Dressage prep?

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Mocha, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

I am taking Bear to an official Dressage day.
    How do you prep for dressage? is it the same as hacking?

2. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

kinda similar to hacking!! white saddlecloth, plain bridle and browband, although the chain browbands look real nice!! i think most dressage people tend to steer away from anything with ribbon, major bling etc, and urself, joddies either beige/white/banana, white shirt and tie/stock and a hacking jacket, preferably black or navy, and gloves if youd prefer!! horsey all plaited up, altho some people leave the forlock!! hope this helps

3. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

Thanks for that :D
    Do you have to plait the tail? Because I have NO idea how to :p

4. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

Not if you dont want too! Dressage is more about the skill of the rider and training of the horse for the test, not about what you wear.
    Look up the rules for attire on the efa web site. That will let you know what you can and cant wear and what you can ride the horse in and what you cant!

No double bridles under Medium level and no breastplates etc...

5. Satorii Lodge

Satorii Lodge Well-known Member

no u dont have to plait tail ...and noooo boots and whip has to be shorter than 75 cms or if its efa then no whip with gloves go black if u dont want to draw attn or white or cream if youve got good hands if its efa u must have gloves

actuallly can have breast plate but no rings

6. Golden Biscuit

Golden Biscuit Well-known Member

I can teach you its easy peasy :D:D

7. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

I think you're thinking of eventing dressage Satorii? You can carry a whip in official dressage and it can be up to 120cm (unless you're competing FEI levels at a State champs or international competition where you're not allowed a whip).

You have to wear gloves - it states white preferred in the rule book but black is equally fine!

Breeches or joddies should be white, off white, "light canary" (someone define that!!) or beige so no fancy colours lol.

As said above your horse needs a snaffle bridle with either dropped, caverson, flash or crossed noseband.

My best advice is ... Keep it simple! Use the same bridle and saddle if you can that you use every day (so you and your horse are comfortable on the day). Your saddle cloth doesnt HAVE to be white but everyone's usually is - a dressage type one (ie. straight part at front - not jumping rounded) is best but not essential. Do as neat a plaits as possible but don't fuss too much over them - you are not marked on presentation. Make sure your horse is trimmed and clean but make up etc. isnt needed. Try riding in all your gear (ie. jacket, shirt etc.) before the competition so you know you're comfy in it.

Also, you can't have boots on your horse during a test (can for warm up).

All info is in Section 2 of the EFA Dressage Rules (go efa website -> rules, regs and forms -> dressage -> 2008 rules) and I strongly suggest you have a read of the whole book if you can as it's very informative especially on the paces and movements parts at the end **) .

Good luck!

esy

8. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

Thanks so much guys!

Is this ok, but obviously plaited, me in a jacket and tie etc?
    I'm doing the 'pony club' section of the show...
    [​IMG]

9. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

oh I hope his mane grows a bit :(

10. Neighlands

Neighlands Well-known Member

When I was a kid I used to have a mini arena in the garden - letters were plant pots or patio chairs.
    I then used to trot and canter and circle the tests while making neighing noises in my head - Derrrr !

Sorry thats of no use whatsoever - just thought i'd share :p

11. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

that looks fine as long as your not doing the fancy fancy stuff where an numnah is better i think

12. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

I didn't think you used numnah's in dressage?

13. chick_with_a_chainsaw

hmm i dunno i just assumed you would as it shows off the horse more. hmm maybe not. better check with nannygoat she will know

14. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

No you don't use numnahs in dressage, you can use them over your saddle blanket for added padding :)

15. chick_with_a_chainsaw

wow learn something new everyday

16. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

You are allowed to use a numnar (you mean fitted fleece ones?) - I couldn't find anything in the rules to the contrary - they state you can have one which is saddle shaped and any colour. They're just not used all that often.

17. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

I know there is no rules against them, I have just never seen them used other then with a white saddle blanket under.

18. pso

pso Gold Member

A few interesting understandings of the rules here....;)
    When in doubt...look at the rules..Esy posted where to find them...**)

Your gear looks fine mocha...just add some plaits, a jacket, dark coloured helmet (if you have one) and a hairnet...
    Noseband looks a bit low, but thats personal choice...wont get marked down for it!:p

Also, saddleblanket tip...try and get a dressage style one, not a jumping one....And position it so that there is only 1-2" in front of the saddle.... too much white infront of the saddle just makes them look on the forehand...esp with the long backed TB's...:))

19. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

Thanks for that.
    My noseband does look a bit low, I never noticed, oops.
    And I will try and get a propper SB. Depends if I can afford it in time. :)

20. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

Here in QLD we shave the tail hacking style rather than plaiting. Dressage is alot more relaxed than hacking. It is on the performance not the looks.

Was pencilling recently and the judge said it is so nice to see a smile :) remember to breathe and have fun