Does anyone have photos of sooty Buckskin or smoky black foals?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by nklpark, Oct 24, 2009.

1. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

Hi just wondering if someone has some photos they can share my bay mare has a dilute foal but not sure what colour the foal is?? sire palomino ...probability says its a buckskin and i hope it is......kind of more sooty gray mouse colour with shadow marking down the back but not a dun

2. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

This is my boy as a baby - he is now a brown buckskin.
    [​IMG]

his breeder called him smokey black; I haven't had him tested as i see no need

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. samm

samm Gold Member

Look for the thread in breeding of Zoo's mini foal.It was colour tested at smokey black.
    Foal pics are there.

4. samm

samm Gold Member

5. Pink Sapphire

Pink Sapphire Well-known Member

These are 3 of my foals. All are smokey blacks (black buckskin)

Bella (she was a real chocolate colour) she was very obvious as a smokey at birth
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chewy, we only found out 2 days ago he was a smokey and not black through colour testing :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bam (is Bellas half brother, their dad is a double dilute)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  6. Pink Sapphire

Pink Sapphire Well-known Member

Thought id add apart from chewys 2nd photo those pics were taken within the first 3 days of being born :)

Bella the first foal had a very noticable (dark) stripe down her back but was just countershading as she had no dun parents.

7. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Not colour tested but believe he is Smokey Black (Black Bucky).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sire is Black (has a Buckskin parent so obviously he's more than just Black LOL) & dam is Black Pinto (no Dilute parents).
    Everyone said sire isn't Dilute BUT he's produced 1 definite Dilute (Buckskin - full brother to above gelding) & i believe also a Palomino out of a Chestnut Pinto mare (well dates work out right plus the fact the apparant barran mare was paddocked with the sire of the gelding pictured).

Full brother (sadly deceased).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
  8. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
  9. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

Ok she's more like Remaani's foal in the 6th & 7th photos but with jet black mane and tail ....so does that make her sooty buckskin??

and what colour might she be as she gets older??

more photo's pleeeeeeease Remaani??

10. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Blacks with the cream gene (smokey blacks or also called black buckskins) can be tricky sometimes, as technically cream doesn't effect black. So sometimes it can't be seen at all and sometimes they do look kind of chocolately when mature. I like the creamy insides of ears as babies as an indicator but even that isn't a sure thing. I've seen really pale creamy/greyish foal colour test as simply black and proper looking black foals test as smokey black *#) Only colour testing is for sure!
    Cheers

Danni

11. mineees

mineees Gold Member

some piks of our black buckies...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Nannoo

Nannoo Well-known Member

Black Dunn... aka Grulla (Grullo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grullo - pronounced (grew-yo)
    Grulla - pronounced (grew-ya)

Either of the terms are correct in describing the color. The color is the diluted form of black with dun factor.

In other words the black color is modified by the dun gene.

"Grulla" is the Spanish word for a gray crane which is a slate-gray colored bird.

They are characterised by the following primitive markings:

Dorsal Stripe
    Ear Tips, Edging, & Barring
    Shoulder Stripe, Shadowing and/or Transverse Stripe
    Leg Barring
    Face Masking
    Mane and Tail Guard Hairs

* Note - our boy in these photos is rather light, and recently with his summer coat coming through has begun to get considerably darker. *

13. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

As you can see by some of these photos, DNA is often the only way to tell :D unless they have a known double cream dilute parent. If they are going to be registered and shown as buckskins then I believe it is doubly important to have the 'scientific evidence' as the ringside is full of doubters ;). And of course for breeding stock it goes without saying that their correct genetic colour should be recorded on their papers.

14. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Andhi is your boy Tally by or out of a double dilute parent ?

15. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

He sure is - has a cremello QH sire.