Do you know why you feed what you feed to your horse?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Deb2, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Showjumpkid4eva:

Deb2: It does not really matter what her height is, all horses need feeding accurately.

Also, you mention in a previous post that you cant pony her out because your riding horse is in 'competition work' and therefore schooled 90% of the time. Can I just suggest that you might be overdoing it if you are schooling him 90% of all his riding times. Also, it is very possible to inject some schooling into a ride out, and every ride should be considered part of the training of the horse. If they do something not correct, you as the rider correct them....that is training. You can practice canter departures, collection, moving off the leg etc out on the trail, and it can certainly save any horse's sanity.

At the level that you are competing at, I think you are over thinking the schooling plan....dont forget to make it fun for yourself and your horse.:D

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
  2. Anna E

Anna E Guest

I
    This makes no sense.... As others have said, take out some of the meadow hay (lock her up overnight if you have to) and feed her the tiniest bit of chaff...

This is ridiculous... Growth issues do not have to be visible on the outside....

3. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I'd think of going 'out' trail riding and ponying another horse is an awesome way of schooling!!

Plus if you want your horse to get fit for cross country, trail rides are a great way to do it! And keeps them keen.

4. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

My horse looks like a beached whale yet he still gets a few handfuls of chaff to mix in with his suppliments. It's not ideal but i dont have any other choice so i do it ';'

If you're really set on not feeding chaff then go and buy one of the Khonkes Own range of pelleted vit/mineral supplements and hand feed it to her. Sunflower seeds and epsom salts alone are not going to be giving her what she needs to grow.

5. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

What I feed my horses depends on what time of year it is and what amount of work they are in.

But they always have access to either pasture or ad lib hay during the day and when I feel energetic are locked off it at night. I am a great believer of allowing the grazing animals to graze **)

During the wet and/or on spell they are on pasture and a lick block to help with their vit/min uptake. I sometimes feed a small hard feed to the QH as he is from down south and i put electrolytes in it for him to handle the heat. If I feed a maintenance pellet I use Hygain Allrounder or Honey B.

In full work my QH gets

1.5kg Hygain Grotorque - for bulk of energy requirements with the main aim aim of providing amino acid/protein for muscle build
    500g rice bran- to supplement above or Hygain Tru Gain depending whats available
    Around 100ml of rice bran oil - he is prone to Qld itch and this provides Omega oils to help his coat
    Apple Cider Vinegar to repel the flies
    Calcium (as dolomite) when feeding rice bran to balance the Ca - P ratio
    Whatever the scoop is of Hygain Regain for electrolyte replacement
    a bit of chaff to mix it through

In medium work my mare gets (I never have the time to work her as hard as the QH and she is a low maintenance fatty :D)

1kg of Hygain Allrounder or Honey B - as a maintenance pellet so she doesn't get jealous of Rockets feed LOL
    Around 100ml of Rice Bran Oil for coat health and Omega oils
    1-2 cups copra is added to her feed when she does some work for energy/protein
    60g Aussie Sport for vit/min

Although she picked up a respiratory infection recently and has been a bit ill, which has dulled her coat somewhat and she has lost a bit of colour. I was thinking of adding Livamol to her feed to help it. I have my wedding coming up and want her to look good for piccies :eek:

6. Equine

Equine New Member

Or feed wheaten chaff if you don't want to feed oaten??

7. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

8. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Monica (pregnant TB, due August):
    *Wheaten chaff --> General roughage and she likes the taste of it :p
    *Lucerne chaff --> Protein
    *Grower and Weaner Pellets --> Vet suggested these because of the supplements in them, but have another phone consult with him soon as she gets further into her pregnancy :)
    *Dolomite --> Serious depletion of any natural supplements in ground feed, we feed dolomite for its calcium and magnesiusm.

*Salt/mineral block --> One of those pink ones, she doesn't usually use it but tends to have a lick when she feels she is lacking in something, would rather it was her choice than me forcing them down her throat and over doing it!

*Meadow Hay --> Top quality, for roughage.

Rahni (15yo, currently in light work):
    *Wheaten chaff --> General roughage
    *Horse Maintenence Pellets --> Doesn't need a lot of oomph, but does need an allround supplement to his feed to keep his weight steady. Was previously on Barley but took him off that whilst he's not in full work.

*Meadow hay --> Top quality, for roughage.

Gracie (3yo, currently in light work):
    *Wheaten chaff --> General roughage
    *Dolomite --> Calcium and magnesium supplementation

*Salt/mineral block --> For her to choose when she is low and needs a top up, naturally.

*Meadow Hay --> Top quality, for roughage.

Gracie used to also be on weaner and grower pellets with a 24hr acces to a mineral block. Now she's a bit older we have cut down the pellets, but she still has acces to a mineral block and gets added dolomite to her feed as there is a serious lack of nutrition in the ground feed in our local area. As a young horse I feel the pressure to make sure she has all the correct supplements in her diet for optimum growth and development, not only physically, but mentally as well. I took advice from our local repro vet as to the feed to give the pregnant mare because I felt as though I needed the guidance from a professional. Rahni just gets whatever I throw at him :p

SJK4EVA, have you considered using a different type of chaff if you're concerned about the oaten chaff making Satin gain too much weight? We swapped to wheaten chaff because it is still fibrous and full of goodness, just not as much 'instant' goodness as oaten chaff.

9. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

Well we feed ever so basic - S/R Barley (fed dry), lucerne chaff and lucerne hay. Depending on time of year and condition we feed Molasses, livamol and basic oil. They have a mineral block so THEY can get minerals when they need them and not forced fed. Growing horses get FFS. All horses are on a regular worming program targeting worms at the correct times. Also rotate wormers between "actives" not just brands

10. BarefootAus

BarefootAus New Member

Bubbas

There are two of us on my street with yearlings and we both confer over feed all the time.

I am of the opinion 'the simpler the better'. Having managed agistment centers for many years I can honestly say the 'quantity' of feed and supplements can never be as successful as the 'quality'. A common mistake made is feeding 'a little' of everything yet not enough of anything :)

My baby is a QH and my friend's is a brumby.

I am feeding my baby the following;

1 std scoop of shandy chaff (for a bit of a mixer)
    1/2 scoop of barley (protein/fat)
    Khonke's Own Cell Grow (vit/min supplement)
    Linseed Oil (she had a skin condition when she arrived and the oil is helping)

She has a mineral block in her paddock, gets thrown some oaten hay from the round bale in the morning and is on 5 acres of good pasture growing from clay.

She is in great condition, shiny and dappled. I think young horse owners struggle with the weight fluctuation during periods of growth - my advice is hang in there! Up the feed a little when you feel they need it for a 'grow', but back off again when they start to be 'over-done'.

I often get asked to provide feeding advice and I can't comprehend what some people are feeding, but I can understand that feeling when you just add a touch of this and a touch of that....it does feel good! However, not so good for the wallet and the horse probably doesn't care too much either :)

11. usdivers

usdivers New Member

How about the endurance horses

What is everyone that has an endurance horse in work feeding them at the moment?

12. PaintHorse

PaintHorse New Member

I am very much of the KISS school of feeding.
    Aged Horse (27 yo gelding) - 2 kg grower and Weaner as general feed balancer, 500 g TDI to increase weight, free choice wheaten hay for roughage, 1 biscuit Lucerne hay for protein and calcium, free access to pasture. No chaff as he hates it, and since he is from the USA, where we don't feed chaff, he has no idea why I would put it in his bin
    Weanling - 500 g G & W, free choice wheaten hay, 1 biscuit lucerne, free access to pasture.
    TB in light work: 1 kg micronized grain mix (lupins, corn, sunflower seeds - as easily digested, good source of essential fatty acids and amino acids), equilibrium mineral mix (salt & minerals). Free acces to pasture, wheaten hay with 1 biscuit Lucerne each.
    I do not add additional calcium with my kikuyu pastures, as contained in lucerne and equilibrium both contain.

13. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

I feed mine regardless of whether they are in work(light - medium inc competition) or not.

Oaten hay for roughage
    Lucerne chaff for protein
    A pellet for vits/mins (which one is dependant on the pony and age but usually balanced or gumnuts)

I have found this is a good simple diet for them, quantities are varied of course dependant on what they are doing and whether they are on grass or not.

14. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Hay...**) plus 1 ice cream tub full of oaten chaff, 1 of Lucerne chaff, and half a tub of oats on work days.

15. Equine

Equine New Member

Using those 2L scoops you buy from horseland

2 scoops oaten chaff (roughage)
    2 scoops lucerne chaff (protein)
    1 scoop copra (for weight)
    1 metric cup of alka pellets (ulcery horse)
    1/2 cup of canola oil (for weight)

This feed, twice a day (so double all of the above).
    As well as 6-7kg of Oaten Hay a day.

16. Dusty Road

Dusty Road Well-known Member

I always add little extras to my horses feed, such as rosehip, kelp and apple cider vinegar. I am well aware that these do nothing for my horse, but they don't cause any problems either, and I feel good adding it to their feed :))

17. katie16

katie16 New Member

Do you know approximately how much copra that is in weight (dryed)? Thanks!

18. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

Our girls get fed a grain mix (oats, lupins, barley) to supply the protein and nutrients, sweet chaff to mix the grains in and lots and lots of hay to maintain a healthy gut and weight management...simple and great results.

They are also paddocked in pasture improved paddocks seeded with a variety of different grasses and clover.

When in show prep we may add Red Cell, TDI or oils to give the coat that little bit extra but it is usually not needed, just makes us feel better. ;)

19. WildandFree

WildandFree Well-known Member

wow thanks guys this has helped heaps

i simple kind of person but with all the feeds out there its all very confusing as i need my gelding and my mare on a feed that help maintain weight and not get them fizzy now i have more of a idea :)

also SJK satin is growing so even tho she looks fat maintain a good balanced feed to help her and as shes grow up and out she start evening out she need all the help shes can get

WnF

Last edited: May 19, 2012