Dentists ???

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Little Bean, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

Sorry for doing this one again I know it's been done many times before but I'm just wondering who people use and what you like about them?

I have a horse that won't go in a crush so I need someone who won't force the issue and is happy to work without the use of a crush.

I also need someone who can xray.

I think I like the idea of the female dentists but haven't used either so happy to hear your thoughts.

:))

2. Little Bean

Thanks for that SBB. Where is he located?

3. horsechickXS

horsechickXS New Member

Why dont you train your horse to go into the crush ??? Most dentists dont use a crush, most horses dont need a crush to be rasped. But at some stage if your horse gets sick it may need to go into a crush - what will you do then ?

A crush is used to keep people safe and a horse restrained.

Xray machines are expensive I would imagine - who would want their machine damaged by an unrestrained crush ?

My vet told me that studies have shown that at least 75% of accidents in the entire veterinary profession are related to working with horses -
    dental Work, obstetrics and examination of the distal limb are risky areas for horse vets.

4. Little Bean

Appreciate your post horsechickXS however the circumstances around this particular horse are such that crush training is not required. Nor are the details on why they are not required up for debate.

FYI the horse that requires x-rays is not the horse that can't go in a crush.

Additionally a lovely dentist has been booked :)

5. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Karl Buckley is a very excellent and highly experienced equine dentist. He lets them move around. I have used him for years.:)*

Greg Taylor is awesome for general maintenance work. And very good with the horses also.**)

6. bigredeventer

bigredeventer New Member

I won't use anyone but Mick from Equident.
    After experiencing issues from a well known dentist it makes me sad that after what I thought was a good job, he still had plenty of issues which turned into big problems becuase his mouth was sore. Mick took one look in his mouth and asked me if he was doing XYZ, fixed that day! Great bloke and I have total faith **) not sure about x-ray though!

7. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Kisten Jackson from Dental Vet does mine.
    She sedates and when I saw her 3 weeks or so back, she had an xray machine due any day.
    She does normally have the horses stand in her portable crush so I'm not sure if she'd be happy to work without it - but there's no harm in asking. ;) **)