EA Membership cost, time is ticking......

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Mardi, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

Can someone help me with my question?

I was going to only go associate as I only started to get my gelding out there in prelim mid last year and he did really well. My aim is to be competing novice by mid year.

Should I consider going official because it's only a $40 difference. Does this mean any associate shows I can still ride in but am not competing against the associate riders? I'm not a hundred percent sure what this will limit me too or if it will actually be more benificial?

Are there more associate or official comps out there?

2. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Official (senior/student/junior) and assoc can compete assoc dressage.

Most official comps have assoc classes.

Only thing is you wont be eligible for the assoc leadboard.

3. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

Thanks Heifer

4. Hit n Hurry

Hit n Hurry New Member

Just wondered where you see the future of equestrian sport coming from then? Should we all just stay in the pony club ranks and not want more? We are so often branded as an elitist sport (because people don't know what sacrifices some of us make in other areas). Higher EA membership costs makes it more so. PCAWA should be pleased anyway.

5. madcow

madcow Guest

???? I agree with you...it is becoming a more elitist sport!

I think the EWA is expensive for EVERYONE....kids and adults alike

6. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

WHY is it so much more expensive than SHC?

7. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

SHC doesn't offer the insurance for NCAS coaches, and also doesn't "support" the SEC. Not that I think that makes up for it, but 2 key things.

For those that aren't joining because of costs there are other options.

You can join SHC (or get your own insurance) plus an EWA affilliated ARCA and compete at club events.

If under 25 join PCAWA.

or

Register interest in Brews idea

Personally I am probably going to join as a recreational rider only because then if I upgrade to Senior the following year I won't have to pay the $100 membership. I still think $205 is too much considering what other clubs charge, but it will save me $100 in the long run.

Depending on how the start of the year pans out I will decide the other memberships, either an ARC, PCAWA or SHC. I haven't decided.

8. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Maybe its because EWA caters for multiple disciplines, not just one. And has a multi-million dollar venue to maintain (despite the attempted separation of accounts). Nor does SHC run a nationally accredited coaching scheme to my knowledge.

What does SHC actually do anyway? Do they keep registrations, track grading points of horses, make sure that horses and riders enter the classes they are entitled to? I'm not trying to be cute, I truly do not know what SHC does. I know they offer membership to Clubs to run hack events, provide PA insurance and put on a couple of top drawer events.

9. madcow

madcow Guest

Isn't that the 64 thousand dollar question!LOL

10. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

Some Associate shows limit entries to Associate members only, or exclude some official riders by saying you cannot compete in an associate class if you have placed in official in the last 12 months (for example). The Spring Associate championships this year is an example of where the organisers put some restrictions on official riders in Associate classes. It is up to the Individual club organising the event whether they want to restrict entries for Associate classes and Dressage WA promotions support the idea of restricted entries so Associate riders are not competing against official horses etc.

11. Double Helix

The 24/7 insurance provided as part of being a Recreational member of EWA is actually personal accident and personal liability insurance **)

12. Foxtrot

Foxtrot New Member

Think that's a good way to go - then at least Associates compete against their peers. Sort of like a Division 2 competition - lots of sports seem to do that.

13. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

SHC has only got 400 members - I would've thought they should in theory be asking MORE for membership due to the lower numbers
    They do keep rego's - off hacks are registered with SHC aren't they? Their rego fees are cheaper
    They have a fair few membership clubs
    their clubs put on heaps of shows each year
    SHC themselves put on Newcomers, Classic and HOTY comps

From their website
    Really if you are a hacky, I don't know WHY you be a member of EWA, it is so cheap to join for $100 a year and you can go compete at any SHC member club show that you want. The only thing you don't have is NCAS coverage.

maybe 2011 will be a year of hacking for many ?

14. To be honest, I am beginning to wonder that myself. I go to two EWA show horse comps - the winter gala and HOTY. I do like to do the occasional dressage test as well, but really, I'd be better off just with the SHC.

IMHO the EA should focus on the Olympic and WEG disciplines and leave the showing to the SHC who do a much better job anyway! It would be so much better with only one HOTY too.

15. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

Another question - i motly want EA membership for insurance. I generally go to unoffical hack days and unofficial dressage days. If i join as a full senior member am i allowed to still go to the unofficial days?? or am i limited to official shows only??

Thanks

16. Double Helix

You can join as a Recreational member and have insurance and go to unofficial / training days.

17. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

so recreational will cover me at hack shows (unofficial), dressage, showjumping etc or will i need associate?

18. barragirl

barragirl Active Member

Well the costs are in..... and as predicted, they aren't cheap.....

SENIOR
    Over 18 as at 01/01/11 - Can compete in all EWA Affiliated/Official Competitions.
    - Can register a horse
    - Will receive a copy of the EWA annual yearbook ?Collections?
    - Has full voting rights
    - Has the right to nominate for election to the Board or Discipline Committees
    - Includes Personal Accident Insurance.
    - Ground Service and camping fees not applicable, reduced hire/stable fees at SEC
    $390 $100.00 Once off joining fee

JUNIOR
    Must be under 18 as at 01/01/11
    Students must be full time over 18yrs - Can register a horse
    - Can compete in all EWA Affiliated/Official Competitions
    - Includes Personal Accident Insurance
    - Ground Service and camping fees not applicable, reduced hire/stable fees at SEC $350 $100.00 Once off joining fee

Student
    Students must be full time over 18yrs - Can register a horse
    - Can compete in all EWA Affiliated/Official Competitions
    - Ground Service and camping fees not applicable, reduced hire/stable fees at SEC
    $350 $100.00 Once off joining fee

ASSOCIATE
    Over 18 as at 01/01/11 - Can compete in all EWA Non-Graded Competitions i.e. Eventing Introductory/Preliminary and Dressage Associate Classes and can compete in all Show Horse Competitions
    - Can only vote in discipline committee elections
    - Can only nominate for election to a discipline committee
    $350 $100.00 Once off joining fee

OFFICIAL
    For EWA Accredited Officials Only -Will receive a copy of the EWA annual yearbook ?Collections?
    - Has full voting rights
    - Can nominate for election to a discipline committee or the Board
    $165

RECREATIONAL
    - May access all Equestrian Australia NCAS coaching
    - Will receive all electronic newsletters
    - Cannot register a horse or be a part owner of a registered horse
    $205

CORPORATE
    Company Member
    - Non competitive
    - All voting rights of Senior Membership
    - Can register a horse
    -Ground Service and camping fees not applicable, reduced hire/stable fees at SEC
    $500 $100.00 Once off joining fee

SEC Direct Member - Ground Service and camping fees not applicable, reduced hire/stable fees at SEC $125 WAIVED

19. raindear

raindear Well-known Member

mmm Im excited!! Not #(

20. Shakhaan

Shakhaan Well-known Member

The Rec member allows you to get lessons with NCAS coaches, and waives GSF at the SEC, along with reduced arena hire rates there, and insurance coverage. That's it, as far as I can tell ';'

You will still need Associate membership to do anything that is not Official, whether training tests/jumping, or "unofficial hacking".

So a Rec membership should cover those Adult riders who only ride at their rally days, or any comps run by their club. But if you want to compete at any other comp run by a different club, you'd need Associate membership, is my understanding.