Draw Reins

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Teddie1980, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Snippit32

Snippit32 Well-known Member

Can I have a teenage slave? Mines only six and she's already going on strike!:mad: Something about no wages lol.

Great thread by the way**) Madcow your post about your poor Nanna, cracked me up *#)

2. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Actually, I lie... teenage slave gets paid $10 a day, plus gets to use one of my horses for fortnightly lessons so she isn't really a slave :p She lives in the housing estate near us so it is a good way for her to earn extra pocket money and for me not to have to feed the horses in the dark.

3. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

any teenage slaves wanna go put rugs on my ponies? i wasnt supposed to go home tonight but guess i have to now...

4. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

Its now pouring outside. Don't forget to turn those sprinklers off ....

5. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

is it cold? what rugs for outside horsies?

6. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Out here where I judge, in NSW, there is no such thing as official and unnofficial in the hack rings. You go in against all and sundry. We do have Novice hack classes and classes for those who have not won a ribbon, but they all come under the same judges.
    As for the baby oil, you dont put enough on a horse to burn him, even if he is in the sun.
    Actually, a little is rubbed on the hands, then the hands are rubbed around the horses eyes and on the muzzle, which deepen the colour and gives a sheen to it.
    A horse with a black muzzle wont burn anyway and if you do have a baldy faced horse with the white muzzle, it is a good idea to put zinc cream on the white area.

7. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

Thanks Widgelli. I did not recall you judging over here in the Official Hack rings

Yes Times has changed over the years in all Equine Sports. It is very interesting the difference in classes from East V's West. However being West there are a lot more shows. And on that topic how cheap are there entrys. A couple $ per class at Ag shows etc. You pay for only the classes you enter.

8. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I do the same widgelli, i wash and thats it nothing artificial on the coat i clip socks, bridle path, muzzle, occassionaly ears, blacken the feet and put clear on his muzzle and around the eyes, oh and plait.
    I also clip down his dock on the sides. Easy simple and he has placed first in best presented every show i have been to so i'm happy....
    A good time for another show off piccy lol in this photo the ears aren't clipped and theres no clear on his face....and i do not touch him with balck make up yuk
    View attachment 577
    I love this photo:D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  9. finitey

finitey Well-known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG I don't think I have laughed so much in all my life. Madcow, you are a cack. Just spent the last 10min reading all the posts after mine this morning. Amazing what happens in a day, and all I was doing was prepping my boy for the DR hack.

Well....I must confess I have done bad.....my horse has semi-clipped ears!!! And even worse, his whiskers are almost GONE. Woopsey :)

At the end of the day every equestrian disipline has different levels of "recommended" presentation. And if you are going to pour heaps of money into competing, training, lessons ec you are quite sensibly wanting to achieve the best result possible - NOTHING wrong with that. Now for disiplines like hacking, presentation is of a higher priority than dressage or showjumping etc, sorry guys but it is a BEAUTY pagent to some degree. And in hacking something like clipped ears, muzzle, body clip, tasteful make-up can quite possibly give you a step up from someone else, especially if workouts are too close to call. Now taking the time to present your horse in this manner is definitely NOT required but personally I take the time to do it, especially if I was ever to compete officially in hacking. I like my boy to look his best!! And I also like those blue best presented ribbons I keep accumulating LOL

No just a pity about the hairy fur-ball I will be presenting tomorrow....LOL

10. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

LOL Finety.........tis been a good debate & very entertaining today.

You know how you chase tose blue ribbons that you work so hard for. I mean all that work preparing your boy for a show.....I do know how hard it is as I have done it for breed classes etc .........anyway ALL that work for a blue ribbon !!

Donna does none of that.........yeah she washes her pony, cleans her gear on occasion, tries to turn up respectable......which is a bit debatable for her etc. but at the end of the day.........she loves SJ for the money LMAO

Yeah she could hack or do dressage or ODE's..........in fact she has done that & yeah its nice to get a ribbon, but hell its alot more rewarding getting the cash.

Donna & Roger went to Gero last Sept..........they won enough money to pay all their noms, pay all the fuel, they stayed with people up there & she still came home with $140 & we live in Pemberton so thats 5 hours in the truck south of Perth.

Just since she has had aircraft ( 3 months) she has won around 1k in prize money, 2 rugs & $510 in horse gear...........you just dont get that in hacking.

So you put s@@t loads more work in getting your horse ready & if you do real well you get a blue ribbon......we still get the blue ribbon & the cash LMAO.....if I am going to support my daughter in an equestrian pursuit I am glad she has chosen one that actually hands over the cash LOL

Now I have had a couple of glasses of wine & thought I better clarify............the above comments are tongue in cheek...........I sound so up myself..........but wasn't mean't to be.....just having a stir lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  11. finitey

finitey Well-known Member

LOL bugger definitely picked the wrong disipline, is a pity I am S@@T sacred of jumping the things your daughter goes over, sure gimme an 18inch cavalletti thats my limit! (oh and ONLY at home too, what a woose I am!)

