Different Color Roans!

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Coliban Quarter Horse Stud, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Hi delrae
    coud you please define what do you mean by a varnish roan? is it a mini horse termin?
    Alyandmontana
    feel free to pm me.
    Actually, i had a look at the foal again and the hip is lighter than the shoulder, it is tipical for a roan so as for a blanketed appy.
    lena:D

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Yes what is a varnish roan?

As she got older she went pink, she was known as the pink foal lol,

3. mum of five

mum of five Well-known Member

really interesting seeing the differences in the colours. My Mali who is reg Grey and Iam sure is one, looks just like red/bay roan. he has no grey hairs near his eyes etc either, His owner told me he would grey out very early but this winter coat almost seems darker, he also has a dark dorsal stripe. his father was a chestnut and mother a grey so iam sure he is grey however ai would love him to be roan**)

4. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Just found out the mare also had QH in her so thats probably where the roaning came from.

So mare was Tb/Appy/QH and Dad Cleveland/Hanoverian.

5. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

I may be wrong about your filly... but a varnish roan is not related to the roan family but is appy bred which I see your filly is... anyway interesting reading

Quarter Horse Photos - Horse Pictures.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  6. Thanks Delrae
    interesting about leopard patten in a QH isnt't it?:D

7. roadstergirl

roadstergirl New Member

hello.
    i fell across your posts on roan horses. i have a roan standardbred mare she is definately purebred. There are a lot of them in N.Z. so ive heard. i would love to see a photo of your standardbred gelding blue roan. The blue roans are pretty rare. ive had a look at your stud site coulnt pull up the roan stallion pic. have you still got him. he throws nice foals.

8. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

The mare in question above in Simbins post belonged to me, L had her on permanent lease. It is very questionable her parentage, we never had any proof just that she was born from a appy x TB mare. There were a few possible stallions in the area at the time. Poor girl she had such a hard life before i got her, which is why i bought her. Awesome horse on cattle though, very cowy

9. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

I was never a fan of roans, but I do like them when the bodies are almost white, and they have dark points :) - I prefer blue roans tho (black).
    This is my mini stallions sire:
    [​IMG]
    he has had some roan progeny too.

Can you confirm Lena, that roan does NOT skip generations?

As for varnish roans, thats an appy/spotty colour, and not a typical roan. Appy's tend to keep changing as they get older, we had a mare born blanket appy but developed into a leopard by the time she was 10 :)*

10. Roan factor is the same as being a palomino or a buckskin , a dun or a grey: one parent has to be one of the above for its offspring to exibit it.
    lena

11. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Varnish is part of the appaloosa complex...nothing to do with the roan gene, although it can look similiar**)
    Varnish Appys generally do not have the dark head like a 'true roan" Appaloosa Complex

[​IMG]
    a varnish appy

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009