Do you know why you feed what you feed to your horse?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Deb2, Apr 28, 2012.

1. abb77

abb77 Well-known Member

lucerne chaff for fibre and calcium
    oaten chaff for fibre
    sweetbulk for bulk and appeal
    mortons top performance for protein, energy and fibre
    rosehip for joint health
    yeasac for probiotics
    lupins for topline/muscle and protein
    soon to be feeding biotin for his weak hooves
    vegetable oils for fat, energy and coat shine
    and of course HAY :D

2. Black Ice

Black Ice Well-known Member

Oaten hay cos its all I can get!
    Oats - lots of reasons, the main being I have found them to be perfect for my old boy who is getting really hard to keep the weight on and they are cheaper than all those pre-mixes which usually contain oats anyway!
    Lucern chaff - to balance the cal/ph ratio... and because they love it!
    Vit/min block - because I like giving them lollies :-D

3. darkangels

darkangels New Member

Lucern Chaff for calcium and fibre
    Sweet Chaff for bulk and hopefully sand removal :)
    Soaked Lupins, Barley and Oats for protein and fat
    Alkapellets for hind gut and digestion
    Canola Oil for coat and fat
    Red Cell
    Garlic
    Salt
    Groom
    Apple Cider Vinegar
    And have just started some Pollard for my rescue TB who needs some more weight, but will probably just feed him this over winter :)
    My Arabian also gets Grower'n'Weaner Pellets but am slowly weaning him off them :)
    And of course Hay, lots of Hay..lol.

4. Bruce the Goose

Bruce the Goose Well-known Member

My two boys are on a very basic diet which they have been on for the past 2 months and seem to be doing really well.

Both are TB's and are in work, dressage, showjumping and eventing.

Oaten Chaff (1/2 kg just to make feed less wet)
    Maxi Soy (2kgs)
    Lucerne Cubes (1.5kg), using cubes instead of chaff as wanted them chewing feed more due to using maxi soy.
    Cell Vital
    Wheaten hay (6kgs)- local farmer grows it and stores it in his shed, I only have to take what I can store each time

We don't have any pasture until our winter crop goes in then their feed will be reduced.

The above is balanced on feedXL except for being a little bit low in sodium but we are on bore water which is in the high levels for salt so not concerned if feed bit low.

Cheers Tracey

5. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Not at all at the moment. He has a LOT of muscle to build. After spelling so long his muscle had wasted away, but with this feed plus light work he is building it nicely. His urine is clear enough, not thick or anything..
    Quite a few people feed lucerne and lupins with no worries :) He only gets 2kg lupins and 1kg lucerne per day, so really not that much.

IF he shows signs of protein overload (puffy legs, smelly/thick urine, etc) then I will look at changing his diet :)

ETA: I also did a similar diet on FeedXL a while ago and found it to say there wasn't too much protein. Not sure how much I trust that though :p

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Yes **) I do indeed. I dont like blind faith, or throwing money away :)

7. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

Yep, I feed to suit each horse and if it doesnt work, I change it to suit till I find something that works and is economical.

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Gosh I must be one of the only ones here that feeds Barley!

I personally believe less is more and due to the difficulty and high prices of getting pelleted feed out here I turned to whole grain years ago and now refuse to feed my horses any pelleted feed what so ever. I also don't believe in feeding oaten or wheaten chaff if your horse is getting enough roughage.

I like there to be less 'bulk' in my horses stomach to allow their stomachs to do the job it needs to on the important things I put into his body so apart from just a small handful of Lucerne used to combine everything...all my horses basically get is Barley and FFS!

I personally rely on the Wheaten hay roll to do over 80% of my horses conditioning and feed a small hard feed according to age, size and work load and present one of my horses to the show ring on this diet only and also have a 15 year old thoroughbred mare 'hard doer' on the exact diet surviving just fine! Thanks to the hay roll!

I don't like busy diets! I get the same results with less and REAL grains.

9. Black Ice

Black Ice Well-known Member

I'm with you Arnie... the guy at the feed store was pushing me so hard to buy oaten chaff the other day, which I flatly refused to do! I told him they get ad lib hay... so why do I need to fork out $36 for a bag of the same stuff cut up?

10. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Arnie and Black Ice, I used to be exactly like you two, but then, when I had a vet out to one of my horses (years ago) and he explained that horses need long stem AND short stem fibre, so he advised I fed chaff as well as all the hay that I was currently feeding. In his opinion, the different stems worked together to keep the gut healthy.

Anyone else agree with this vet?

11. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

:eek:

Has he ever seen a roll of hay, a bale of hay, a bisuit of hay - OR hay full stop before?

That comment is so illogical!

