Do you choose to wear a helmet or choose not?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by purplepony, Aug 1, 2011.

1. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

oh my god!!! now that is somthing you really dont think about, i take it they were the plastic style ones, that would of been quite horrible...

2. Neats

Neats New Member

I wear a helmet because I am an Emergency doctor and see all the bad things. For such a simple cheap piece of gear why wouldn't you put one on everytime you get on

3. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Because of the feeling of freedom, the wind lifting your hair, the feeling of ALIVE that only a risky situation gives - to me, those sensations are worth the occasional risk on the one horse I have that sort of bond with that am willing to take it.

I am not a stupid or naive person, I know the dangers, but it is my body, my choice, and I have full private health cover ;) I do what I like to do, and I live how I like to live, and naturally that has consequences.

I believe in living life to its fullest and not being restrained by possibilities - I know my old age is going to be fraught with difficulty anyway due to a health condition, so may as well live it up while I physically can, and if the worst happens, I had a damn good time along the way!!

4. WildandFree

WildandFree Well-known Member

ok been reading them all and most people are like yes most def always do and then they go but not at the beach the beach to me is well like anywhere better safer then sorry i can see the point of why people don't at the beach but to me thats still risky but each to there own

i ride always have with one i was taught at my riding school no helmet no horse and you got sent to tasks like mucking out cleaning tack etc if you forgot yes the kids that rode did the same chores just missed the yards of the horses that where being ridden for them etc

also guys don't forget most of the stockies bar the few grew up with no helmet riding their ponies so as adults some still do that it the era they grew up in as adults we have choice and we don't have to justify it at the end of the day their choice their rules their lives their risk

5. BellaSkip

BellaSkip Well-known Member

I,too always wear a helmet when I ride, I will even wear one if I think the horse I am handling may be unsafe.

I was taught the importance of a helmet at a young stage, when my "bombproof" pony was run at and then chased by a couple of dogs.

My totally "safe" pony (who was used at the local riding school as a beginner pony) completely flipped out, jumped a closed gate, and bolted down a main road. I came off, and landed on my head. I have a slight compression in my skull from it, and have had major headaches and migraines since. I was one of the lucky ones, my skull didnt break or fracture, just bent. But I shall never ride without a helmet. If I need to the feel the wind in my hair, I shall just wind down all the windows in my car as I go down the freeway.

6. HoolyDooly

HoolyDooly New Member

God that sounds horrible! :( That would have been horrifying as a kid.

I will ALWAYS wear a helmet. From a young age i've had it pounded into my mind. I've had a few falls that have reinforced it too. I haven't directly landed on my head, but I have still managed to hurt myself pretty badly. Be it horse or pushbike, I will wear a helmet. My paranoia is better then a bad injury.

7. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Ah Bella Skip but something could blow in your eye with the window down causing a road accident :p you may mock, but each to their own ;)

8. Neats

Neats New Member

Hen - true each to their own but losing a loved one or having them permanently disabled as a result of a fall off a horse because a simple cheap item as a helmet wasn't put on is just a waste of life

I see the extremes - mostly from skateboards, bikes, ripsticks

Head injuries while no external injury may be seen can be truely devastating to quality of life

Helmets dont and cant prevent everything but they do a bloody good job

9. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Helmet or no helmet horse riding is a dangerous pass time, when you are an adult it is just a matter of choice.

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I'm surprised by the amount of people who are thinking of themselves in this thread.

Dieing is one issue, your family members being traumatised for life by having to wipe your own bottom because you can't....is another.

I think of my family before my own needs.

11. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Agree with Hen..

Life is short :) I choose to not wear a helmet at the beach.

Anyone who has met me knows it's just as likely (if not more likely) that I'll trip over my own feet and fall, giving myself brain damage.. maybe I should *always* wear a helmet? haha.

I don't want to spend my entire life scared of what COULD happen.. I've heard a lot of freak accidents happening with people on the ground..

12. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Also, while on the topic.
    I also find it funny how many people ride bareback without a helmet?

I would never dream of cantering Bess WITH a saddle without a helmet? Yet I quite often hop on her bareback and fang around without a helmet. Normally because it's a spur of the moment thing (I'll be leading her and decide to jump on.. or I'll just be going for a ''walk'')

13. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I don't have any kids, only close family is my hubby and considering he risks his life in his job every day (he has a very high risk occupation) I'd say it's entirely fair :)

14. Perthian

Perthian New Member

Hen, I do see your point, to a point. Don't get upset with what I am saying but...Your comment sounds as if it is coming from a very young person and a statistic waiting to happen, younger people usually don't have much in the considering department of life and do a lot of high risk things. That is a fact.

I am sure all risks that can be cared for is taken cared for in hubby's occupation and if a helmet is to be worn I am sure he had to conform to do so to keep him safe, it would not be a matter of choice
    He couldn't say, "my wife is doing a high risk hobby without a helmet so I will just do the same, it is entierly fair."

Anyway, to finish off I just have to say, it is YOUR choice what you do and not for any of us to tell you otherwise. And that goes for all other non helmet wearing riders who has commented. The thread was asking what you choose to do.
    There are obvoiosly a few here who has seen, experienced or had loved ones with head injuries. To deal with them first hand and as a carer can stir up emotions when someone talks so careless about themself.

I don't think you went out meaning to be, it is your choice not to wear a helmet and you pointed it out very firmly!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  15. UndaToka

UndaToka New Member

i am going to ride Cookie on sunday for the first time since she bucked me off
    i am still getting physio on my shoulder from the time before that i came off
    what i need is a body helmet or a seat belt on the saddle

16. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Haha.. hey I'd be pretty happy with that Hen!

Very young? :p ;)
    Young at heart?

17. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

The only time I dont is if I just jump on one specific pony in the paddock and ride him at walk to his stable but thats only been a handful of times when I was too lazy to lead him and he is "bombproof" or if im IN the water at the beach... every other time including just on the sand at the beach I wear one.

Ive been in 2 serious incidents where I ended up with broken helmets - one I fell off, the other horse and I both hit a tree due to her spooking out of a jump flanked with them and just ended up with severe concussion.

Its not worth the risk, IMO people theres no difference galloping along the beach to galloping at home but funny how some people wear them adamantly everywhere except the beach!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  18. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

PMSL!!!!!!! I'm 30 Perthian *#) And just to point out, at no point did I say I DON'T wear a helmet .. I said I don't always wear one, on a certain horse, in certain situations ;) ie having a ride up to the stables from the paddock, on the beach, in the school from time to time - in general I would say I wear a helmet 95% of the time. That other 5% is my considered choice - I have spent 26 years with horses, I am not a novice.

I have a parent who worked with paraplegics, many of them the result of horse falls, I am not naive ;)

If only a helmet would protect my hubby in his job lol!!!! Seriously, he has a high risk license to perform the work he does, and I am not complaining, so fair's fair :}

Just remember - LIFE IS A TERMINAL ILLNESS!!! :D

19. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

lol!!!!! :d

20. caitie

caitie Well-known Member

I always wear a helmet my head is too important! I have fallen off at the beach and smacked my head and my horses head together and i had no helmet on (one of the only times) and i actually forgot until it was too late! Never again even riding bareback on my old bombproof pony the helmet still goes on my parents would kick my ass if the saw me and i am 20 :D