Do I need insurance?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by Naomi, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

I own a 14yo gelding used only for Pleasure and the occasional unofficial show. He is in good health, quiet, well mannered and doesnt make trouble for himself. Im thinking about insuring him and would like a basic idea of what I would pay and be covered for. I am most interested in covering myself against any damage he does to other people or property. Can anyone recommend someone or give me thier thoughts?

"It is often said that if a dog is a man's best friend, then a horse is a man's best slave."

2. Mouse

Mouse Well-known Member

Hi Naomi

You may find that because of your geldings age the insurance may be a bit costly. Have you considered joining the EFA then you will both be covered.

Mouse

3. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

Thanks Mouse, exactly what would the EFA cover me and my horse for? Is it still the right sort of insurance for us because we dont really show?

"It is often said that if a dog is a man's best friend, then a horse is a man's best slave."

4. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

efa covers a few things. you will have to check their latest policy though for the updates. if you are doing training clinics, lessons, unofficial shows, the may ask you to have efa membership or take out a daily membership for that event.

if you get insurance for your horse, each comapany has different covers, some cover part of vet bills, others only cover if the horse dies or no longer can do what it was bought for etc. you would want to have a good look through, not just for the best deal, but what they cover too. i think, most companies only insure a horse if it is worth $1500 and up and usually pay anual fees around 10-15% of the value.

-bec-

5. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

Hi Naomi
    I can probably find Beryl Brooks' number somewhere as we use them for insurance, but I'm not sure it would be worth it in your case, they refused to insure our horses after they turned 16, even though they were in good health. Having insurance for the horse itself is a good thing, but you have to get annual vet checks etc which is a bit of a pain. And yes, they do have to be worth over a certain amount, although how you would prove that I'm not sure.....

6. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

EFA WA offer
    - covered by insurance 24x7 365 days a year
    - register all breeds and collate all comp details of your horse
    - give expert advice and support
    - compete at official or associate events
    ....more

check out efanational.com for more details

-bec-