Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Golden Biscuit, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Golden Biscuit

Golden Biscuit Well-known Member

I havent seen many threads on this so thought it might be a useful one to start up this time of year, as i know alot of people or new owners can be a bit unsure on when, how why to drench and its importancy. So everyone add your opionions and knowledge please! :D :))
  2. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

IMO i prefer a vet do it - when i was a kid it was very common to have ur farrier do it.

i guess it depends on where you live & why you do it. i drenched my horse shortly after i got him - i had no idea about his diet or where he came from, so i was just covering my backside. plus, he's agisted in wanneroo which is basically sand & the horses hoover. i know ppl who drench every 6months in wanneroo because of the nature of the ground. the grass is on sand too & it gets into everything. he gets A LOT of hay now & i know ppl prefer ad lib hay - but horses can still colic even with that option.

some ppl only drench when the horse shows colicky symptoms. idk.

i don't REALLY make a habit of drenching on a regular basis tho.
  3. Golden Biscuit

Golden Biscuit Well-known Member

I totally agree with the vet doing it, thats interesting Blitzen, were in a similar situation to you, our paddocks go to black sand in summer and the boys always have a hay roll, but they still pick, as horses will lol, i have been told to drench annualy but arent too sure so any advice would be much appreciated! Thought id ask cos its summer now and we've owned Bickie for 10 months Yay :D :)*
  4. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

i have never drenched any of my horses and have never had an issue with colic,i feed phsyllum husks once a month,that picks up any sand or rocks in their gut,my neighbour religiously drenched her WB and clydie every six months(and used to frown on me for not doing it) for years,in the end both her horses died of sand colic a few months apart?so who knows what works?
  5. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

ohhh thats not nice about the two horses dying...yuk!

I havent drenched my horse in over a year and a half.....What the? i hear you say....

He also gets fed husks...but the amount you are feeding should not be once a month. It should be approx 400gms over a three to four day period every three months...and thats from the vet! :)*

Other than that, i dont let my horse eat his hay in the dirt (some people do I have seen it) and i feed heaps of hay, which cleans the tum tum out and after I have rinsed sweat off after every ride (yes every ride) he goes and rolls and that will also dis lodge any sand caught in the tum tum....
  6. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

I read somewhere that drenching can rob the stomach of the good bacteria so the horse should be given extra mineral supplements after :confused: . Could be a good question for Caroline @)
  7. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I get my vet to drench straight after coming off the paddock following a spell, otherwise after the spring flush. I don't feed psyllium husk or anything else, just ad lib oaten hay. I always get them drenched and wormed after a spell, religiously, and/or after the spring flush when the sand can be a problem with grazing. I tend to employ good preventative methods rather than rely on drenching, ie minimal sand in paddocks, ad lib hay, feeding on rubber mats so no accidental intake.
  8. sss

sss New Member

Thanks for starting this thread - Originally from the Uk where sand colic is fairly rare and normally from drinking from streams and ingesting sand that way. I have wondered about the for and agaisnt arguments for drenching.

I read on with intrest- Thanks

Ps As well as flushing out "good bactrica " when drenching do the horses ever have problems with the tub scratching them internally?
  9. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

I've had it happen..but the tube only scratches in the nose area.

I drench my horses only when needed..eg;- when sick / dehydrated or a worming program is not working..and only by a Vet these days.

There is a few old timers..Horsemen.. around who really know what they're doing one lives in Hazelmere I think.

10. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

I do the same with preventative methods, so far so good. For those who feed psyllium husks, how effective have you found it? All the case studies I've read on it show it's not proven to be effective as a colic prevention
  11. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

*citygirl touches wood for JR* **) ..I've only had one with sand colic..thats when he came back from spell.{ in 30+ years } W.V attended him, I spent the whole night every hour putting him on a float-going for a drive around the block..cos floats gave this boy the s**ts lol and it worked, W.V was back in the morning with the thumps up **)

12. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

same.and all my yard have been sand
  13. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

There was a long and heated debate on this topic last year some time. It seems everyone has a different opinion / experience regarding psyllium vs drenching vs hay vs doing nothing. Horses are different, environments are different and some are more susceptable than others. My advice is speak to your vet and follow whatever they suggest as they are the ones you will be ringing if the horse gets sick.
  14. Karijini

Karijini Well-known Member

What an interesting thread, good post! I'm looking forward to reading what other Stockies have to say about this, especially those agisting in Wanneroo.

My horse has had colic twice in the time I have owned him. Obviously being a horse owner, this was a great concern to me so I did a little research into colic and various remedies. I found there is no actual proof that psyllium husk actually assists in moving sand and preventing colic. Drenching can be effective, but a horse that may have a large amount of sand in their gut will not always benefit as the oil will pick up the top layer, and then slide over the rest once coated.

I believe that some horses are prone to it, and some aren't. Prevention is better than cure so I make sure my horse always has access to clean water and feed plenty of hay to keep the gut moving. I once used a 'bushmans' recipe as a preventative which I know a lot of Stockies have used and interestingly found it to be effective in removing sand. I also feed my horse down low on the ground out of feed bins sitting on rubber mats.

Having said that, my horse is agisted in the Wanneroo area which essentially is a sand pit. Although he is on a grassed paddock all day, I drench every 6 months to be safe.
  15. 3ponies

3ponies Well-known Member

I have not drenched, drenched yearly - but at the moment it seems my big fellow is becoming succeptable (sp?) to sand colic so I am drenching him 6 monthly. I have had a couple of scares so am playing it safe. Oh - and they have adlib hay

I only use a vet to drench, and always give them a dose of Rebound after drenching (and worming) to restore gut bacteria.
  16. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

I've had one vet agree with this, and another disagree with it. Both were horse vets. One advocates annual or biannual drenching, and the other advocates a psyllium husk program over 6 days every 3 months. (Care to toss a coin???? ;) )

We must be twins :) :) What's the 'bushmans' recipe??

I'm north of Toodyay, not heavy sand, but I still tend to drench at least once a year and do psyllium at other times (depending on which way the coin lands....). I think it's called "hedging your bets"!!
  17. Araluen Elton

Araluen Elton New Member

This is a good thread! I too am trying to decide to drench or not, can it cause harm or is it more good than not? Its good that everyone has different experiences and opinions :)
  18. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

My vet actually recommends once a month for a week:)* So I guess it also depends on the vet:) My ponies also get lots of hay.
  19. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

hey karijini, what's the bushman's recipe??? (btw, we are neighbours! i was informed the other day)

i actually had a discussion about this today with a fellow agistee. my point was that horses are different, that there's a whole load of different preventative measures for sand colic etc etc & ppl do what they will.

and she swears black & blue that psyllium husk is the best preventative since sliced bread.

i have a friend who swore by Sweetbulk. i tend to agree with the Ad Lib Hay party, but i have also done the psyllium husk routine.

20. Feuer

Feuer Guest

I have a mare that used to colic twice a year.....used to.......no longer it seems.

I dont feed Sweetbulk...I used to, but she still colicked on this.

I dont feed psyllium husks anymore...used to....didnt seem to work.

She would get drenched at least once a year, and spend the next week or so in agony coz her tummy hurt.

Now I have discovered a colic remedy recipe...it is also a preventative.......and given eveyr 6 months. Her coat is healthier, she looks happier, not such a grumpy mare. The farrier remarked what a pleasure she was to do lately, as she was in a good mood. The remedy is also said to help with ulcers....and by the looks of my 2 horses, theya re looking wonderful from it.

Not hard to administer and dont need a vet...very simple ingredients.

John O'Leary (horseproblems.com.au)has the recipe, and this is where I got it from...wonderful stuff. :)