SURE they may require different fibre types, , but feeding chaff as well as hay is certainly not going to cover those bases. Feeding different pasture types, different hay's, allowing horses to graze, allowing horses to eat whole unprocessed food......but certainly not feeding chaff.....cmon. Must think we are idiots to beleive that! lol :p

I certainly dont agree with him.

They dont inhale it....they do chew it up ....and if the fibre structure was not going to differ in a bale of hay, then it certainly wont differ by beaing chopped up neatly!

gah!

';'

****....walks of muttering and ranting........****

12. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

It is documented that horses require a majority of long stem forage to encourage saliva flow, and maintain social health.

http://www.ker.com/library/equinews/v13n2/v13n203.pdf

We KNOW they have problems with a diet lacking long stem fibre....but needing to add chaff to add short stem fibre.......????

What do pellets have in them? ...... chopped up long stem fibre - which you COULD call 'short' ened stem fibre.

What do grains come wrapped in? Short stem fibre.

This is like the bloody equine dentist we had travelling around this way that told everyone that feeding only hay causes calculus to form on the horses teeth, and then causes further dental issues requiring extraction. He reccomended a diet mainly of wetted down chaff.

What a fricken idiot.......

13. darkangels

darkangels New Member

I agree with you Arnie, which is why i am weaning Shaheen off the grower'n'weaner pellets.
    He will eventually just be fed, Barley, Lupins and Oats with his Lucern, plus vit/min etc :)

14. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

My feeds depend on the work load and every horse/pony has their own diet.

The old one normally gets Oaten Chaff because she has no teeth and needs roughage for fibre, Lucerne to maintain muscle and gumnuts to provide extra fat, protein and vit and nims. She has meadow hay rolls but she just sucks on it. This is all fed every day.

The fat pony gets sweet chaff(easier to eat/he has disaligned teeth), Lucerne(protein) and Horse pellets(cos he likes them :p ) with humidimix(replace sweat loss). This hard feed is fed only when he works and Ad lib Meadow hay all the time.

The horse...is spoilt. Lucerne(protein), Gumnuts or lupins and oil. Both combo's have loads of fat and protein which she needs to maintain weight and muscle. I prefer lupins though. Basic Vit/min mix and Humidimix to suppliment diet and sweat replacement. She's only fed this when she works but gets a daily scoop of Lucerne and biscuit of oaten hay every other day. And she's on ad lib meadow hay.

15. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

So many people think it's too hard to balance a horses feed without premixes. I love Boiled barley for putting on weight but have lupins on their own for management :D most premixes have exactly what you feed too!

16. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

teehee Eoroe, did I hit a nerve????;) Classic response though.:p

Darkangels, why barley, oats and lupins, as opposed to just say lupins, but more of them?

17. darkangels

darkangels New Member

Hi Deb :)

Those 3 feeds is what i was taught to feed over 25 years ago when i first got in to horses.
    They each have their own nutrient value and benefit to the diet, plus i like to give variety..lol. Mainly though, i think, it's because i can never make up my mind which one to not feed, if i leave one out I FEEL BAD, like my horse is missing out on something..lol. Entirely selfish reasoning i know, but old habits die hard...hehehe..
    It honestly works out so much cheaper than buying premixes that have all 3 of the same grain in them anyway :)

18. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

My filly is just on ad lib hay at the moment, she is too fat as it is! Even a really small hard feed purely for minerals is too much.

My gelding on the other hand is on a LOT of oaten chaff (for roughage and because oaten chaff is better than meadow hay so I may as well replace some of his roughage with better quality), ad lib hay, and weanling pellets, as he needs high protein and I want high digestible energy as he is lazy 80% of the time and I'd like him to heat up a little. He has, and it's the best thing that's happened to either of us. I'm thinking about getting lucerne chaff when I get paid, for the protein content. He gets sunflower seeds for coat colour and quality, a little bit of epsom salts for magnesium and to keep his guts moving, and a little bit of salt if he's worked or going to be worked. I should suppliment his calcium because the paddocks have a lot of kikuyu but if I swap him back to lucerne chaff that has a pretty high calcium content anyway.

19. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

Wow - I'm glad to have a good doer! Some people feed heaps!! :eek:

Wheaten hay - roughage and it's what my agistment provides
    1 scoop Oaten rough cut chaff - roughage and to mix feed in
    500 g vit/min pellet - for vits and mins obviously!
    Recommended amount of chia seed - coat, joints
    Tablespoon dolomite - she's a mare and it's my personal belief it makes her easier to deal with when in season.

That's it - and I think she looks great **)

20. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Hush your mouths...if my pony ever finds out that horses get all this other stuff he will be :( lol.