Direction of Bays in Truck

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Bruce the Goose, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Bruce the Goose

Bruce the Goose Well-known Member

Hi

We are looking at upgrading our gooseneck to more compact truck and have found a decent one but the bays face into the centre of the road instead of the normal (well what I consider normal) direction of to the outside of the road.

Does any have or used a truck/gooseneck that faces to the inside of the road?

I have heard before that it may cause travel sickness from horses seeing all the traffic go past??

Understand that it probably wouldn't be as nice as facing other direction due to noise of traffic etc but just wondering if there are any other problems with it.

It can't be changed back to normal facing bays due to underchest storage and rug racks already been fitted otherwise we would just modify it.

Cheers Tracey

2. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

Given the camphor of the road i would think it would actually be better for the horses - i know it would be better for the trailer design.

3. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

I think facing left is normal... In America. We drive on the left side of the road so your truck allows horses to face right, uphill with the camber of the road. Same reason as loading heaviest horse on the right of a straight load. I think the left facing ones have been accepted here despite the balance problem because lots of people are stuck in the ritual of leading and loading from the left side.

Why would thru get carsick facing to right instead of left? Stuff wizzes past on both sides.

4. Bruce the Goose

Hey Blackbat

Few years ago large group of polocrosse riders went east for nationals and horse on a truck got travel sick and truck bays faced into centre of road. Some people thought this might have caused the sickness or at least contributed to it.

I haven't had any experience with transporting horses facing into centre of road so don't know if it?s a good or bad thing.

Don't really want to buy a truck with bays in this direction and then have problems with the horses travelling. But then if truck is well set up and well priced don't want to not buy it just cause bays face in a different way. If you get what I mean.

Cheers Tracey

5. PPH

PPH Guest

the truck you are looking at will carry more of the weight on the downhill side of the camber.
    if you face them left the most weight is up the camber.

6. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

The truck we had was a head to tail set up and we never noticed a difference in traveling or sickness.

7. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Our gooseneck is set up so you can travel the horses facing either way, we have tried both ways over the years, and ever noticed any difference, and we do a fair of travelling all over the countryside :p

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  8. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

i cart 5 minis in an open trailer. 4 face the road center, one the outside.
    the 4 facing the middle seem happier as they get to see whats coming, rather than just hear a big noise go past.

9. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Alright now I'm confused. It doesn't take much. I had always been told the opposite. Explained to me as : horse carries most weight over front legs, the road camber slopes down towards the left of the lane, and if facing left towards the curb, its facing downhill with bum highest putting even more weight on left side?

Can someone set me straight, with explanations please?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  10. samm

samm Gold Member

With our truck when you look at the horses from the base of the ramp their heads point to the left or curb side not roadside.They seem to travel fine this way and I can angle load the bays if need be.

11. Bruce the Goose

blackbat, thats the argument my hubby has for the truck, horses carry most weight over the front legs/chest so weight would be to the inside of the road. Thus making vehicle travel easier/better.

My feelings is that you see less trucks/goosenecks with horses facing inwards to centre of road than outwards so outwards must be better. :)

cheers Tracey

12. noddy

noddy New Member

13. MissDQ

MissDQ New Member

I've always believed that they should be angled facing to the road, bums at the curb to allow weight off the front legs ? We have a straight load but whenever I take Taffy anywhere by himself he's much preferred to stand like that with the divider across. We did try the other way but he lost it.