement is a joke, you pay for a stable plus deposit, they dont asign you a stable, no one knows whos is whos, most of them are locked still, then they dont know which to check to return your deposit??? This happened all 3 times. :confused: So not the best experiences or venue to deal with. Not to mention trying to get an invoice off them to pay them!

I dont want any riding venues to close or be unused, we need as many as we can. Hopefully they find a way to run it so its a win win for everyone

13. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I have run horses out on a regular basis in the indoor arena as well as riding and I have never found it boggy ';'

Serpentine is also a LOT worse than the SEC. In the official prelim dressage I did there last year we had ditches to jump :} Give me the SEC any day!

14. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

Being 5 hours away I used the SEC once last year as an EWA member. Whilst we are having a good old whinge about the SEC, how are the wash bays?! Have they been fixed? Gumboots plus waders plus floaties comes to mind! ;)

15. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I ride at Serpy quite a bit - the grounds are lovely :confused: do you not remember the furore where the showjumpers did not want to use the indoor .. ? I find it very boggy and wouldn't want to jump in there!! Not to mention in winter, when most comps are on, the sodding roof leaks and it's a slippery mess .. and spectators need wet weather gear *#)

16. Foxtrot

Foxtrot New Member

Does anyone know if you can go into the office to renew membership or do you have to use equnect? One of my friends doesn't have the internet...

17. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Pretty sure the surface on the indoor at the SEC just needed some use and time to settle. The last couple of times I've been up to watch things it looked pretty darn good.

I don't know what part of the Serpy grounds you've been riding on Hen but they're rough as ! The ditches from where the fill over the retic has sunk and the well worn tracks from show jumping events where a hundred horses pound pretty much the dame course makes it a nightmare (for dressage anyway ;) ).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  18. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

From PSO's post on the first page -

They'll also need to be quick as the EWA staff are on holidays from the 16th - or wait until after the 3rd of Jan.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  19. Foxtrot

Foxtrot New Member

Thanks for that ZaZa - must have missed PSO's post

20. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I would ride on the flat in the indoor but I wouldn't want to jump on that surface personally. lt's slippery as all hell with a bit of water on it - prob fine if it didn't leak, of course!!

Was at Serpy only a few weekends ago, and thought it was fine :confused: but then to be fair Serpy aren't trying to charge me 500 odd bucks a year either ;):p otherwise I would be expecting bloody polo fields!!!! The SEC grass area used to be lovely :(

For me, at the end of the day, it comes down to getting what you pay for - if I pay a shiteload to contribute to the upkeep of a facility, I expect a pretty specky facility. Not something barely akin to pony club grounds. I don't think that is unreasonable, and I don't think it should be a matter of 'well shut up and just don't renew membership then' either - EWA is a business, I am a paying customer (as are all of you) keep your customers happy!!!

But looks like it is what it is and no-one thinks it needs to change ';' all the defensiveness in the world won't change the fact that we, as members, are not getting what we are paying for!!