dog + electric fence question

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by GoWelshCobs, Jul 28, 2011.

1. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

ok this might seem like a weird question,

but can being zapped by a electric fence hurt/kill a dog.

we are wanting to put up a fence to stop the rotti getting into places he shouldnt but i am worried about my other dog a mini Dachshund

rotti is 42kg and daxi 4kg

i have a solar unit/battery that puts out

output voltage 8.0+-1.5kv
    discharge energy 0.1 joules
    pannel out put 1.3watts

supply voltage with battery is 6v , 4.5ah

now would this be safe as i dont want a BBQ'd Sausage dog.
  2. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

of course it hurts - thats the whole point!
    but kill? not that ive seen and ive had dogs and electric fences all my life.
  3. wheatbeltanimalrescue

wheatbeltanimalrescue Well-known Member

Sounds about the same as my solar unit - should be perfectly safe ;)
    Only reason an electric zap could cause an issue for the dog is if the dog had an underlying heart condition :}
  4. Celestial Park

Celestial Park Active Member

We have an 85kg Mastiffs down to the cats and all of them have had a zap from the fence and learnt their lesson**) And it's a BIG unit to keep my stallion safe!
    No it hasn't killed any of my animals, they have had a few hits over the years and they are all respectful of fences now.
    We have taken out all the ringlock and the internal fences are plain wire for horses safety with a hot wire and earth wire close by so that a full zap is delivered.
    Everyone laughs at me when I put the dogs in the paddocks when people come over saying "BUT they can get out"....But me and the dogs know there is an electric fence and DONT TOUCH FENCES THEM COS THEY BITE!!!!!!!!!!!
    My big Mastiff is that tortured by fences that zap him he wont go under or near any fence no matter where he for me:))
  5. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Our dogs have always had altercations with the electric fence and never had any harm other than a boot from it.

My husband even had ours set onto 'water buffulo' strength once and my silky terrier touched it and he got thrown back and survived . Apparently my husband said that the 'water buffulo' setting was the only thing that would keep my old appy off the fence:D.
  6. caitie

caitie Well-known Member

My collie has touched the fence scared the crap out of her but never gone back through again, i would think it should be fine **)
  7. GoWelshCobs

phew, was worried i might have a crispy sausage on my hands lol, so if we set it on low we should be right.

i think the little ones will only touch it once,

boof head, well hmmm he wont know what hit him he is a bit spesh will prob take a couple of boots to even realise it was the fence.

lol i know it will hurt especially as they will hit it wet nose first haha. i just dont want to permanatly hurt her.

she is only 2 and very fit n healthy( no fat snagga's at my place)
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  8. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

If this is a cure for roaming dogs, be warned it doesn't always work. My folks had their entire 12 acre property boundary electrified with a double wire at dog level. The two dogs, an English mastiff and a big ridgeback, just crawled through the wire yelping and screaming. Didn't stop them. When the ridgeback was finally hit by a car, he crawled back through the fence to die in the driveway. Maybe a cyclone mesh type fence as well as the hotwires would give a better barrier for a 'special' boofheaded Rotty.
  9. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

I have installed the innotek containment system and love it. My dogs respect it and I can leave them out and know that they wont wander. For 1 unit/collar + some wire, it was $219 from Mandurah stock feeds.
  10. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Electric fences electrify at a pulsing rate.

SO - yes - its would hurt like hell...but as it pulsesm it usually isnt sustained long enough to kill.

This is to prevent livestock death is they by chane become entangle in it.

It doesnt kill chicken if they get stuck....its just stuns them for a bit. Makes them very quiet and they need cuddles for 10 mins - and then they are as right as rain! ;)

ETA - we have only had one get stuck before, and it was beacause it got a fright and flew into the fence ;)

As well as Cats, dogs - large, medium, small tiny and toy size have all been zapped here by ignorance, humans (regularily) and small children.
  11. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

We have the week old goat kids go out in the big wide world and guarantee they head straight for that bottom wire!! Yep it hurts like crap I imagine but they grow up and nevver touch it again!!

I 'could' put it on half power I suppose but meh - nope. life lessons here lol

Anyone who says goats are hard to keep in never did the fence right.....

and ohhh I just lurvve dacchies!!
  12. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Ahhh many a fond memory involving electric fences.

Worst thing is when the wire is above the height of the dog's head but the dog goes under with their tail in the air......they don't realise it's the fence that got them :eek:
  13. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

You could set the hot wire at a height that both dogs would touch if they went to leave the area, but set the earth wire above the hot wire so that only the big dog gets to touch the hot and the earth at the same time. That way the big dog will get a stronger kick and the sausage doggie will get a smaller kick.

Can we have pics of the hot dog please. Used to have one as a kid...miss him!
  14. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

use ours all the time no dead dogs yet :D
    cheers shyloh :}
  15. GoWelshCobs

the dogs are contained within a back yard so wil lnot be to contain.

i have a "feature" garden and want to stop them pooping in there, its way tooo hard to pick poo out or gravel

will see if i can get someoene to put pics up for me
  16. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

I got one of those dog containment units for my dog a few months ago, worked well for a few weeks then dog decided it didnt hurt enough for him to stay away - idiot gets out then too scared to get back in...

Anyway, according to the little book that came with it, it is animal cruelty to "electric shock" (zap) your dog, and what the containment units do is "stimulate"... I have touched that collar when it goes off and sure felt like a zap to me! But anyway... some kind of PC issue I am sure...