HAHA I knows its all completely rediculous at the end of the day, its a satin ribbon worth less than it cost me for a bottle of water at the show. It makes no sense from a $$ POV. Have had this convo many a time with my partner, will NOT be showing him how much jumpers can make he'll be out there will a lunge whip getting old bobs and I to jump HAHA.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  12. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Where is Hoolie, he needs a talking too, we are no longer hackies we are showjumpers now! hehe.

13. KC Quarter Horses

Me too Finitey.........I had a few lessons just so I could ride with Donna......get her to tell you the storys of me shitting myself over 35cm LMAO... Oh my God, Oh my God .....gasp, pray.....no I Can't do it

Hell I felt proud of myself when I jumped a 60cm course lol

I am actually more nervous then Donna at events .........its actually better for her when I DON"T attend LOL

I had to do something though......my mare would follow Donnas horse out in the bush & those logs were bigger than my comfort zone LOL

14. Ltd Edition Madcow

Ltd Edition Madcow Well-known Member

Hmmm...... Show Jumping:}

Reasons for:

1. Win Money:)
    2. Chance that some of the male riders arn't gay
    3. Don't have to plait or even wash horse

Reasons Against:

1. Showjumping wings and poles hurt when you get thrown into them.
    2. Current mount battles to stay on feet coming out of stable in morning.
    3. Extra height in air means extra distance to fall to ground= extra hurty
    4. Madcow is a complete Chicken and trot poles look bit scarey.
    5. Quite a few of the male riders are gay anyway just waste more time sorting thru them (hack/dressage know their gay so don't waste time)

Hmmmmm...as much as I like $ I think I'll stick with the walk,trot and canter in circles discipline?:D

15. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Hey Madcow and Finitey, come to my place... I will get you jumping, just ask OldHack :D

Truth be told I mainly showjump... but not enough to win $1000 in 3 months!! Plus my boy isn't quite ready for D grade yet, mainly because he hasn't been ridden in the last month!!!

When I do hack/breed my presentation actually depends on my horse. Ears are not fully clipped out on any of them, however if I have a horse who doesn't like their ears being neatened I will take more out so I can do it less often. I only shave the muzzles of 2 of my horses: my yearling as she has a pink nose an whiskers make her look untidy as they are very obvious, and my pony as he has a bit of a boofy head and getting rid of the whiskers make it look more refined. I only use clear makeup except on my pony who gets a bit of highlighting on his face with black chalk. I do use raven oil on my horses' legs (except for my palominos) and I do chalk white markings.

And I refuse to clip out my yearling for the show this weekend, even though she probably should be, as she gets to be a paddock grot until the Royal after this one so I don't see the point :D

I have ridden in draw reins, but not very often. I was actually recommended that I school my showjumper in them on the flat by a well known instructor as he can run through his downwards transitions and hollow out a bit in the upwards ones. However, I don't do it very much or for very long periods of time (in fact I haven't worked him in them for over a year!)... and he is a very forward boy so there is no concerns about him not working from behind :D

have ridden one hack who I think was extensively schooled in them (with a previous owner as I know the person who had him at the time didn't) as he kept trying to touch his chest with his nose even with minimal/no contact! He was very hard to ride as if you tried to push him forward into the contact (which he didn't want to hold) he would just start rushing :( Weirdly enough I did manage to get champion rider and reserve champion hack at the EFA Winter Gala with him a few years ago (3rd time I had ridden him) but I disliked it as I had to work him in for over an hour before going in (used to jumping on and going into the ring with 5 minutes warmup!). Obviously he looked better than he felt though :D Scarily, he had been bought with the impression that he was schooling at Advanced dressage level!

16. Mod 5

Mod 5 Moderator

OK - NOW mods are watching!
    I have seen a few threads that have started to upset some people... also some threads that are being just plain silly and trying to get reactions!
    Lets keep it on track people....

17. Ltd Edition Madcow

Mirawee - we'll have to get that story from oldhack!:)

When you come to visit my foals I'll let you have a ride of the hack. You can show me how this SJ is done (I'll just watch by the way:eek: )

I have Show Jumping equipment which I've never even used! LOL:D

When I was thinking of showing my foals I decided that I wouldn't clip anything at all. I'm still thinking about how to show them as yearlings for the Royal.I'm going to leave mine as paddock grots all year til about 8 weeks before. Gives me a chance to go and buy some cute filly slips as well:)

18. KC Quarter Horses

AWE Mod 5..........I actually think this thread has been very entertaining & I would seriously doubt if anyone got upset by it as it has been informative but humorous.
    Considering I have been stuck doing the end of quarter accounts ( damn BAS) plus finishing off my end of season accounts, its been a great relief to break away from it throughout the day & get a good laugh off this thread.
    I think we have all been behaving........in a fashion LOL

19. Ltd Edition Madcow

Same here KC

(except the BAS bit which I get our accountant to do cos it's too hard:( )

Think (actually know) I was responsible for 'silly' posts, sorry.

I'll be good now:)

20. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Oh i havent missed much... no one chucked a poopy over anything? :D

I just got back from horseland, got myself a twisted wire bit for Jai, sidereins, gonna tie his head down & lunge him, build him up ya know. :p

Lol, not.... just brought new halters & leads!