DIY Float Repairs...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Arnie, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

My float needs a few things replaced, things that we can do ourselves. I went into the local hardware store today - Two Dogs (Home Hardware) to see what they had but they had nothing.
    At the moment what I'm looking to do is replace the hinges on my ramp (there's three) as the middle one is old and rusted off and the other two are straining.
    Where would I go to buy hinges strong enough to do the job?

I'm also looking for a door handle thats flush with the float (so you just flick it up to open it) but not sure where to even start to find one of those.

After that we're padding the float out and would love to know what thickness foam to use or the best foam you recommend and what is it covered with?

No experience in this but we're giving it a go!!!

Also any tips on how to get something welded off?

2. GypsyRose

GypsyRose Well-known Member

Have you considered going to a car place? they might be able to point you in the right direction for the springs, as for the foam i'm not sure. Might be a bit hard where you are though.

3. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

4. kim

kim New Member

I would say go to a float repairer. You don't want your ramp falling off when you're driving.

As for the padding, I have seen some really think and some really thin padding. Personal choice. I would go for something maybe a couple of inches thick. And cover with vinyl. Try Clarke Rubber, they have everything you need there.