DNA Colour Testing: Australia?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by magicmaker, Dec 1, 2008.

1. magicmaker

magicmaker New Member

Hello there.

We have just had a lovely SE filly born but she is proving difficult to classify in the 'colour' department.

Her overall body colour (including her lower legs) is chestnut, but her mane and tail carry predominantly brown/black hairs. I suspect she may be a bright or light bay without the normal black stockings that most bays carry, but we can't be absolutely sure.

We thought we may DNA test her to get an absolute answer prior to registering her but have so far only found agencies who can do this test in the USA.

Does anyone know of an organisation within Australia who do colour testing from hair samples?

Any advice or insights would be fabulous and much appreciated.

Thanks heaps.

2. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

The Australian Equine Genetics Research Centre in QLD can do
    Chestnut Coat Colour
    Cream Dilution
    Overo Lethal White

So you could test to see if she's chestnut through them, but I don't think it's any cheaper than to do it in the US labs that have a lot more colours you can test for. I use the US for colour testing as do most people I know.

Your filly sounds to me like a bay though. Foals don't usually get the dark legs until later.
    Cheers!

Danni

3. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Who do people use in the US?

4. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

5. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Cheers :)

6. magicmaker

magicmaker New Member

Thanks so much for that Danni :eek:)

7. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Magic maker..how old is your filly ? only cos if you wait until her foal-fluff goes, she should show you her right colour **)..

lol, I had a colt like this, Dam was chestnut & the Sire was bay..hes what I call-bright-bay- with very little black on his legs..I can go and get a pic for you if you like... hes now a 2 year old?

cheers
    Lee

8. magicmaker

magicmaker New Member

Hi Lee - the little lady was only born on November 25th, so she's just 6 days old. LOTS of months to wait before that foal fluff sheds I'm afraid :(
    I forgot to mention that whilst we know the black stockings are not evident straight away, there are usually smokey-greyish coloured hairs where the black points will eventually materialise. This little one is 'smokey-grey' free in the leg department lol so I guess there will be no black 'leggies' at a later date! I'd love to see what your boy looks like now if you have any pics - and if you have any foal photos of him I'd be OVERJOYED!! Can you post photos in the discussion forum? I wasn't sure if you can or not.
    Thanks blossom :)

9. citygirlatwork

citygirlatwork New Member

Hi H. :)* thanks for the pics of your little girl...yes yes please put some pics up on here ! we all love photos of babies lol....I'll see what I can do re my boy **)

cheers
    Lee

p.s yes Ki did a fab job with your girl at the States..congrats :)

10. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

To the best of my knowledge the lab in Qld will only deal with breed societies and not directly with members of the public. It also costs more than the US labs plus you have the association costs on top of that. For instance, the OLWS test through the Paints costs nearly twice as much as getting it done directly yourself through one of the US labs so I'd imagine it would be the same with the other colour tests.

I also know someone was recently told to wait until the foal shed its coat for the first time before sending hair samples. I wouldn't have thought DNA changed but there must be a reason for them advising people to do this.

11. Em

Em Well-known Member

I had one that sounds similar. She is bay but her red coat is sooo chestnut it is not funny. Her black legs barely extend past her fetlock

As a bub....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and later, haven't got any recent photos
    [​IMG]
    and a close up of an injury on her hind fetlock she had which shows just how high her black legs don't extend! :)
    [​IMG]

12. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Hi Em lovley filly :)*...the Dam was bay, what colour was her Sire ?

Cheers
    Lee

edited to add..this is Magicmakers filly { I think I've got the right 1 :) } I would say Bright-Bay

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  13. Em

Em Well-known Member

Kandy's dad was 7/8 arab palomino so of course a chestnut dilute! :)

MM filly does definately look like a bright bay - love to see more pics though **)

14. belambi

belambi Active Member

we have used the Arizona lab for about 5 years.. excellent and prompt and efficient. I get about 30 tests done each year.

However, have recently been contacted by Massey Uni in NZ, they have now started and may certainly be an option for the future.

Equine Parentage and Animal Genetic Services Centre (EPAGSC)

15. belambi

belambi Active Member

the reason for waiting for the coat to shed is that the foal coat often 'leaves' the roots behind when pulled.

16. samm

samm Gold Member

Yep she's bay.Had one born a similar colour and no doubting now she's definite bay as she's matured.
    Ear tips and inside ear colour usually give it away.

17. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Ahhhhhhhhh!.**) Thanks for clearing that little mystery up. Was wondering if a recent discovery in equine genetics had somehow passed me by - foal DNA somehow miraculously changes into adult DNA at the first foal coat change ........... :D

18. belambi

belambi Active Member

No..nothing that exciting!..Sorry.**)

19. QH Rulz

QH Rulz Well-known Member

We have had 3 foals... all bay (variety of colours) but one thing i did notice with them all is that they are born with cream legs which only went black once they got older,

Could it just be baby fluff you are seeing...