Do horse's have duclaws???

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by ljp, Nov 15, 2007.

1. ljp

ljp Well-known Member

Hi guys,

Years ago a pal of mine made me feel her Arab x mare's fetlock joint. Behind it was a horny, short stub. Like another toe. It was pointy and small. We were both facinated that she had them. You couldn't see it, only feel it. My QH x mare doesnt.
    My new mare of uncertain breeding has them too!!!
    What is it?????

2. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

They do have a chestnutty kind of growth there that is small and usually hidden by hair

3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Isnt it called a ergot?

4. HeidiBoo

HeidiBoo New Member

I've found they're a lot more prominent on our cobs than TB's etc.....

5. ljp

ljp Well-known Member

Hmm, so, is it a chestnut??

6. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

It is an Ergot! If you believe in evolution it is what remains of horses original 3 toes, the chestnut is the other[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  7. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

My tb has quite substantial ergots, they are funny things aren't they, she likes them massaged :)

8. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

My friesian warmblood has huge ergots. If you don't cut them off they get longer and longer and start curling up, like overgrown fingernails. I just pull mine off like you do with chestnuts.

9. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

I think Chickie has these - does anyone want to pull them off for me?

10. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Soak them with warm water JT, then they usually just sort of peel off, it is quite fun, like picking scabs *#) Gross aren't I!

11. horseygal44

horseygal44 Well-known Member

I think that's what it is. I read about them once. Koda's got them. Or that might be Danni...

12. Arab Lover

Arab Lover Well-known Member

they are ergots and all horses have them on each leg, some are small and some are larger but they are there on every horse

13. amandasmith

amandasmith Well-known Member

Kym's grow really big and until a few shows ago I thought that was just her and that they were permanent. I mentioned it to Sallie and she said you can just pick them off or cut them off (with scissors etc - they were really long)! I have to admit I was a little unsure and made her cut them off (I was being a bit of a chicken). Kym didn't seem to feel a thing when she did it -they really are just like chestnuts (I'm happy to pick them off).

14. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

HAHA JB! Ewwww!

Had a bit of a feel last night and their tiny, like little peanuts hehehe