Do you know why you feed what you feed to your horse?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Deb2, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Banjo01

Banjo01 New Member

My two horses get:
    Oaten chaff - a filler more than anything, I have always used oaten chaff to bulk up the feed a little.
    Hygain Balanced - my horses are show horses and I like them to be on a pellet that balances all the vitamin and mineral concentrates equally. They look brilliant :)
    Sweet Bulk - more of a tasty treat to appeal to my sneaky pony's appetite but also just a little add-on for weight gain/maintenance and uncostly bulk.
    Salt - to encourage and enhance rehydration and compensate for sweat loss (is an electrolyte I believe, correct me if wrong).
    Oaten hay. My two have grass but not an adundance, and I believe all horses should have some hay at least every once in a while.. mine get half a bale a day to share between themselves.
    Lucerne hay - occasionally. Only when I find my horses are lacking in that extra 'kick' of energy and they need a bit of a pick-me-up in weight or performance. Lucerne hay is also quite rich so I usually give one biscuit a day maximum. Havent bought a bale for over a month now, and due to this wonderful rain I am sure I won't be needing to re-stock any time soon. ;)

2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Yes.

I only hard feed my old TB mare at the moment, she finds it hard over the late summer period. She gets ad-lib oaten hay, plus lupins (for the protein), barley (for the energy) and oil (for the fats) and Cell Vital (for the vitamins and minerals). All whole grains and I just soak it before each feed. I would feed a pellet because Im lazy, but I get the grains for free or very cheap so I might as well feed them.

All the other horses get only ad-lib oaten hay. In winter they are just on pasture and are fat as fools. Even the working horses only get a handful of soaked barley after being ridden, basically just to hide their Cell-Vital in.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  3. Sportsmans Image

Sportsmans Image Active Member

i use feed xl:)

oaten chaff-roughage and to reduece the protien(apposed to lucerne) but keep digestable energy

lupins-low starch high protien, wont upset his stomach

hygain trugain- has less protien than lupins and loads of energy, made of fats, no starch so wont upset his stomach

lucerne chaff- for calcium as his enamal was starting to dissapear which only happened during the period where he wasnt getting this, also good sourse of mg, degestable energy and protien. more neutrients than oaten chaff and if i wasnt concerned about his protien would not be gatting a 50/50 mix

chia-to assist with sand removal and as maintinance for his joints

cell vital- to balance his vit/mins

salt-to add sodium

topon dx forte-to help with topline as his sacro issues slowly resolve.

he also gets weaten hay, provided by agistment and some speedibeet at teatime, for extra roughage and water intake.

the only reason i use oaten chaff instead of extra hay is that i do partboard and it is easier to store this rather than hay at my house:D

4. katelol

katelol Guest

I'm feeding Silvy a little bit of sweet chaff to mix the minerals with, Advanced Thia/Mag and Equi-Min.

I was also giving her about half to a kilo of pony cubes but I bought a bag of Micronised Muesli yesterday and will be swapping to that. I decided it was pointless feeding a complete feed that is made up mostly of fillers :} at least with the muesli I can see what she's getting.

And from what I understand, micronising means they get more of the nutrition out of the feed. So I can either feed less or expect more :))

But mainly she lives on a mix of pastures in her paddock. I only feed about 4/5 times a week anyway...

5. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Do you not worry that the filly is not getting the required vit/min to develop sound bones and joints?

6. Anna E

Anna E Guest

If she's too fat as a yearling, she should be getting less than ad lib access to hay (not ideal, but necessary for some fatties (I had one!)). Then a minimum hard feed (chaff only if necessary) with a broad spectrum vitamin/mineral supplement.

7. Diana

Diana Gold Member

';' probably not :} *#)

8. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Everything on my property STILL get Vit/Mins even if they were to be just on hay or spelled out the farm, it's in a Lick Block form & i try to source those without a high molasses content.
    I feed what i feed mine as it works, they look great IMO & are happy/healthy - even the sick filly!!!!

Ok i have 16 ponies all up so will write what they get.

Small Horse mare (being shown):
    Lucerne Chaff, Oaten Chaff, Museli, Vit/Min & Hay.
    Mini Horse stallion (being shown):
    Lucerne Chaff, Oaten Chaff, Museli, Vit/Min & Hay.
    Mini Horse stallion & his 4 preggy mares in 1 paddock:
    Hay plus small hard feed each night of Lucerne Chaff, Vit/Mins.
    Mini Pony colt & Mini Pony mare in foal:
    Hay plus small hard feed at night of Lucerne Chaff, Vit/Mins.
    Mini Pony mare (in foal) & Mini Pony weanling filly:
    Hay plus small hard feed at night of Lucerne Chaff, Vit/Mins, the weanling gets Grower/Weaner Pellets.
    Arab Pony colt weanling (being shown):
    Lucerne Chaff, Grower/Weaner Pellets, Tuffrock C+ & Hay.
    Pt Arab filly weaniing (been injured last 3 mths & just had surgery):
    Lucerne Chaff, Grower/Weaner Pellets, Yarrow, Meadowsweet & Rosehips, Tuffrock C+ & Hay.
    Welsh A filly & Welsh A mare:
    Hay, plus small hard feed at night of Lucerne Chaff, Oats & Vit/Mins.
    Welsh B mare in foal (she's a VERY good doer):
    Hay plus small hard feed at night of Lucerne Chaff & Vit/Mins.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012
  9. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Remaani which lick blocks have you found that have a lesser molasses content?
    I just chuck out the Barastock ones to the youngsters/retirees to free range on but they disappear very quickly so I suspect they are mostly molasses. They literally bite chucks out of it.
    Id prefer lesser molasses ones so they last a bit longer! :p

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  10. Lacey

Lacey Well-known Member

Kira - we've just started to source a loose lick for ours as we were sick of them eating it all at once! They seem to be eating it at the required rate ATM though if we were having them eat it too fast the option was there from the manufacturer to make it a bit less palateble, the company is called rural west - we've used them a lot with feedlot minerals for cattle not realizing they did alotof horse stuff too.

11. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Ah ok thanks Lacey. How do you go about feeding a loose lick? The good thing about the blocks is you can just pick them up and move them around and plunk them down somewhere lol

12. Lacey

Lacey Well-known Member

In the pad with the boys there is a old concrete trough that's no good for water but holds the lick relatively well, we found our boys used to get too playfull with a block and smash it to nothing! Therefore nothing to move lol. Either that or half a 44 works well as well.

13. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

how did u find them with the rain lacey ??

14. Lacey

Lacey Well-known Member

Havnt had any yet *#) well 5ml doesn't count... Really we don't know yet but there is no danger if they do get wet... We had to cover lick blocks as well when it rained as well so doubt it will be any different.

15. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

Yes, I do worry about her getting the right vit/min, but I can't feed her any hard feed (not even chaff) or she just explodes. Less hay and she drops weight (to the point of being light on), start giving her a small chaff feed and BAM fat pony again, even worse than just on the hay.

I think she needs a job and more exercise and she'll be fine but she's too young for any of that yet. If I walk her it's not enough, and I'm not a runner, my knees can't cope with it, so I can't trot her for long. I don't ride out very often so ponying her isn't going to happen, Monty's in competition work so when I ride 90% of the time it's work.

I thought about a lick block but haven't yet found one that is low molasses, doesn't have to be covered, and is specifically designed for young horses. My stockfeeder doesn't stock much variety. Nor does the other stockfeeder in town, who is more expensive anyway.

She got a small feed of weanling pellets, sunny seeds and epsom salts tonight... we usually feed a mineral suppliment as well but the sunny seeds and epsom salts mostly cover what our area is deficient in. When I get the clipper blades sharpened again she'll be clipped, which should help me keep the weight off her a little. It doesn't help that she doesn't really have anyone to play with, I know two people with foals and one she hates, the other is a colt and she's way too young to run with an entire boy.

16. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Okay SJK4E, if you take one kilo of hay out of her diet and add one kilo of chaff, plus suitable mineral/vitamin mix for a young growing horse, then I do not see how she would change weight on this. All you would be doing is changing the 1 kilo of hay into 1 kilo of chaff....it means the same for the horse. I would be doing this to ensure she grows to her best potentual. It would be too heart breaking to spend all the time growing them on, only to find they have issues that could have been prevented with the inclusion of a mineral/vit mix suitable to her age.

Do you have pics of her???? I would love to see some pics of her.

17. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

It's because we feed meadow hay which even though it's good quality isn't as nutritious as oaten. And we feed oaten chaff.

The only recent-ish pic I have of her is with a rug on, but once I've got the clippers sharpened I'll take pre- and post-clip photos. And for now I'll post the rug on pic.
    [​IMG]

She's 14hh now easily (from comparing her to a horse I know to be 14.2 and a smidge), and was only expected to reach 14.2-14.3, the heights of her parents, so at the moment I feel like she's growing right on track. She's bum high, feeling the yearling uglies, but she's not developing any issues with her growth. If she was, they would be being rectified.

edit; the scale of the pic is off, my phone distorts images. The horse she's with is at least 15.3hh. I can get a relatively accurate measurement of Satin's height tomorrow sometime.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  18. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

i feed my girl oaten and lucern chaff, james and sons high-e and oaten hay
    she is terribly picky and will eat half her hay then throw the rest aroud and will not eat off the floor
    the high-e mix contaians all the grains,vits and mins needed daily, she wont touch a mineral block
    and the lucern and oaten chaff is to well fluff out her feed cause i feel bad seeing all that hay on the floor, lol she is a good doer who only eats her fill, rare I know, but will happily leave food when she is full and come back to it a couple of hours later, provided it didnt touch the floor lol, she also shares with the bandicoot who has adopted her

19. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

This my "poor little pony" last week, just dragged out of the paddock. He is on ad lib meadow hay, 2 hay bags of oaten hay and a little bit of chaff just to mix with 1 scoop (the one that comes with the pellets) twice a day of Alka Pellets. He is a rising 3yo who has grown 7" in the last 15 months. Poor little wee thing;)

To me chaff is not a "hard feed" and really can't see how chaff would make a horse fat when hay isn't :confused: after all chaff is just chopped up hay

[​IMG]

20. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Is a handful of chaff not enough to mix some min/vit mix in? Or 2 handfuls...

I'm just finding it really hard to imagine a pony going from explosion to light on virtually instantly. My horses are both very good doers; the only time I've seen one change weight dramatically was when he had colic surgery.

Why not take out say a kilo of meadow hay and give her a scoop of oaten with her supps and I can't see her changing weight that dramatically...? ';'