Duns??

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by paintedhoney, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Oh is that the Highland stallion? I LIKE him!!

Cool how he still has quite a distinct dorsal!
    Cheers

Danni

2. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

mmm I like him

thanks Tintara for sharing those pics **)

Cheers
    Lee

p.s what would I get if I crossed a Cremello with him ?

3. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

I suspect he would have been quite a dark perlino had his coat not been diluted by dun as dun characteristics on the true dun are generally the undiluted colour of the base coat in that particular area. I've seen yellow or bay duns with both black and red leg barring - black where they are on the black points and red where they are above the black points. They also have red dorsal stripes and face masks.

This particular colt is out of a black buckskin dun (grulla + cream!) and I think the sire is also a dun (and obviously a cream dilute too :)* ) but the owner is going to be getting him DNA'd for red factor & dun to see if he is homozygous for black and dun to help with her advertising.

To a cremello it would depend on whether or not he is homozygous for black and dun. If he is, then 100% perlino dun would be the result. If he isn't (ie carries only one copy of dun and a copy of red) then you could get cremello, perlino, cremello dun or perlino dun.

Anyone seriously interested in duns should go to the duncentral website because they have some great piccies on there of both true and false dun markings.

4. Lexi

Lexi New Member

My new pony!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  5. paintedhoney

paintedhoney Well-known Member

now this is one very interesting Dun!! I love him!! never seen one quite like this before

6. Tintara

And how about these beautiful girls:

Champagne grullas - champagne and dun on black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sable cream dun - champagne, cream and dun on brown

[​IMG]

Silver and dun on bay

[​IMG]

7. paintedhoney

the first one is unbelievable, thats what i want one of those!!!

8. Kintara

That's interesting how the dorsal stripe kind of tells the story for what the base colour is.

I've got two possible dun foals this year, one out of a buckskin and one out of a taffy. Fingers crossed!! I'd really like to have a dun...
    Cheers

Danni

9. Tintara

If you start saving your pennies now, you can maybe buy a champagne mare – preferably a homozygous classic (ie homozygous black champagne) and then put her to a grulla (preferably one which is homozygous for both black and dun!) and voila, you could breed your own:)*

These horses have all been DNA'd which is how we know for sure what they are and the little bay silver dun, who looks like a palomino with a dorsal stripe!!, has produced bay foals to chestnut stallions so she definitely isn't a chestnut.

Unfortunately they are all in America and very unlikely to ever come on the market so I'm afraid we must continue to drool in vain ......:( There are a few champagnes in Australia now and more are popping up out of the woodwork as owners realise they aren't buckskins or palominos with funny coloured skin :D. Many are appy bred and trace back to an imported amber champagne leopard stallion called Golden Badger (duly registered as buckskin of course :mad: ). The other line of Australian bred champagnes traces back to a mare of unproven parentage who was purchased by an appy breeder probably because she 'looked' like an appy with her mottled skin but we now know that she was actually a champagne and that the colour comes from her and not from the imported buckskin QH stallion that had previously been credited with bringing the colour in as his pedigree is all straightforward cream dilute. We suspect that this particular mare also traces back to Golden Badger as she is purported to have come from an appy stud and we know Golden Badger or some of his progeny were in that general area. A breeder in northern Victoria has also imported an amber QH colt and a sable QH filly so there should eventually be champagnes on the market from that stud as well.

So, thereotically it should be possible to purchase Australian bred champagnes as more of them are bred here so your wish could well become reality, paintedhoney.

Best of luck with your two Kintara; I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

10. Kintara

The first one especially at first look I would assume agouti, so knowing it was tested black and looking at the dark non reddish dorsal makes it a even more cool colour I reckon! I love contrasts!

I've seen pics of the little silver dun before I think. Now one of them would be nice! No Champagnes in my breeds of choice but at least I get to play with dun, cream and silver!

Thanks!! :D

Danni

11. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

that first one is gorgeous
    def stand out in the crowd with that!!

12. paintedhoney

hmmm still contemplating breeding a dun....