Dressage saddles for the Freisian

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Picup436, May 1, 2013.

1. Picup436

Picup436 Active Member

Well Rhett has finally grown out of his dressage saddle, and the search is now on for a new one. Being Friesian, he's rather round, flat backed, no wither and has a decent sized shoulder.

What dressage saddles are out there that suit these hairy black monsters?

2. Jess Ware

Jess Ware New Member

I wouldn't mind knowing this myself :) I'm on the hunt for our first saddle.

3. Black Ice

Black Ice Well-known Member

Well until Teddy just had a big growth spurt he was fitting in to my lovely Barnsy AVG... was so beautiful to ride in too :-( and was almost perfect for him. But just couldnt get it wide enough, would probably fit my pure Friesian mare but have just put it up for sale to help fund a beautiful treeless dressage saddle I've found.

4. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Have you trialled a Bates Wide dressage? Also fairly compact for those short-backed barrelly horses. Works great for my similarly shaped QH.

5. carla

carla Well-known Member

just gone through this with my friesian x. he has a KN Melody now fits great. I tried all the passiers/schumacher(sp)/kn rhap/kieffer kur. good luck

6. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I have seen the Isabelle used on them with success and a Bates (cannot remember which model).

7. We showed our QH mare in HUS in a German Passier Dressage saddle with a medium gullet. It fitted our QHs perfectly well! It was a beautiful saddle.
    Before she went under saddle she was a State Champion Halter mare, so was big and broad like your boy.

8. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

Sommer dressage saddles are what you need for the short backed and wide. My friend has one for her table topped Lippy mare.

9. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

I love my new bates dressage on Bess - fits her off the rack on the widest gullet and not too wide a twist for me. Shes probably got more of a wither than Rhett though.

Bethy uses a small block innova on Honda who is very round and low withered and she loves it.

After monday slipping a disc again i'm not riding for another week or so you're welcome to try my saddle on him. And i expect that others at our place would be willing to let you try theirs if you brought him over (there's a few Isabel's and beths innova too of course).

10. Picup436

Picup436 Active Member

Thanks Niki, I might just have to take you up on the offer!

11. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I'm just going through this with Saxon. I had the Passier Corona II, which worked pretty well up until about 4 months ago. Major bucking started, getting to the point I couldn't take a step before it was on, rodeo-style.

So, I have gone back to riding in the half breed saddle that I bought after he was broken in, but even that I feel is not fitting that well. Seems really tight on the shoulders. Saxon seems to have enormous shoulders with a pronounced bulge, plus he's wide and short in the back (and I have a big arse!).

I tried the Bates Wide and didn't like it (nor did Sax). I can't stand saddles where the rider seems to be sitting about a foot above the horse's back. I think I prefer something more close contact.

Might try some of the suggestions above.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  12. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Active Member

Try the laser thinline - Jess Blackwell from Equestricare sells them. I have a Morgan who is flat backed, no wither and big shoulders. On the thinline the swallow points are curved to allow for more shoulder movement. It is also super comfy for the rider.

13. samgard

samgard New Member

My warmblood mare isn't a fresian but similar shape. I ride in the KN Concerto and we both love it - bit pricey though, I got mine from eastern states second hand through horse deals.

14. Picup436

Picup436 Active Member

I have a thinline, unfortunately the tree is the wrong shape for him. Love the saddle, it can well and truly go wide enough, but from front to back the tree is just a bit too curved.

We tried the Innova on him this morning, even though its my coach's saddle and fitted to her boy it is a definite possibility, and the thigh blocks even though I don't like them, they weill be great for his owner as they will offer her some confidence and a bit of security. Can only keep our fingers crossed that the saddle fitter agrees!

15. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

I haven't been on stockies for ages but this subject is close to my heart so had to reply.

Baroque horses have a totally different shape back from most other breeds and the saddles available in Australia just don't cut it. I have a Lippizaner with a flat back no wither massive shoulders and hardly any saddle area to play with, it took me months and lots of $$$ to work out that it is ALL about the shape of the tree.

You can widen out out an A framed tree all you like but it is still not going to fit, kn, passier, bates, stubben, prestige all have an A shaped tree and nothing you do to them is going to make them fit. I tried them all.

I believe you need to look for a U shaped tree or hoop tree, closest to this in oz would be the ascot vita mono, then some of the trainers range but better still are the English Windsor, Albion ( who make the saddles for the Spanish riding school) or the German somer.

I went with the sommer and have never looked back, it has a hoop tree that can widen out to 42cm across the gullet, short front gussets, wide channel and scooped up gussets a the back so it does not sit over her last rib. When you put it next to an A framed tree the difference is amazing!!!! Thoroughly recommend this brand.

Hope my experience helps other baroque owners even in some small way. It was such a headache for me at the time.

16. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Linn, sounds like my issue all over again. You are welcome to try my sommer if you like, I think it would be a good choice for your boy.

17. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Valdez, you have described my probs to a T. The Passier hung over the last rib and the shoulder point things on other saddles ive tried are just too, well, pointy,

I would love to have a look at your Sommer. I had a look online after they were mentioned above.

18. Thekwie

Thekwie New Member

Hi Guys,
    I know a lot of people overseas and now here in Australia are using Hidalgo flex-tree saddles on their freisians. You can read about them, google Horse-Connection.
    I think Shirley from Cavallo Nero Freisians rides in one, swears by it.

19. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Kit while he isn't as broad as some of the others but the saddles still like to 'roll' on him if they don't fit well. I have him in a Passier Corona 2 and LOVE it, fits him perfectly and his back has never had a single tight muscle or problem. He is not as broad as the purebreds tho.

20. Black Ice

Black Ice Well-known Member

I actually put a deposit down on a Hidalgo Venice II last week... **)