Do Combos rub mane out???

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Diablo Equine Services, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Diablo Equine Services

Diablo Equine Services Well-known Member

Hi all,

just wondering if there is any truth to the 'myth' that combos rub horse's manes out?? I have a horse with a luscious mane, and have bought him a cotton combo with the satin lined neck... do you think it will rub?????????:confused:

2. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

I have never had a lot of luck with them but the main thing is to keep them clean (I have 2 and rotate) and keep the mane clean too... free of dirt and grease..... my friend has no probs at all with her mare though

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

My ponies are in cotton combos all year, as under rugs in winter and as summer rugs...no problems...but this winter I used synthetic combos and had two ponies with no mane in the middle. I think it is the over heating (not so much the material) that makes it fall out, or maybe the heat makes them itchy and they rub it out (but haven't seen them rubbing):confused: Anyhoo went back to cotton combos with canvas rugs..problem solvered:)* I change my cottons every sunday

4. pso

pso Gold Member

If you keep them clean, and they are a good size and fit...then there shouldnt be a problem!
    Watch for some of the cheaper ones tho...the neck piece is often smaller than the size of the horse... (eg same size neck part for all sizes 5'9 thru to 7ft...)
    :))

5. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I only use combo's & on the odd occasion, i use a rug instead.

Never had any problems & several of my neddies have extra long manes, so more importance in keeping everything clean & not overheated.

The thing is, i dont understand (im ready to duck :D) why people use soo many bloody neckrugs/hoods on at 1 time, they dont need it & thats 1 of the biggest reasons (as is dirty manes & dirty rugs) manes fall out!

6. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

Yes a combo rubbed out some of Frits mane. I was then told to put paddock plaits in it as this would stop the rubbing and it made a mess of his mane, so I don't use a combo on him.

I do use them on my daughters TB and his mane is fine.

7. Diablo Equine Services

Ok,

I bought one of those new weatherbeeta (ha, i call them warmblood beaters!!!)

deluxe ones with the cross over surcingles and the satin mane..looks well made... but im not a real rug enthusiast so i dont really know!

The neck part seems to be quite large.

Maybe attaching it to the headcollar all the time to keep it from slipping up and down??? any thoughts on this???????

8. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I change cottons weekly and had only one fairly light synthetic on when my pony disposed of the better part of the middle third of his mane.

9. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Combos usually stay up fine, no need to attached to a halter...probably not safe anyway. As the others have said the key is keeping it clean and the mane clean!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  10. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I have the same cotton wbeeta as you Diablo, mine are both fine, no rubs :)

11. Arab Lover

Arab Lover Well-known Member

they must fit good aswell as keeping them clean

12. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

Yeap totally agree, not very safe keeping a halter on when padocked! :)*

13. Diablo Equine Services

I have to keep a halter on... as i am agisting a stallion at another person's property, if he gets out, people need to be able to grab hold of him easily (he is very unfriendly with new people!).
    Plus he has a flyveil on all the time...

14. wooki

wooki Well-known Member

i think wether a rug rubs depends on the horse an dhow the neck rug fits
    cals mane always get rubbed out by cotton rugs (even if they are lined) but he does have a funny shaped neck and its hard to find neck rugs that fit him properly

as for halters on when a horse is in a paddock- im not a huge fan but there are some circumstances that i think halters are a good idea ie: the stallion mentioned above
    as long as the halter fits properly and the fences & trees are maintained (nothing to get snagged on, unless your horse is seriously creative)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  15. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Any neck covering can and will rub out a mane. It depends on the amount of static electricity that the horse gives out.
    This static electricity will be worse with anything that is or has synthetic in it, and quite a lot of so called cotton does have a certain amount in it.
    I found that by far the best protection from any rubbing was to put lambs wool along the top of the neck rug and also in the shoulders of the rug that is closest to the horse.
    After doing this, I never had another rug rub, or lose a manes.

16. Diablo Equine Services

ok, i might give that a go - where do you get the wool from???

17. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

I dont know what sort of markets you have at your disposal, but I have bought lamb skins at Paddy's Markets in Sydney, or the baby ones that you can buy to put a baby on.

18. Lily

Lily Well-known Member

My retired pally wears a WB combo in winter and yes it rubs his mane out each year, but since he has been retired due to injury for nearly 5 years now I stopped worrying about it. But then, 2 years ago it rubbed the mane out and it simply never grew back, so he has a section of mane about a foot long and feral looking, and another section of mane about 3cm long and fluffy. It's not a good look really.... If anyone knew Omar when we were competing, thats a sight you would not imagine! He always used to look spick and span...

19. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Yep I have one of those and I find if its not attached to a headcollar it rubs his mane out. I have found that with most combos though.

20. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I have never had a problem with combos rubbing the mane out on any of my horses.

At most mine will only have a cotton and a heavier neckrug on though even if they have an extra rug on :)