Dont you just love those moments......

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by beccy, Feb 19, 2003.

1. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

Im soooo excited and happy. On saturday I was up at the farm, helping my youngest sister with her horse minty as I have been most of the summer, and suddenly everything must have clicked. I no-longer recognised minty,
    He went from little pony ploddy strides, to big large horsey strides, and his frame went uphill and conformation seem to change from long back to short compact, and a big rocking horse canter.....
    before i forget to mention half the pony club were out the back training across the x-country course ready for the tetrathalon. mabey minty was just showing off.

i just love those moments

-bec-

2. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

A Minty Moment!!!! Thats fantastic Beccy. Your right there's nothing quite like those times. When it happens for a student its like opening a door to a really big corridoor that can take you anywhere you want to go (this sounds really strange I know) and when your riding you really feel like you and the horse can go anywhere and do any thing. I get like that sometimes with the YDB and it feels like he's allready Grand Prix!!! In our dreams!!!

I'm sure she wasn't just showing off- it was a combination of efforts of yours, hers and your sisters!!

Well done!

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

well done. I understand that 1 hundred percent. When I 1st got Arnie he couldn't canter then one day got on him and POOF! we cantered! mind you for like 2sec cuz I bursted out with joy...happens all the time now...

~§Arnie§~

4. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

I know exactly what you mean Beccy.
    I had been trying to teach a lass the importance of useing her seat and legs for ages . I had to leave the district not long after this , so didn't see this lass for a couple of years.
    A fair while after I had left this area, I was asked to judge the ponies at a breed show , and this lass was there with her cousin, and appeared in her rider class . You could have knocked me over with a feather when she won the class , and when I put the ribbon on her, she said to me that in the last school that I had done with her in it ,what I had been trying to teach her for so long finally clicked , and now she could get her horses to work properly.
    I was really stoked, as this lass was not well off, was on the chubby side , and really did it tough. Since she had learned this technique, she was being offered horses to ride , so was moving up the ladder.

Jo

5. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

Sorry, but i couldnt resist telling you all. Minty had another "Minty Moment" on the weekend (it has been nearly a month and a bit). my poor non horsey sie had to put up with me for half an hour giving him an ear bashing all the way home lol

Minty just worked stunning with soo much spring in his step, and tail swishing the whole time. I gave my sister a similar lesson to last time, without all the pony club going over the x-country course (tet has finished for the year). And what is more satisfying is he absolutely loves it. (i dont know if it is the showing off, or the attention, or the working)

-bec-

6. Kateena

Kateena Active Member

Keep it up Beccy, sounds like your boy is now learning and 'clicking' in leaps and bounds - two weeks for the next moment (I bet!!)

7. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

Sensational Beccy...... Minty Moment the Second!!!
    Don't ya just love it when you tell your non horsey other half about all the exicting moments and they just look at you like youv'e lost your marbles!!!! I sometimes have to ring a friend when I have Minty Moments because its just lost on my NHH!!!!

Well done!!

8. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

lol

yeah he looked at me bizarly then pointed out the window.. "look, a 3/4 martigal 1/2 trakina" followed by "its doing pwafee"

-bec-