digging

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by mum of five, Dec 19, 2007.

1. mum of five

mum of five Well-known Member

I have Danny on a weight gain regime at the moment, and all seems to be going well, BUT he has the worst habit of digging while he is eating, I mean there is a huge hole in frount of his bin every mealtime, he must use so much energy while he is eating, he is a real fidgit.
    Why does he do this, and is there anything I can do to stop him?

2. Jess&Sabby

Jess&Sabby Well-known Member

we have a horse like tha. he looks like he is verticle most the time haha have no idea why he just paws all the time when eating. would be interested to find out why

3. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Has he just started ? If so i'd say its the flies :)

4. mum of five

mum of five Well-known Member

nope

He has always done it, but now Iam giving him two feeds a day, iam running out of flat ground to put his feed bin on......lol and yes he looks ridiculous near the end of his feed cause his withers are abot 18 inches lower then his rump! He then manages to make himself look completely stupid by falling in the hole!

5. mineees

mineees Gold Member

a LARGE piece of rubber mat will fix that.and attach his feed bin to it or the fence so he cant move it around...:))

6. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

No idea then sorry, but we have a few bum high ponies at the moment due to flies haha.

Maybe put some rubber down?

7. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Some horses dig at feed time because they really enjoy their food! It is an expression of enjoyment.

Try putting some tyres (4+) around the ground area of his feed bin and that should cut the pouring.

8. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

yep my little stock horse digs to china at feed time he will even dig in the big sqaure bale of hay lol

rubber carpet something flat under his front tootsies

9. Feuer

Feuer Guest

My boy digs a little when he first starts to eat his chaff feed......I think h ejust enjoys his food a lot! He moves his bin around a bit so he doesnt actually dig a hole :)

10. cowgirl_in_disguise

cowgirl_in_disguise Active Member

confusing

hmnm...is he an enerjetic horse if so maybe he is bored when hes eating and doesnt want to leave his food so he can run does he dig when not eating. he might just be bored and wanting to do something exiting! my horse digs alot when hes standing still i dono why he doesnt just run around but when it comes to ctahing him he runs so my horse is just bored. it also means a chance of colic by digging they want to get to the roots under ground and eat them but he woodnt be eating his feed if he had colic try taking him out of the normail eating paddock and put him in a new one or bigger one he might not be so bored or give him a ball to play with.:confused:

11. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Sometimes it is a response to being prevented from eating the natural way a horse would normally eat - ie grazing, and taking steps as they graze so that they are constantly moving and eating. Some horses get frustrated by eating in one spot, and will dig or shake a leg.

A large piece of rubber as suggested above will help with the pawing issue :) and providing adequate turnout and grazing.