Dry persistent cough and snotty nose...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Bon & Ted, May 18, 2009.

1. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Should I be overly concerned?

Jingles has been coughing since Friday and has a bit of a snotty nose. She doesn't seem bothered about it.

I gave her the weekend off as when we rode on Friday night she coughed a fair bit and I almost fell off onto her neck LOL. Sienna has the runny nose but no cough.

I have just been making sure she's nice and warm (not overheating) and feeding her enough (which she gets anyway).

Their paddock is a bit of a dust bowl atm but she's only coughing when she stands around, and have heard her cough in the middle of the night...

I have decided if it hasn't gone by tommorow I'll get the vet out, but just wondering if anyone elses horses have this atm. Could be an allergy or a cold?

Any thoughts etc.

Oh and she hasn't been in contact with other horses, been out anywhere and the closest horses to her (aside from Sienna) are around 300m away.

2. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Diva had similar at the end of last year. She needed a course of antibiotics to get her over it. None of the other horses on the property got it.

3. Mayasmum

Mayasmum Well-known Member

I've copied and pasted this from a thread I wrote in a few weeks ago (with some editing)

Darn coughing, don't get me started!

Maya has had an intermiitent dry cough for maybe 2 months. From what I can rule out now I think its allergy/dust related. She occassionally had a clear nasal discharge, nothing too severe.

If there is any associated nasal discharge with a cough or if your horses have a temperature I would call the vet straight away. That was the advice the vet gave me.

After Maya horse had been coughing intermittently for about 3 weeks I got the vet out and had her airways scoped - they were completely clear, no sign of foreign body or infection - she was put on asthma medication...which didn't work! (I thought the cost reasonable though, about $230 for the consult, scope and meds)

Unfortunately you'll probably have to get the vet just to rule some things out.

My horse is still coughing but not constanatly and is otherwise healthy...I'm taking the 'fingers crossed' approach that she stops and I don't have to take her into the vets for a lungwash...the next step!!! I'm thinking its dust related and that it will improve once the rain comes!!

4. dressagedivaII

dressagedivaII Well-known Member

If the cough doesnt stop, do get the vet out, they will prbably put them on a course of sulfa-b to boost there immune system-if its nothing seriouse;)
    good luck:)

5. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Someone mentioned something to me about bot larvae.

She has bot eggs pretty bad but is up to date with worming, will have a look into that though....

6. Pugsworth

Pugsworth Well-known Member

Hi bon and ted,
    I called the vet out saturday morn as my horse was coughing he had a temperature and turned out to have a respitory infection thankfully not in his lungs but an infection in his throat .had a shot of heavy antibiotics and penecillen every day for five days

best to get him checked out could turn into something bad especially if they have a temp.
    Is your horse eating normally?
    mine stoped eating his hay but would eat his pony cubes

7. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

She's eating fine, good appetite, still quite chirpy etc. She maybe has a little less energy ?? But can't be 100% on that as she is dead quiet ALL the time LOL!!!

Will monitor her tonight and if no improvement then vet will be out tommorow.

Cheers

8. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I suspect there is something going around at the moment.

Shilo had a snotty nose and cough about six weeks ago. She was otherwise her usual chirpy self, so I started giving her two tablespoons of garlic per day and within three or four days she was back to normal. She may have a very good immune system????

I would get the vet if any sign of temp. or no signs of improvements, or if your otherwise worried.

Good luck.:eek:

9. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I took Jingles for a run yesty arvo in her dusty paddock with Sienna infront churning the dirt up and nothing :confused: So here I was thinking it was all good...checked on them before I went to bed and sure enough Jingles was standing there with her head down coughing. And again this morning :confused:

Vet seemed to think (over the phone) it was a dust allergy but this just seems odd, I'm under directions to stop working her (I haven't worked her since Friday) #:)(

Anyway am waiting for a call back from vet to organise a call out this week.

Her feed is soaked so much now it's just a slop, and I've started to wet their hay down also. They were less than impressed this morning but ah well *#)

10. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

hope the vet has some good news

my boy started out with the same thing and he is now at the vets for a few days because the TSB didn't work, haven't gotten blood tests back yet to see what it is.

11. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

righto, vet just came out.

It appears she has had a minor infection, apparantely it is quite common at the moment. Her temp is fine and she did examine her but no inflammation.

Have a course of Bromhexine, leave her off work for another couple of days **boo hiss** :( and back into slow gentle work.......as if we do much more than that anyway LOL

She seems to think Sienna probably has a bit of a cold too because of her runny nose but examined her also, but because she seems alot better than Jing we will leave her for the time being, if she gets worse she'll go on a course of meds also.

I am glad it wasn't an allergy!!!

12. Pugsworth

Pugsworth Well-known Member

thats good news bon and ted