EA Membership cost, time is ticking......

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Mardi, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Love Shack

Love Shack New Member

On the SHC website it states the insurance is 24/7 insurance cover, for riding your horse anywhere????

So why wouldnt it cover you with an instructor?

2. pso

pso Gold Member

It isnt enough to validate your instructors cover- they need their own insurance to teach, and if its through EA (ie for NCAS coaches)- then they specify where the insurance comes from...so if you are only a SHC member- you cant have lessons with an NCAS coach (unless at club day)...despite the fact you have 24/7 accident cover, which and EA affiliated club member would not...
    it makes no sense- but thems apples;)

3. Love Shack

Love Shack New Member

So how come I have been able to have lessons with a NCAS level 2 instructor (not going to mention names) for years and Ive never been an EWA member? And Ive only been SHC this year...???

Is it a matter of cant or some instructors wont??

4. pso

pso Gold Member

some are willing to accept more risk ;) (or have other insurance- say for a riding school/agist centre)

I take it you dont mean lessons at club days? And that you are not a member of anything but SHC?

5. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

It's a matter of should, but many don't. :}

If one of their students had an accident and there was an insurance claim they would be in big doo doo.

It is really contridactory - welcome to EA *#)

Still cheaper if you are a hacky or no desire to compete official in other disciplines, to be an SHC member and be a member of an affiliated club, than it is to join EWA.

Does being a member of an affiliated club cover you riding 24/7? Or just in lessons with NCAS coaches?

6. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Anyone can do whatever they want ;) Why do so many people speed? *#)

Basically an EA instructor (and note not all NCAS instructors are through the EA, some are PC and others are RDA) is not covered by insurance unless they are teaching someone who is an EWA member (or a member of an affiliated club if that hasn't changed recently). So if they never have a reason to claim on their insurance then it doesn't matter who they teach. But if they tried to claim they would be personally liable rather than covered by insurance.

7. pso

pso Gold Member

Being a member of club only covers coaches/clubs liability cover- doesnt give any accident cover

8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

and only gives you liability cover on designated club days.
    It does not even cover inter-club events now....

9. Love Shack

Love Shack New Member

No Im not a member of any club other than SHC. Lessons are twice weekly at my own home (ie not club days)

10. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

ah ok, so when I have a lesson with an NCAS coach I am insured under their EWA insurance because the club I am a member with is affiliated with EWA.

Clear as mud LOL

So joining SHC is still a good alternative for any recreational rider to keep themselves insured when they ride, better off doing that instead of joining EWA as both memberships are still cheaper than one EWA membership.

That's what I'll be doing in any case :p

11. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

You can insure with the EWA as a recreational member which gives you 24/7 accident cover, allows you to have lessons with NCAS intructors, and allows you to compete at training days, inter-club clinics / unofficial events etc.

Not sure how much this membership category will be next year...

12. Wendy

Wendy Well-known Member

But you still have to pay the first $2,500 of a claim??? (See other thread). ';'

The whole insurance business needs a good shake up to make it more user friendly, as very few people, including me, can understand what is covered under which circumstances. :confused::confused:

13. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Thats a load of hogswash! When I had surgery to fix a fracture earlier this year, followed by OT etc, between Medicare, HBF and AON I only paid $100 (which was the AON excess) + the cost of radiology (because tis not claimable as a medicare item). There was no argument about the claim, i simply did the paperwork, sent it in and they sent me the money. BIG thumbs up to AON :))

14. pso

pso Gold Member

2500 is for liability claims...
    The accident insurance is pretty simple? (except that you arent meant to be able to claim if you are earning money at the time (eg- being paid to ride/train someone elses horse...or training a horse up to sell)

15. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Yeh that's right PSO. Dunno how it would go if someone WAS earning money but claimed that they weren't though? Dunno how they would check up on that? Not something I have had experience with (my own horses do a good enough job of injuring me LOL).

16. Belinda

Belinda Well-known Member

I'll be another one joining SHC next year, when my EWA membership expires at the end of the month. I was so angry at how misleading the whole membership issue was in June, and never even got an acknolwedgement to my email politely demanding my money back. I'm another who says they can take a running jump.

As someone else said, if the business I work for treated our clients like that, we wouldn't be in business!

17. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Belinda - should contact the ACCC
    ACCC home
    Because they have mislead you about a product and their advertising was misleading (even the website still had "Membership 2010/2011" in the renewal section!), they have to offer you either the product that was advertised (AKA 12months membership) or your money back.

18. pso

pso Gold Member

Yes- if you need a copy of the membership form- as proof, I can send you mine- which is still on the fridge ;)
    That said...it is a membership form for Equestrain Australia...not Equestrian Australia...*#)

19. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

LOL yerh i noticed that too PSO - MUPPETS! lol

20. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Ummm not saying that the EWA would ever deliberately mislead with an incorrect name on invoice...but legally could you do anything about the misleading dates and fees?

Seeing as the name on invoice is incorrect? Im guessing the ABN is correct tho?