Do you know why you feed what you feed to your horse?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Deb2, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I read so many threads about other peoples feeding regeme's that seem so complicated, and often, unnecessarily so.

As a horse owner, do you have a reason for every thing that you put in your horses bucket?

I do!**) I do not see the point in feeding something that has no purpose, or that I dont know why I am feeding it.

* I feed hay and chaff for roughage.
    * I feed lupins for weight maintenance.
    * I feed Alka pellets for hind gut maintenance as my horse is a mild windsucker and I believe this product will neutralise the acids, and after 10 days I can see the improvements in my horses behaviour and poo condition.
    * I feed mineral suppliments/salt to balance shortfall in WA conditions.

I sometimes hear of feeding regemes where by there are up to 20 different components in the bucket, and I wonder if the owner just adds all suggestions as they dont know what is best so add the lot.

Do you fall into this catagory, or do you know why you feed what you feed?

2. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I feed Dave oaten hay because that's what the farm grows...

I'm not really sure what else to feed him. But I occasionally feed him some sunflower seeds and I bought him some Liberty - I need to grab my bag from the other farm so I can start feeding it to him *#)

3. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Ha Diana, thats a pretty basic diet, but do you have a reason for feeding the sunny seeds and liberty?

This is a subject I find very interesting. I have never been one to feed all the new fangled fads that come on the market. For me there has to be a reason for it, and if I try it and notice no improvements, then it is not re-purchased.

I also dont like wasting money!;)

4. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Sure do, every single thing I feed is for a necessary nutritional purpose, I do alter feeds slightly to suit the seasons also, just as nature alters what is on offer naturally.

5. Anna E

Anna E Guest

I feed:
    stubble/dried off rye grass because it's cheap ;) and because I know we don't have annul rye grass tox. Plus it's a constant throughput of low quality fibre keeping the head and the hindgut happy.
    Oaten hay when they're not grazing stubble. Not ad lib because then they'd explode...
    Then I feed:
    Lupins cos the above roughage doesn't have enough protein for horses in work
    Oats because Joe's a lazy sod and oats give him some get up and go
    Lucerne chaff because for totally unscientific reasons I don't like seeing straight grain go down my horses' throats
    Vitamin E and Selenium because we're selenium marginal and on dry feed for long periods of the year
    Salt to working horses to counteract sweat losses, and Enduramax after long training rides
    That's it.

6. Diana

Diana Gold Member

The sunny seeds were mainly for a bit of extra protein coming into his summer coat (but his coat improved after I wormed him so yeah he might've been a bit wormy :( ) and yeah they do darken his coat nicely (I'm lucky in that he's not a smutty pali so I can feed him "dirty" feeds :D hehe).
    I haven't started the Liberty yet. But I got them because my SIL suggested them :p just a bit of extra oomph into Dave's diet, especially now that I'm hoping to ride him regularly (4-6 times a week rather than 2-3) :D and I just looked it up :eek: - looks like a nice all-round feed topper.

7. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

I feed oaten hay cos my horses like it & look good on it. They get a daily vitamin supplement & the 20 yr old gets maxi-soy to keep his weight on without him getting too hot for my 6 yr old to ride. Quite honestly he prefers hay to hard feed & I have to seperate him from the hay before he will eat the hard feed completely. No-one is in serious work & if they were I would probably give them something else, but for now it is simple hay & daily vitamins, with regular worming.

8. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i *think* i do.

lucerne for protein.
    sweet chaff for sand & roughage.
    pony maintenance cubes for energy & weight, tho i don't feed a lot really.
    full fat soya for fat & protein. i would prefer to feed canola for the same reason because it's significantly cheaper but she's a buckskin & it seems to affect her colour a bit. as does the lucerne, but i'm rolling with it anyway.
    celery seeds & MSM for arthritis.
    minerals because they're on kikuyu "pasture" & definitely don't make up for it via their diet.
    salt & electrolytes for working horses.
    and one of my guys gets oaten chaff for roughage, but not a lot (i have slowly cut down & increased hay).

oaten hay (compressed) for roughage. this makes up the bulk of their diets. it's compressed for convenience & my pony is pretty fussy and therefore less likely to waste it.

9. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

Darcy gets
    - oaten hay for roughage
    - lucerne chaff because it is good for guts and has good minerals in it (can't remember what right now!)
    - copra, for protein and good oils
    - barley (when I make it to the feed store) for protein
    - sweet chaff, for roughage and to hopefully flush sand through
    - vit/min supplement, to fill the gaps
    - sunflower seeds, for good oils to make him shiny and purdy, and cos I have a bunch in my house I need to get rid of before the weevils eat us alive!

10. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

My endurance horses run on an all year round kike/clover pasture.

They get fed:

Chaff as a bulker to mix the additives in.

Any pellet that has around 13% Protien (Economix, Equibalance, High Performance etc) - The amount varies as to if they worked today or not.

Kohnke's Marathon Mix - Vitamin mix for endurance.

Humidimix - Electrolytes (I still cannot source Enduramax down here';'.)

Di Cal - to offset the kike.

Canola Oil - as a source of 'heat' and to act as a carrier for certian vitamins.

I like my horses to relatively lean for competition but Poppy still scored a 4 at Yarloop:eek:. I am way too embarressed to take the breaker to a comp and say she is an endurance horse, she is way overweight but it is slowly coming off.

11. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

One of my biggest ';' with feed regimes why, oh why do people need to add 2/3/4 different complete feeds to a bucket?

12. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Hay roll so he can have constant roughage to help the gut keep moving and move sand a little, because we are on black dirt.

Lucerne chaff for protein.
    Lupins for more protein, and energy.
    Pellet for fat and weightgain.
    Advantage min/supp to provide what the feeds are lacking..
    Sulfur to help get rid of any pests around (have a tick problem at the moment)

13. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Yes I do.
    Everything I feed (and do with them, for that matter) has a purpose. I don't feed extra bits 'just because', or to make ME feel better.

My lot are on the most basic of diets, with supplements for the individual.

14. weezal

weezal New Member

Yep,

Lucerne chaff because he is on a huge paddock which is mainly kikyuyu. I need to feed feeds a small as possible and lucerne is high in calcium, protein and energy
    Prydes Biomare cubes. They are pretty high energy, protein, vit/mins, etc compared to most other feeds I tried and a good price
    FFS for protein & fat he doesn't get enough protein as his diet is mostly grass
    Copra up the protein a little though is not great quality protein so I mostly use this to hide funny tastes of supplements/changes in feed & for fat.
    Vitamin/mineral mix to balance his feed as it is a little low in a few vits/mins
    DCP to up his calcium/oxalate ratio because of the kikyuyu

15. Anna_Smiler

Anna_Smiler Well-known Member

my TB is ridiculousy laid back and i try and feed him something that will give him more energy etc as we very much struggle with forward.

oaten chaff - roughage
    lucerne chaff - for energy and protein
    oats - for energy
    *JUST STARTED ON*Highgain Honey B - for energy, but not getting great results. so thinking of trying another product.
    Mueseli - energy
    Millmix - to keep his weight consistent
    Mitavite xtra cool - all round nutritional pellet offered at my agsit atm, even though i would prefer him on something offering more energy. still researching and looking for an alternative.
    Chia seeds - nutritional benifits, coat, joints etc
    Racing oil - energy
    sunflower seeds - coat, energy

and as much hay as he can eat

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  16. tazzie13

tazzie13 Active Member

dont you find that to much protien myyky
    only asking cause lucernce chaff is 19% protein and lupins are 20-40% i might be wrong but to much protein is not good for a horse ';' just my opinion

17. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Yep, I know why I feed what I do.
    GK gets
    Oaten Chaff for roughage
    Lucerne for calcium
    Mill Mix for weight maintenance and also the phosphorus in the bran
    Omega Weight Gain to keep weight on and also it gives him an amazing coat
    Equimin to add extra vitamins and minerals to his diet that may be lacking from WA conditions
    He also gets Hay at night to give him something to keep his guts going when he is stabled.

18. Nae Nae

Nae Nae Well-known Member

My girls have access to a roll of meadow hay, i dont feed oaten hay as they gorge on it and make them selves sick, and i can manage there weight better when on meadow hay.

They each get sweet chalf, as i prefer this to normal rough cut chaff, its less dusty and i have found my girls digest it better than normal chaff.

They have Alka pellets, to feed the gut and neutralise the stomache acid (one filly has stomache alcers).

Claytons pellets, my little filly is able to tolerate the protein in these and put on weight along with my QH mare in work has maintained her weight with out getting hot in the head.

Fibrebeet, My filly started on this when she was diagnosed with stomache alcers as it was the only thing she would eat with out it upsetting her stomache, It gives her the fibre she needs to keep her stomache working properly and my mare gets a small amount to which i have found has helped with her weight managment.

They both get redcell as it has all of the extra mineral and things that they need and the young filly gets calcium powder.

they also get TDI for muscle development.

Our minis are on half or less of a dipper of sweet chaff, redcell, Alka pellets and carrots
    They do not need anything else as they are on lush green grass of the day and have a small feed at night! We never feed any type of grain to our minis as they are not designed to tolerate a high grain diet (most have a stomache the size of a grapefruit!!!) and they are not endurance horses that get ridden great distances or that work exceptionally hard. When the grass is less lush they are on a small amount of speedibeet to help maintain weight. I believe all of our horses are exceptionally well looked after and we try our best to feed them exactly what they need. I like to know what they are eating is good for them and keeping there feed as basic as possible is ideal.

19. tazzie13

tazzie13 Active Member

i feed my baby
    oaten chaff for roughage
    lucerne chaff for protein
    studmaster for all his vitamins and minerals ect
    cal + with biotin for his feet
    kohnkes own cell grow

and i feed my ottb
    oaten chaff for roughage
    lucerne chaff for protein
    weaners and growers for weight vitamins ect
    muslie for energy which she has plenty of
    calcium
    sunflower oil to make her coat shine

and then oaten hay twice a day

thats my feed guide :p

20. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Interesting thread. Good reading.

Our 2 TBs get:

Rough cut chaff - for fibre and mixer
    Lucerne chaff - for calcium
    Mitavite - at the recommended portions for balanced feed
    Lupins - for weightgain
    Bobby the senior TB has just started getting some hi fat feed (must check the name of it) to help him put weight on.

The 2 fat appys get:

chaff - as a mixer
    Kohnkes Cell Vital or Provide (cant remember which one) - for vitamins and minerals
    A handful of mitavite just for interest sake.

They all get lots of hay for the roughage

I have also given them Biotin for healthy hooves but have run out at the moment.