Do judges need to reset the criteria for hacking?

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Que Sera Sera, Dec 31, 2010.

1. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Bitchiness might be the wrong word LOL. Maybe "exclusive" is better. I find that at hack shows people strike up conversations with people they don't know. While at dressage comps people come for their test then bugger off and there is no real social side to the competitions. Unless you know everyone already anyway :D

2. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

It does swab - depending on which one you use they all have different times.

Its just that the detection time is a lot shorter than with systemic corticosteroids or phenylbutazone **)

3. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

ah yeah those fancy rigs and those fancy horse/float set ups. If i had the money i would have a big fancy rig too.......:)*

I had better check my ticket from new years, i might have been lucky lol.

I have met some lovely lifelong friends at the shows, some of whom dont even do horses anymore. I enjoy going to the shows, i used to get frustrated with all the big $$$ spent on the ready made champion horses, knowing i dont have the money to keep up. I dont let that worry me anymore it just drives me to do better with my horses which i have to buy as youngsters and produce, yes it takes me longer but i love it. In the long run, the average Jo's are usually the people who will still be here in 20 yrs time when the big guns will be gone and forgotten. No horse or rider is unbeatable, it has been proven many times before.

I bet you cant remember the big guns in the 80's

Happy showing all....................:)*

4. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

I can remember a few Scorpio mind you I was just a child then, most have moved on to bigger and better disciplines or are no longer competing or have past away.

At the end of the day you do the best with what you have, work hard, train hard and if you get a broad sash from something you have produced yourself more power to you and your bank balance :) Oh and had FUN doing it!!!!!!

5. Cav

Cav Gold Member

You are the proof in the pudding though Scorpio, look at how successful Cabaret and Oz have been just to mention only a couple of your successful champion ponies that you have worked hard on and gone to the top on many occassions!!

Even back then it was still corrupt though ;) I will always remember idolising Morningside Pennylane and Glen Avon Divinity when I used to compete as a young rider....beautiful ponies and had wonderful riders and were always hard to beat!!!

I still maintain though that noone ever competes hoping for a 6th place ribbon :) We all secretly go to shows hoping to win the blue one or the big one!

6. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

what was Glen Avon Divinity's breeding? by Caradog?

7. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

Yep that was back in my kiddie days too Cav. I still remember thinking Briary Chipmonk was pretty sh*t hot when he came to WA

8. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Pfft yeah HOT wasnt the word for it! More like out of control. Wasnt my cup of tea.

9. jmk

jmk New Member

Rotherwood Footlight out of Medweena Duet

10. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

Haha yeah perhaps if I rephrased that to just hot!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  11. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

FYI - do you know Pennylane is over in Victoria plodding around with a wee tiny tott doing pony club. Still a beautiful pony!

I remember beating her for champion large pony at the Autumn horse show, then Divinity beat me for supreme.

HA who remembers the night a lady i know went in the bareback rider at the Autumn horse show then went onto to be champion rider - bareback!!! that was hillarious she was just a girl who went to my local pony club and presented and rode really well and won!!! There sure was some sour faces put out of joint that night.

The Autumn horse show hacking on the saturday night was big stuff, ES judges etc and supreme hack was a wintec saddle............:)

Each horse has its time if it is given the right chances with the right owners etc, enjoy your horses. I do agree it is time for more judging education and competitors too :)*

12. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I used to love the Autumn Horse Show! Was one of the best shows on the calendar :)

13. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Autumn Horse Show was the best show of the year, had a great vibe and a great program. Loved everything about it, except the heat. The night time hacking was awesome and heaps of people stayed for the weekend which made for a great social time. Would be a great show to be ran again.

14. fuddles

fuddles Well-known Member

hacking is still the same as it was 30 odd years ago nothing has changed

drugs in show hacks were in your face, one of my very good hackie friend well what can l say, taking a green horse to a show and showing it to a prospective buyer out came the jab, it was nothing to see horses cantering around with willies hanging out. It wasnt until the Horse Mag came out and loudly criticized the very accepted practice of drugging that something was done about it

we winged about the $$$$ people spent back then on clothes and horses if you didnt wear Louis Epstein you didnt get a look in. Way back then a ready to wear L.J jacket about $250.00 a tailored jacket made to measure $500.00 (plus the trauma of being being measured by Mr keith )my wage a $130.00 a week.

Cost has always been a factor but now that the saddlery store chains market riding wear as fashion wear, if you dont wear the designer labels well just dont bother going to a clinic coz your target shirt just doesnt cut it, gotta have the Anky shirt the isabel saddle the designer breeches to be a some one worth knowing.

Wonder what the fab Fab would be worth now :))now that was a show horse, we used to winge and wail about him showing up at our shows how unfair it was to compete against a professional but you know what. we all sat in awe if you ask any of the oldies Fad was the horse. He was not sold on but retired to live at Chris Hectors the horse mags owner.
    Fad wasnt about the $$$$ he could have been sold for

15. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Gosh she must be getting on now Scorpio! My Balmoral Morven is retired and 26yo now....and I got 2nd with him in the Height 13hh.13.2hh at a royal show. Who would even dream that a heavyweight roan australian pony could acheive that at a royal!! :)

And I loved the autumn horse show too especially when my little Aussie grey mare Kingsfred Mystique beat Kira Serenity who had just won Sml Pony of the Year. Also stoked when my same pony was Reserve champion small pony at Gosnells Masters sadly a couple of years before they made it a qualifier :)

Gosh I have some great memories. I will never forget a royal with my Falconhurst pony though where the judge put me 3rd and said, "you would have won the class but your pony is too pretty too be a gelding" - In my HEIGHT class!!!!! WTF? :) See screwed up back then...still screwed up today :D**)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  16. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Serenity, I know about the drink part...one show I was offered a hamburger and a coke at the end of the day as payment for juding all day from 9am until 4pm!!! like I said...FOR WHAT? And sometimes competitors forget that us judges CAN actually hear every word that is said on the sidelines, so when Im there judging a class, place my horses and hear people on the sidelines saying "that stupid judge doesnt know what she is doing".....well...really why would you bother anymore???

I can also vouch for Geraldton treating judges like royalty! Best time up there, lovely people and very well looked after! **)

For now Im not showing in showhorse until my foal is old enough to break in then my daughter, IF she wants to learn to ride, can start off at pony club and work her way up like I had too.

Ive learnt that there is way more to life than just horses :)

17. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

I agree and disagree, I got 20/20 in the EP last year for costume with a made to measure black cavallry twill hunt jacket made in the UK for 220 pound alot cheaper than a Wagners Garryowen jacket at $1500. I don't belive you have to spend HUGE bucks on saddlery and outfit as long as it fits perfectly, you look the part, wear it well and present to win you are almost there!!!!!

You can have the most expensive horse, gear, outfit but if you cannot ride and present to win what is the point?????

18. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Even the EP isnt judged correctly. The winner one year had black bridle and dark brown saddle and her flower was on the wrong side.

19. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Oh ok. not one of Hazels ponies then?

20. katelol

katelol Guest

I'm with you Merlin, I've always been a bargain shopper and I believe you can get the gear together for a reasonable price. But hacking has always been full of the type of people who believe the more something costs the better it must be. Sensible people know that price does not always reflect quality :)))