Dorsal stripes

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by mineees, Oct 30, 2009.

1. mineees

mineees Gold Member

just read a thread on a new foal and there was a post asking for a pik of the dorsal stripe,to see what it looks like on a new born dun.Just asking is there a difference to what a dorsal stripe looks like on a dun and what one looks like on a bay ect that isnt a dun(as i know some have them but they arnt actually a dun) I thought Blossom was a bucky when she was born,even tho she had a stripe,it was very fine.

2. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Yeh foals are often born with a counter shaded dorsal, true duns are usually much more distinctive. I'd love to see the Highland foal's dorsal stripe!

3. torridonequine

torridonequine Active Member

dorsal stripe

I'll take a pic tomorrow of the highland colts stripe because he is light in colour it is very distinctive . My andalusian stallion produces a dorsal stripe in nearly all of his foals which usually do remain in the coloured ones the greys fade out . I also have a yearling filly who is going to be a grey dun she still has a very prominent dorsal stripe will try to get pics of both for you .

4. mineees

mineees Gold Member

this is blossoms stripe at a few hours old...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and at 2yrs old...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mineees

mineees Gold Member

that would be great...:))

6. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Gosh that is a pale one for a dun, a lot more obvious when older though even if still quite fine.

7. Dakotakdq

Dakotakdq New Member

wow that is light for a true dun.

does she have any other dun factor?

8. mineees

mineees Gold Member

she does have other factors,will post piks and also post piks of dad...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mineees

mineees Gold Member

10. mineees

mineees Gold Member

and dad...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

I asked Torridon to post a photo of the dorsal stripe on her foal because I thought it would be very interesting for others to see the difference between countershading and true dorsals on new born foals. I get to see plenty of them doing registrations so I know what they look like :D.

Minee’s filly may also have cream (you had that test done yet Toni!!) which would lighten her off.

12. mineees

mineees Gold Member

all the paper work is waiting to send of,just waiting on a sample to be sent from our colts mum.we are doing felix
    (our gelding) too. and im interested to see other stripes.cause blossoms is really thin compered to oakies.is it easy to tell with a foal if their dorsal stripe is not real?:)

13. Mouse

Mouse Well-known Member

Well here are some pics for you. These were taken at a day old. Her dam is a bay and I thought the sire was also. But people tell me she is a buckskin.

What are peoples thoughts?

Here is her dorsal stripe
    [​IMG]

And she also has shading over the wither and darker hair around the eyes
    [​IMG]

14. Tintara

Look forward to seeing the results; should be interesting.

99.9% of the time, YES. A true dorsal (and other true dun factors as well) is generally the undiluted shade of the base coat in the area in which they are located ie a yellow or bay dun often has a reddish dorsal stripe as that is the undiluted colour of the hair along their spine.

In some cases in newborns a false dorsal can be almost as sharply defined in appearance as a true dorsal but it is usually more blackish in appearance and looks more like a sooty overlay in comparison to the true dorsal.

And of course if neither parent is a true dun that makes it even easier to tell.

15. Tintara

Mouse, an excellent example of a very sharply defined false dorsal in a newborn that I just mentioned; you can see how it is black rather than red. If she was a true dun I would have expected to see a muted or faded (diluted) coat colour (duns are a dilute after all!) with the dorsal in the same red/brown colour as her coat is now (Minee's little bloke is an excellent example of this muted coat colour). Also, the hairs at the top of her tail (guard hairs) would be the same colour as her coat - see how Minee's little fellow has the pale red hairs at the top of his tail that are the same colour as his coat yet in the side on shot you can see that the rest of his tail is a normal chestnut red.

I would also say she's bay not buckskin. **)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  16. mineees

mineees Gold Member

this is a really old thread but kiraspark asked for results...Well Blossom is a Buckskin Dun so her little dorsal stripe was real. and since this thread we have bred another Buckskin Dun who looks totally different to Blossom in colour.And a Red Dun, Silver Dun, Palomino Dun,and quite a few buckskins.One bucky with a false dorsal stripe. And we think a black buckskin dun.she hasnt been tested yet,all the others have been tested...:)

17. mineees

mineees Gold Member

false dorsal stripe...

[​IMG]

Buckskin Dun...

[​IMG]

palomino dun...

[​IMG]

bay dun...

[​IMG]

18. mineees

mineees Gold Member

buckskin dun...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

silver dun...

[​IMG]

and our other silver dun...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Wow, so Blossom did turn out to be a buckskin dun! How interesting **)
    Thanks for all those pictures, I find it really fascinating how different they all look and with false or actual dorsal stripes......very interesting.
    Thanks Minees for updating us! :))

20. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

Do plain buckskins develop dorsal stripes?